IGNORED

Where to rent a BMW - Vancouver or Seattle ?

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

And if I should rent in either of those places, can we easily ride across the border (yes, we do have passports) ??

It being 2nd week of November, should I even condsider it, or better rent in Florida a week later ? wink.gif

Inquisitive minds want to know wink.gifwink.gif

RonStewart

You could rent my RT from me in Vancouver because there is no way I am going to be riding it in November. Wet, wet, wet. November is the month the wife and I like to go to Florida or Nevada. Sometimes you get a nice cold November day, but you can't count on it. And I don't have heated gear yet.

The highway between Vancouver and Seattle - Interstate 5 - is a first-class pain in the rain.

In Vancouver, there are no BMW rentals. You can rent a range of Harleys from Trev Deeley Motorcycles. There are a couple of places to rent 50 cc scooters, and that's it (assuming they are not closed for the winter).

In Victoria, there is a rental place with 3 Harley baggers and a Honda Valkerie. From time to time I see that fleet on its way to the ferry.

I have not crossed the border with a European citizen since 2002. That day we had to park the car and go inside the US Customs & Immigration building - adding 30 minutes to the trip southbound. She is a Canadian resident, so there was no hassle heading north.

One way or another, Francois, you must stop by during your visit to Vancouver.

Francois_Dumas

LOL ! Sounds great Ron. Just my luck that the one time I may be coming over it must be in November with only a day or two to spare smirk.gif

We're probably on to Florida from there, so the riding will have to wait I guess.

Thanks for the insight though ! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

bmurphypdx

Just to second the thought. Here in the Seattle area is no fun riding wise in November. As said above wet, wet, wet and I'll add cold and possibly windy. Down south is the place to be . . .

Cycle BC Rentals 1-866-380-2453

www.cyclebc.ca

They have two B.C. locations one in Victoria at 747 Douglas St. & one in Vancouver at 108 - W. 1st. Ave.

I just got this from the latest Cycle Canada issue.

Nov. sucks as far as weather goes. For that matter so does Dec. & Jan.

Hope this helps. thumbsup.gif

Lets_Play_Two
And if I should rent in either of those places, can we easily ride across the border (yes, we do have passports) ??

It being 2nd week of November, should I even condsider it, or better rent in Florida a week later ? wink.gif

Inquisitive minds want to know wink.gifwink.gif

FYI West Palm Beach Seattle

ave. Hi 80' 50'

ave. low 64' 40'

ave precip. 4.7"(warm) 5.8"(very cold)

Just some interesting statistics to think about in the planning process. grin.gif

It's always riding season down here in Florida!! I did a quick search and found these guys. I've never used them, but I do see that they do have R1200RT's. Where are you going in Florida as they have several Florida locations.

I am in no way affiliated with them either...

Cheers...

Richard

Agree generally w/ above -- probability on the weather is not great in November but there are some decent stretches of weather then -- it's just hit or miss.

Local multi-brand rental outfit near Seattle: http://www.mtsma.com/

Rented a Wing from them before and they were decent.

RonStewart
Cycle BC Rentals 1-866-380-2453

www.cyclebc.ca

They have two B.C. locations one in Victoria at 747 Douglas St. & one in Vancouver at 108 - W. 1st. Ave.

Oh, they have increased their presence and lineup since I looked last year. They used to just have the four touring cruisers in Victoria and scooters in Vancouver.

Francois, I have heard good things about Eagle Rider, but have no personal experience.

Francois_Dumas

Thanks everybody !! I'll save this thread.. Nov. still looks far away, but experience learns that one cannot plan too early.... the plans will change anyway grin.gifgrin.gif

We'd be staying in a place called Tequesta, near Jupiter, north of Miami. And I am not a sun/beach lover.... so Nov. is good for that region I suppose wink.gif

Lets_Play_Two
Thanks everybody !! I'll save this thread.. Nov. still looks far away, but experience learns that one cannot plan too early.... the plans will change anyway grin.gifgrin.gif

We'd be staying in a place called Tequesta, near Jupiter, north of Miami. And I am not a sun/beach lover.... so Nov. is good for that region I suppose wink.gif

The temps I quoted were for West Palm Beach. Tequesta is about 25 miles north of WPB, well within SE Florida (and a longggg way from Miami). We will have to meet up at Judy's Highway Cafe, a biker bar owned by a German BMW rider and his wife!!! It is in Tequesta and a very friendly place.

Francois_Dumas

The temps I quoted were for West Palm Beach. Tequesta is about 25 miles north of WPB, well within SE Florida (and a longggg way from Miami). We will have to meet up at Judy's Highway Cafe, a biker bar owned by a German BMW rider and his wife!!! It is in Tequesta and a very friendly place.

GOOD ! Finally a reason to go all the way out there ! grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Francois_Dumas

Richard, I meant to say that if I go visit him, it looks like I might be passing through town. I'd be thrilled to meet, but don't know our itinerary yet smile.gif My internet friend is 'tied' to his house being a disabled war vet.

No worries grin.gif. I was just letting you know that there are places in Florida that aren't dead flat and straight, and if you get the chance to get up here I'd be here to show it off.

I just got back from the west coast and I have never been there before. I was very impressed with the condition of the roads. Not like the roads in Ontario, we have frost heaves that you can get some air on and pot holes you could catch a bass in! LOL!

If you get a chance try and get out to Vancouver Island.

If possible you should try and rent a bike while in B.C. the riding and the views are amazing. That is if the weather cooperates.

Archived