IGNORED

killboy.com

motorman587

motorman587

There is a good article with pictures in this month's "Motorcyclist" or http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ with www.killboy.com on the dragon. The article is called "Crashers Anonymous" and great to look at pictures to see folks screw up which you do not want to do. The Dragon is the road in North Carolina to Tennessee that has 318 curves in 11 miles. Killboy takes pictures and post them on his web site. I have more than one. grin.gif I am not dinging anyone that wiped out just learn from the mistakes.

Hey John,

Saw you on TV again.

Try not to look like you're having such a good time.

grin.gifwave.gif

The photos from the Dragon By Killboy/girl, Southern Images, et al, can be fun.

A way to preserve a memory, or a way to see what happens when you try to break the laws of physics. crazy.gif

Our last trip photo was ruined by an orange Goldwing. dopeslap.gif

The one set where a guy runs wide and hits another bike which is on the far right side of the lane sure made me think twice about going back to the Dragon. dopeslap.gif

It is not only cagers who are trying to kill you.

RichEdwards

Our last trip photo was ruined by an orange Goldwing.

Maybe that's because of the date we chose to ride the Dragon:

153816572-L.jpg

(That's me my first trip through Deal's Gap on my GT---on Friday, the 13th. tongue.gifgrin.gif

Stormrider

Ok...I'm going to put on my asbestos(sp) suit here and go out on a limb about the Dragon. Is it mainly a bragging rights deal? I know it's very well known everywhere for bikes, sportscars, etc. Have any of these folks ridden around Western Arkansas lately.... Hwy. 7, Rt. 14, they have very scenic routes around the far Western parts of the Ozark National Forest. You want changing elevations, decreasing radius turns...we got 'em too!

I guess the Dragon is one of those right of passage things everyone has to try once or twice. I've done it twice, but saved my money for others things than a picture of myself riding around some curves.

Mind you I'm not trying to mock or be critical of anyone who does. Maybe I'll just be quiet and go for a ride... grin.gif

Ok...I'm going to put on my asbestos(sp) suit here and go out on a limb about the Dragon. Is it mainly a bragging rights deal? I know it's very well known everywhere for bikes, sportscars, etc. Have any of these folks ridden around Western Arkansas lately.... Hwy. 7, Rt. 14, they have very scenic routes around the far Western parts of the Ozark National Forest. You want changing elevations, decreasing radius turns...we got 'em too!

I guess the Dragon is one of those right of passage things everyone has to try once or twice. I've done it twice, but saved my money for others things than a picture of myself riding around some curves.

Mind you I'm not trying to mock or be critical of anyone who does. Maybe I'll just be quiet and go for a ride... grin.gif

I wanted to ride NW Arkansas during the Blitz to Branson, but, for reasons better left unsaid, I sat in the motel on Saturday. dopeslap.gif

But I still plan on going back.

Chris,

I don't think the OP, nor any regulars here are touting the Gap as the "best" or "most difficult" road.

It is one of many in the area. It is better known due to the Internet and the surrounding hype.

It is also more congested than most, if not all the other choices.

No one is putting down roads elsewhere.

Eureka Springs was the location for a rally from this board and Arkansas roads are well known and highly touted.

Relax, enjoy the ride. wave.gif

CEureka Springs was the location for a rally from this board and Arkansas roads are well known and highly touted.

Relax, enjoy the ride. wave.gif

Yes, indeed. I led the route planning (with help from two fellow riders) that year, and I think people were wonderfully surprised with how much great riding there was.

Here's a quote from the "Crashers Anonymous" article John mentioned at the start of this thread:

Deal's Gap's convulsive asphalt squirms through amazing scenery, and the local traffic is light. That certainly qualifies it as a fun road, but like Paris Hilton, much of what makes Deal's Gap famous is it's fame.

The Ozarks does offer good riding, I've been on all the well known routes the area is famous for at least 3 times over on various tours (02, 05, 06). Covering routes 3, 23,16, 7, and 21 with a few county roads, I can't remember. If there is a road in the area that rivals the Dragon, I guess I missed it.

But the area of East Tennessee, and Western North Carolina far out reaches the Ozarks in terms of scope, intensity of the curves, and smooth tarmac. The area is home to Cherohala Skyway, NC 28, the Blue Ridge Parkway, "Prison Road", and TN 30, just to name a few. The Smokies and the Blue Ridge offer twice the elevation. AND NO state lays ashpalt like Tennessee. Having spent quality time many times over in the lower 48, Tn has the smoothest roads by a long shot. If California could lay asphalt like them boys in Tennessee, you'd really have something.

In the east there is East Tn/Western NC and West Virginia, then everything else.

The Dragon is as good as they say in terms of pure fun. No driveways or side roads, so you don't worry about someone pulling out in front of you, hundreds of great curves in a short span make you feel like you're on a slalom run. The only problem is the amount of traffic. It does diminish the ride. It is not safe to ride the Dragon aggressviely, just too much can happen. It is sad it has become such a tourist spot. And alot of guys ride there to have their pic made. You just gotta take it for what it is. I still enjoy goin there to ride it once a year, and to look at the many bikes.

But heck, if you know where to look there are a number of roads in the area that are just as fun.

I know you're partial to the Ozarks brother, as you should be, but in terms of pure riding it ain't even close.

... but saved my money for others things than a picture of myself riding around some curves.

Well, the Dragon does happen to be the best way that I know how to get a nice action shot of you, your dad, and your brother so that you can put them all in a single frame and give your dad something to hang in the office to bring back the good memories.

Doing that at the track would be a wee-bit cost prohibitive for me.

But, in principle, I agree that there are lots of other great roads w/a lot less hype and traffic.

Lineareagle

You want a challenging road?

But with a good surface?

Arizona US-191 Clifton to Alpine!

That road was so intense I think I would skip it next time, it was a whole lot of work and pucker factor! One of those 'No Vehicles Over 30' ' roads!

94! thats right NINETY-FOUR miles that just went on and on and on with tight turns and switch backs.

Absolutely exhausting. tongue.gif

Stormrider

'No Vehicles Over 30' ' roads!

Hmmmm sounds very tempting.....like the roads in Northern Cal....around Eureka, etc....Man I've got to get back out West again.

• 2 weeks later...
Silver Surfer/AKAButters

But with a good surface?

That road was so intense I think I would skip it next time, it was a whole lot of work and pucker factor! One of those 'No Vehicles Over 30' ' roads!

94! thats right NINETY-FOUR miles that just went on and on and on with tight turns and switch backs.

Done it twice. Last time on the way North to Torrey. Awesome thumbsup.gif

PhillyFlash

But with a good surface?

US 191 (aka 666) is a pretty fun road, but you do have to take it carefully. The lower section has some places where the road surface is a little rough; there are many corners that are not well marked and you can't tell which way the road goes til you get to the crest of a hill; there are many deer along the way; the drop offs (if you make a mistake) are unforgiving; they patrol it with motorcycles, cars, and speed traps; some of the tighter corners have gravel; and there's always the possibility of a logging truck or mine truck. But on the plus side, there is very little traffic, and usually fairly easy to pass; the scenery is spectacular; it's cool in the summer; and the smile per mile ratio is way up there.

Tom (azkaisr) and I had a total blast running the 73 miles from Clifton to Alpine, even though we didn't push the limits. It's best not to ride 191 too hard, as there are many places where it can jump up and bite you. We also had a blast running down US 180, mostly on the New Mexico side, from Alpine to Mule Creek for 73 miles, where you have less tight, technical corners and more sweepers, and the additional 36 miles from Mule Creek (at US 180) across 78 to US 191, which is a combination of gentle curves through a beautiful western countryside, very tight, technical curves, and finishing up with some incredible sweepers. That's 182+ miles of pure riding bliss. As a matter of fact, we enjoyed it so much, Tom and I are thinking about putting together a little gathering in the region, possible for next Fall or Spring, just so all of you can find out for yourselves. But, shhhh, don't tell too many people or it will turn into another Torrey. Stay tuned. cool.gif

Oh, sorry for the hijack. You may now return to your regularly scheduled program.

As a matter of fact, we enjoyed it so much, Tom and I are thinking about putting together a little gathering in the region, possible for next Fall or Spring, just so all of you can find out for yourselves. But, shhhh, don't tell too many people or it will turn into another Torrey.

IN. Oh wait......sssshhh.

The same thing goes for Sturgis South Dakota. It's a place people go to for bragging rights. I'll just head up to Northern California and play in the giant redwoods.

As a matter of fact, we enjoyed it so much, Tom and I are thinking about putting together a little gathering in the region, possible for next Fall or Spring, just so all of you can find out for yourselves. But, shhhh, don't tell too many people or it will turn into another Torrey.

IN. Oh wait......sssshhh.

BrianT read my mind

grasslander

But with a good surface?

+++ Outstanding road - especially the first 45 miles north from Clifton! More deer as you get further north. Met a pretty cool ranger who gave us some good route tips. Great hamburger in Alpine BTW.

messenger13
The article is called "Crashers Anonymous" and great to look at pictures to see folks screw up which you do not want to do.
What kind of cop are you? You enjoying pics of crashes? confused.gif Nice. I guess if they were motorcops you'd be boohoo'ing instead of laughing. So typical!

I'm not a cop, but I enjoyed those pictures enought to even subscribe to the magazine...

Your total comes to $12.00 and you elected to pay by credit card.

This order was placed on Monday, May 21, 2007 2:50:25 PM Central Time.

http://www.ridermagazine.com

Killboy takes some great shots. Oh and BTW - I did laugh at some of these pictures.

motorman587
The article is called "Crashers Anonymous" and great to look at pictures to see folks screw up which you do not want to do.
What kind of cop are you? You enjoying pics of crashes? confused.gif Nice. I guess if they were motorcops you'd be boohoo'ing instead of laughing. So typical!

I am asking you stop this harrasment, this is not funny and have ask the mods to step in, you are stepping over you boundarys. Thank you.

Dave_Dragon

Joe, you should of read all of John's post.

"I am not dinging anyone that wiped out just learn from the mistakes."

Why don't you focus your attacks on me for a while, your MotorCop bashing has officially gotten old!

wrestleantares

Why don't you focus your attacks on me for a while, your MotorCop bashing has officially gotten old!

Yeah, that's how he ended the intro, but there in black and white it said: great to look at pictures to see folks screw up

I have to be honest I read that (and the rest of the post) and I don't see where his final line changes the meaning of the earlier in any way.

I read it and thought - Dang, what a jerk.

I made that run back in March '00. The road almost bite myself and Paul L. He was in the lead (faster than me) on rented BMW R850R from Frank in Phoenix. His tire spunout on a corner and so did mine but neither one did anything dumb. We just had a pucker moment.

Later in the day a snow storm made us spend the night in Springerville. We had 3" of snow on our bikes. That night we went to the movie house and saw the GREEN MILE with Tom Hanks. The movie house was really old. They had only one projector so there was a 5 minute wait so they could rewing the reel and load up the next one.

What a blast.

Bill

motorman587

Yeah, that's how he ended the intro, but there in black and white it said: great to look at pictures to see folks screw up

I have to be honest I read that (and the rest of the post) and I don't see where his final line changes the meaning of the earlier in any way.

Maybe great was not the greatest word to use. What I meant was, and this comes as a Traffic Homicide Investigator, that each crash has more than just, "he ran the light", "ran off the rode", if you look in some of the photos you can see, wrong lane placement, wrong body postioning, etc........ So great in this thread, I meant it to mean, great learning tool, learn from it.

Marty Hill

Ok guys, John is one of the good guys so let's think about changing direction. K?

The rest of the quote was which you do not want to do

What's so hard to understand?

Most of the time we rely on accident reconstruction from the accident scene, eyewitness accounts crazy.gif, or rider recollection.

A visual image that provides accurate feedback of what not to do may have some benefit to prevent it from happening to me/you.

I find that useful.

wrestleantares

What's so hard to understand?

The sound of sheer enjoyment from the first part. It came off as: I don't want any of you guys to wreck, but it sure is fun looking at these idiots.

That's my opinion. I don't think John is a bad guy. I've been on this board a long time. I think it was just poorly thought out, my first impression was it was a jerky thing to say.

I am not dinging anyone that wiped out just learn from the mistakes.

An excellent idea. It is a lot cheaper and less painful to learn from the mistakes of other riders than from our own.

Now if we can just get them to shoot video intead of stills........

Aluminum_Butt

Three things:

1. John - I understood what you meant in your original post. You're not the jerk in this situation as far as I'm concerned.

2. While searching for the article you mentioned I found 50 Ways to Save Your Life. It's full of a lot of good tips worth considering.

3. I can't find the Crasher's Anonymous article. I searched the site and Google. Can somebody post a direct link, or some guide on how to find it once you're on the site? TIA!

Three things:

1. John - I understood what you meant in your original post. You're not the jerk in this situation as far as I'm concerned.

2. While searching for the article you mentioned I found 50 Ways to Save Your Life. It's full of a lot of good tips worth considering.

3. I can't find the Crasher's Anonymous article. I searched the site and Google. Can somebody post a direct link, or some guide on how to find it once you're on the site? TIA!

+1

The article might only be available in the magazine (?)

Oh and BTW - I realized I put the wrong subsription in a reply up at the top of this thread. I put Rider instead of Motorcyclist. I did get a 3 year subscription for MC...

MOTORCYCLIST 3 YEAR MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION

Web address: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230137848932

Item number: 230137848932

Seller User ID: mag-mart

I'm not sure if that article is in all of their issues, but I sure hope it is thumbsup.gif

Archived