IGNORED

Second bike...

BeemerEric

BeemerEric

I tried this over on gsxr.com and did not get many serious repsonses. I guess I should have started here. smile.gif Ok well I was thinking about getting a second bike after I pay off my RT. The Suzuki GSXR 600 looks like a fun bike. You all think this might be a good way to go? I been riding my RT for about a year and half and about 2 years total.

-Eric

Stormrider

Nix the 6'er and get yourself a GS or similar dual sport bike if you want to have some fun! Now mind you I don't know what your definition of "fun" is either.

The GSXR is a nice enough bike, but why? You already have a great street, touring, etc bike. What exactly is it that draws you to the gixxer? confused.gif

BigGalloot

You didn't mention what you plan to do with it.

If you intend to commute on it or other some other less extreme purpose, it sucks. The riding position is painful and you need to rev the tits off of it to get any power. Just the way you need to crane your neck to see around you is misery.

If you intend to do track days or have some delicious curvy roads you can take it on, it's a hell of a bike. The riding position gives you great control and the power delivery is dramatic but fun.

Lastly, if you plan to leave your RT at home and go touring on the Sukuki you need professional help.

It all depends on what you want to do.

The ability to explore the capabilities of a MiddleWeight sportbike on the road is limited. It becomes an exercise in self control. I'm not saying that you won't get in trouble w/ the RT, 'cuz one is certainly capable, but any MW-SB can have you doing "go to jail" speeds w/ one shift. Just something to keep in mind.

A KLR650 or similar Dual-Sport bike would allow you to explore non-paved roads. You may end up getting more use out of one of these.

BeemerEric

Well it looks like nice machine and its not too expensive smile.gif I was thinking about track days and such. I had no plans for touring on it, that is for sure. Dual sport bikes do not interest me much right now.

motoguy128

I'd look at a lot of other bikes. The sportbikes have continued to get more focused on performance and less comfortable for actually riding on the street. There's some other bikes you might feel more comfortable on.

As far as 600's go. They are all great bikes. Each fits a little different and has slightly different styling, but it's so competitive that performance wise, it's basically a wash.

I personally prefer 1000cc bikes just for the low end torque, but the 600's do scream in the pwoerband.

I used ot own a ZX9R and an CBR600F4i before I bought my R1150R and a KLX250S dual sport bike.

If your mosly doing track days... definitely go for hte 600. The CBR600RR and the GSXR are considered the easiest to ride fast. The R6 and ZX6R and geared more for the advanced rider/amateur racer and more novice track riders usually go slower on them.

I'm with ya man.......I miss my crotch rocket.

I've had my RT for 2 years now, and I absolutely love it. It rides wonderful all day long, and has taken me coast to coast........but there is definitly still a part of me that wants to be hunched over, forearms burning, screaming down a backroad with little regard for the speed limit. I have also started toying with the idea of getting into doing some track days.

I rode a '97 GSXR1100 for the 4 years before my RT, and a '93 Katana 750 for a few years before that. I have increasingly noticed myself scouring the classifieds in the paper every week looking for that special (can't walk away from) deal that will put another bike in my garage. I don't think I will ever get another 1000cc+ bike (its really too much bike for the road to enjoy), but the 600s that are out on the market are an absolute blast to ride. Especially the ones from 5-10 years ago when they were still somewhat comfortable. I also prefer the GSXR models.......no real reason other than personal preference.

I say, if you like them......go out and take one for a spin, and see if its something you would be interested in riding. Its a whole different ball game from your RT. I know if you roll into any dealership around here on a nice looking bike (preferably one with a resale value higher than their bikes are new) they will most likely bend over backwards for you and let you test ride anything you want. Figure out exactly what you want and then start checking papers, classifieds, craigs list, ebay, ect.......for a nice used one. I personaly would NEVER waste my money on a new repliracer.

If you want a European sporty bike, give the Triumph Thruxton a look. One or the ERC students rode one last weekend. If you like a retro style machine with a classic exhaust sound, it's worth a test ride. Not the performance of the 600 supersports, but damn few riders have the skills to match the bikes' capabilities.

russell_bynum
Well it looks like nice machine and its not too expensive smile.gif I was thinking about track days and such. I had no plans for touring on it, that is for sure. Dual sport bikes do not interest me much right now.

If you're thinking about track days, a 600 is just about perfect. The Gixxer is a very popular track bike, so there's plenty of good parts out there for it.

Repli-racers suck as streetbikes, though. There's no power unless you keep it revved into the stratosphere (and when you do that, every cop for 200 miles can hear you), the riding position is cruel and unusual, there's no storage space, etc. That's not to say some folks to use them as streetbikes and enjoy them. Some even tour on them. But, in general, that just isn't what it's built for.

Depending on the mix of street/track you are considering, I would look at something more street worthy. For me, that means more comfortable and more usable power. VFR, FZ1, etc would be more on the street side of things. SV650's make fun street bikes, and do fairly well on the track (especially with some suspension mods.) The new 650 Ninja is getting rave reviews (it seems to be the SV650's best competition).

BeemerEric

Thanks for all the input. I will carefully look things over and go from there. It may be a better part of a year before I accually do this, we will see.

-Eric

Thanks for all the input. I will carefully look things over and go from there. It may be a better part of a year before I accually do this, we will see.

-Eric

If time isn't much of an issue......(always keep an eye out, but) make a plan to wait until fall. At least thats when the explosion of cheap bikes hit the market here on the east coast. I guess most people don't/can't store them over the winter.......decide to clean the garage/shed......decide they don't ride it enough......yada yada yada

The GSXR is nice, and would be fun for track days. Check out the Triumph Daytona 675 as well.

Naw, naw, naw... Those bikes are crap. Can't get outta their own way.

TPM18077.jpg

Ok, so I lied. This one doesn't see the street much.

The GSXR is nice, and would be fun for track days. Check out the Triumph Daytona 675 as well.

+1

and you will certainly stand out in the crowd! thumbsup.gif

If your heart is set on a Gixxer, I'd go for the 750. On the other hand, the June issue of motorcyclist did a shoot out of all the new for '07 sport bikes, Gixxer 1000, Duc 1098,Yamaha R-1, Kaw and Honda 600... they picked the Honda CB600 as the best of the whole bunch.

If your heart is set on a Gixxer, I'd go for the 750.

+1. I got a 750 because I was tired of having to wring out the 600 Suz, and the 1000 has a lot more motor than I can use (i.e., it freaks me out). The 750 just seems like the perfect track day/ sports bike to me.

Archived