IGNORED

Do you carry both light and dark helmet shields?

eddd

My new Scorpion helmet has an easy to change shield. I normally just bring a clear, and rely on my Transition eyeglasses. I'm thinking about purchasing a dark shield, but don't want to be carrying an extra item, if I wouldn't use it.

What has been your experience?

I mostly ride with just my dark visor. If I know I'm going to be out past dark, I'll bring the clear, but mostly it just sits at home. I'm not a big fan of night riding anyway.

Paul Mihalka

I always travel with both a clear and a dark shield. Using Fernando Belair's (Effbee) Helmet Shield Protector carrying is easy and safe. I love the full dark shield. Much cooler on the face than sun glasses or short top shield. I need the clear. I never know when I get into bad weather or riding in the dark.

I have a lightly tinted mirrored visor that I wear for about 98% of my riding. I keep a pair of clear safety glasses in my glove box for unforseen night time excursions. The only exception is when I head out for a long trip (multiple days)........in that case, I always take my clear shield along. I haven't used it in over 5 years, but I guess it makes me feel better if I have it.

Rocket_Cowboy

I carry both. When I travel I usually wear glasses instead of contacts, so don't have the option to wear sunglasses under a clear shield. I don't usually carry the dark/dark shield, I'll carry a medium tint shield, so I can ride it into darkness without too much concern.

I just bought a dark shield and Fernando's Faceshield Protector.

I plan on keeping the clear shield in the saddlebag.

JustKrusen

Scorpion has a photochromatic shield available now. It changes from clear to light tint and it's fog free. The only thing I did not like about it is that the tint is a shade of blue.

That said I carry both clear and light tint. I wear the light tint 99% on the time. Only change to clear if I ride more than an hour in the dark.

I always travel with both a clear and a dark shield. Using Fernando Belair's (Effbee) Helmet Shield Protector carrying is easy and safe. I love the full dark shield. Much cooler on the face than sun glasses or short top shield. I need the clear. I never know when I get into bad weather or riding in the dark.

+1 thumbsup.gif

I use a clear shield with a Supervisor, and wear glasses. I ride too much at night to want a dark shield and battle the early or late low sun too much to use just the strip at the top of the clear shield.

Used to, just picked up new Nolan N-Com 102. Has dark flip shield. Down during the day. Up at night. Sweeeet!!

ISYHTRAH

2wheelterry

I carry both shields nearly all the time if away from home. I also carry both sunglasses and clear safety glasses. If I'm riding in the sun, I use the sun glasses and the smoked shield. If it gets a bit overcast, I put the clear safety glasses on. If dark, I change the shield.

I like the idea of Panoptx sunglasses that transition from clear to dark, but have not made the plunge.

chrisolson
Used to, just picked up new Nolan N-Com 102. Has dark flip shield. Down during the day. Up at night. Sweeeet!!
So true, love mine ... why carry something extra and take the down time to switch when you don't have to ... thumbsup.gif

I carry both, even when I'm planning only daytime riding. My dark smoke Shoei shield is great in sunlight, but it's just too dark to wear when a storm moves in.

Another +1 for exactly the same reasons and using the shield protector from Fernando.

Mostly I travel with just the dark visor, but on long trips and evening trips I carry the clear visor in my tank bag. The curve at the end of the tank bag is just right for any visor to travel with a towel wrapped around it for protection.

cheers wink.gif

W. Mazelin

Clear shield on my Schuberth C-2, flip down sunshade, and I wear sunglasses (prescription). No need for two shields.

g_frank_nin

I have a scorpion too... I like the dark shield for day time runs and when I plan on riding past dark I use the clear shield and wear sun glasses. BTW, my Joe Rocket mesh jacket has a build in shield pocket… pretty slick. thumbsup.gif

I keep a pair of racquetball eye protection glasses on the bike just in case, but for trips I also pack the clear. I use the dark shield as my primary for most of my riding.

I carry both. I ride with the dark tint during the day and switch to clear if it gets too dark. I don't wear glasses, and I've tried the sunglass thing with the helmet on and it's just not comfortable for me.

thumbsup.gif

texasaggie97

I always ride with both visors in my saddle bags. I never know when I will be out past dark and my tinted visor is way to dark to ride at night. It is also safer to have both with you at all times.

RichEdwards

I use just one clear shield with the Sunblocker strip. My Transition lens eyeglasses do a great job of turning into sunglasses when it gets bright. I sometimes travel on the bike for a month at a time and fitting an extra shield into my luggage would be quite inconvenient.

Paul Mihalka

I just got myself a Nolan 102. I took off the tinted visor. For me it is too dark. With the Nolan I like to ride with the shield open one click, and that places the edge of the visor exactly in front of my eyes.

Another +1 for exactly the same reasons and using the shield protector from Fernando.

In addition, Transition lenses do not effectively darken behind the clear shield (or the dark shield) of my Arai.

In addition, Transition lenses do not effectively darken behind the clear shield (or the dark shield) of my Arai.

Always carry both for the reasons listed. Lost count of the number of times I have been caught in rain storm and needed to change the shield.

Clint

Sidmariner

I do carry an extra for my HJC CL-14 and CL-Max for a couple of reasons. After a few weeks of long miles I found the shield wouldn't stay up in the "cracked open" position because of wear, but a new shield did. Also, despite my care to use soapy water, good plastic cleaners and microfibre cloths my primary shield still became too scratched up for my liking.

All of these things could be repaired at home with a bit of time and TLC, and the hinge mechanism on the helmet could be replaced too, but who wants to do that on the road? Sod's law also states that you will not be able to find a replacement shield for at least a couple of days of travel.

So, for no matter what reason, big bug splooch, stone chip, accidental drop, or unfortunate scratch just in front of your one good eye, it's nice to know you've got a spare visor you can just slip on.

BTW, I think that's the purpose of the strange pocket in the back of most good quality jackets... to stow the extra shield.

Just to add to the discussion; I noticed that HJC makes a shield for snowmobiles which sticks out a bit farther and has a 1/2" gap built in the top. I suspect this is to reduce fogging up in winter. Since I ride all winter in the cold and damp I am considering trying out one of these shields next winter. It will be my second spare.

Bud Clarke

Another +1 here. thumbsup.gif

Sidmariner

Forgive me, I just realized I rambled on and forgot to answer the question. I too use the removable tint strip inside my visors. It works well and doesn't leave you blind in tunnels, rainsqualls, or at dusk. Taking off your sunglasses is a lot faster than stopping to remove your visor, plus it's less wear on the hinges.

NO.

I'm more concerned with fog.

So I recently went Pinlock w/yellow tint.

No fog, works 24/7.

Also added the obligatory 2 strips of electrical tape.

This covers almost all situations.

Once in a while I need to shade w/left hand for a short time when directly into the sun and I need to see 2-300 yards for deer.

Otherwise the tape is fine for cars, etc.

Carrying gear for 2 people would prohibit extra shield so Beth uses the Nolan w/flip down sunscreen. thumbsup.gif

I have the dark strip on mine as well. It was a good addition to the clear shield.

I am so cheap that I just put a couple of strips of black electrical tape (very neatly) across the upper portion of the clear shield. Works great and ya can't beat the price!

...Once in a while I need to shade w/left hand for a short time when directly into the sun and I need to see 2-300 yards for deer.

I've used this and been very happy with it.

closeup.jpg

Information can be found here. and purchased at a number of online retailers.

Regards,

Mike O

P.S. Not as cheap as electrical tape but at $19 cheaper and less space than another visor.

bakerzdosen

I carry a clear shield (99% of the time... I needed it yesterday because it rained and it was still in my tank bag from Torrey) to go with my mirrored shield. A big +1 for it being cooler in the helmet. I've got pretty sensitive eyes for some reason and so it's really tough for me to drive/ride in bright light without sunglasses or a dark shield. Mirrored shields die faster though... frown.gif

Mike, thanks, we wear modular helmets crazy.gif, but I'd test it's high speed capabilities if I go back to non-flip.

wave.gif

Hey Tim,

I use this on my Shoei Syncrotec which is a modular. The design of the Super Visor is such that it attaches to the visor NOT the helmet. It's actually quite clever and for those rare occasions I do switch shields to a dark tinted, I can easily change visors. Or, I can remove the Super Visor all together from the Shoei shield.

As for testing it at high speed, I've had the bike, helmet with Super Visor attached all the way to the legal speed limit of 75MPH. I have never traveled any faster than that (honest...I swear) so can't vouch how it affects handling say at 110 or so.

Regards,

Mike O

creekstone

Ditto. And the extra shield does not take much space; it fits perfectly into the curvature of my BigMak tankbag.

creekstone
Also added the obligatory 2 strips of electrical tape. This covers almost all situations.

Once in a while I need to shade w/left hand for a short time when directly into the sun and I need to see 2-300 yards for deer.

For the last 10 years, I've added reflect tape to the top of all my shields. (Think baseball cap vision...I'm very sensive to harsh light.) I also care 3M Painters tape (blue) for early/late day riding into the sun. Easy on...easy off. thumbsup.gif

Archived