IGNORED

05,06,07 1200RT changes

bewareofdoug

bewareofdoug

Hi All,

Getting back into motorcycles after a 30 year absence. My last bike was a R90S. Have decided on a R1200RT this time around. I have searched the web for sites that might have what changes have been made from the 05,06, or 07 model years with no luck. If someone could point me in the right direction or outline what has changed it would be most appreciated. I do like to buy used, but will buy new if enough improvements have been made as this most likely will be my last bike.

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Western Colorado

Nothing significant from 05 to 06.

Main difference for 07 I believe is the omission of the servo assist brakes..

Or put another way: QUIET BRAKES!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

'05 louder dual horns and 4 way flasher button on the top of the left handle bar control.

'06 one wimpy horn, 4 way flashers activated with both turn signal buttons.

'07 no servo brakes and the real deal killer.... it doesn't come in RED!

and the real deal killer.... it doesn't come in RED!
thumbsup.gif

And that is the main reason I'm not upgrading to an '07 to get non servo brakes. I'd have to transfer all the red pieces grin.gif

That's not an omission... it's an upgrade...

"My 11/06 build 2006 has dual horns that give a good blast."

Are you sure it's not an 11/05 build date?

My build date is 03/06 and I got the wimpy horn. Maybe they went back to the dual horns for '07.

gettysburg

I had an '05 until last Dec.(Totalled bncry.gif); now I have an '07.

Some of the early '05 RTs had a very loud dual horn setup. Some owners complained that the CAN-bus would kill the horn if it was used for more than a second or two, but I never had that problem. It looks like the wiring/connection for a second horn may still on the '07(just capped off); I'm going to look into this further. I miss the horn on my '05

The brakes on the '07 RT are a much easier to use than the servo-assisted brakes on the '05 or '06

gettysburg
"My 11/06 build 2006 has dual horns that give a good blast."

My build date is 03/06 and I got the wimpy horn. Maybe they went back to the dual horns for '07.

I had the front end of my '07 RT apart last night, and it looks like the wiring for a second horn is till there(just capped off). I'm going to look into this further tonight.

I just ordered the dual horn set up to replace the single horn that my RT came with. I didn't want to cut the harness to install an aftermarket horn.

bewareofdoug

Thanks to all for the replys. Seems to be little difference in the model years, but now will have to look into the servo brake issue.

Doug

The one major thing we all forgot is the '07 RT is cheaper the the '05 & '06's where new. I guess when you factor in the cost of the servo brake system they can afford to drop the price a bit.

The one major thing we all forgot is the '07 RT is cheaper the the '05 & '06's where new.
My reply to this was going to be that the 2007 RT is less because it has fewer standard features than my '05 RT had. Well imagine my surprise when I added the cost of the cruise control and heated grips to the MSRP of the '07 RT and it turned out to be $280 less than my '05 RT MSRP. '07 RT is indeed cheaper. Wow.

Quote:

"Duh. Yes, I meant to say 11/05."

Ahh now that makes sense! My has a build date of 03/06 and only one wimpy horn! So somewhere in between these dates was the change.

Do you have the 4 way flasher button on the left handlebar control?

Archived