IGNORED

Who is a "one-percenter"?

NoHeat

The June issue of MCN has an article by a self-proclaimed "one-percenter". The author used most of his article to define a "one-percenter" as a weird, obsessive-compulsive, long-winded know-it-all whose life revolves around just motorcycling and talking about motorcycling. Motojournalists, for example.

That confused me. I thought "one-percenter" referred to gangs like the Hells Angels. Just like this wikipedia article says.

Any other MCN readers think this was odd?

AdventurePoser

Hmmm..if this is the new definition of "one percenters," it would fit lots of us on this DB! blush.gif

Steve

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

" I thought "one-percenter" referred to gangs like the Hells Angels. " Me too, I thought the 1%ers eek.gif were on the fringes--not like MCN defined them at all.

Seems to me there will be a motojournalist that will be watching his back a little bit more now that he has written this. lurker.gif

Not a good comparison at all.

Yeah, well there's folk that kinda claim kin to this group or that, but the real proof is if the group accepts them as one of their own. Like when you hear someone bragging up the fact that they're a real hard-core type rider, y'know, the kind that might range out there two or three hundred miles on a weekend...

Goofy thing that I never can seem to reconcile is why someone who claims to be all about freedom and not having folks telling him how to live would want to essentially become fascist?

ShovelStrokeEd

Would be interesting to see what the results of his putting a 1% patch on his jacket would be.

Maybe, just maybe, he's referring to us as a different 1% than the one people commony associate with that term.

So, the way I see it, there are 98 other other 1% slots availble dopeslap.gif

wrestleantares
Maybe, just maybe, he's referring to us as a different 1% than the one people commony associate with that term.

So, the way I see it, there are 98 other other 1% slots availble dopeslap.gif

I quess he's trying to redefine the term, but for the life of me I can't figure out why someone would want to commandeer that term to redefine.

Back in the day motorcycling was seen as an "outlaw" activity. In order to improve the image, the AMA launched a campaign outlining that 99% of all motorcyclist were upstanding citizens. The real outlaw gangs adopted the "1%-er" moniker as a mantle of pride to define themselves as just the sort of people the AMA was convincing people most motorcyclists were not.

I think MCN, and the articles author, will be getting some letters about this one. lurker.gif

Well, as we all know, Pareto says that 20 percent of the riders do 80 percent of the miles, and 99 percent of the riders follow a lawful existence.

Hunter S. Thompson, God bless his drug riddled soul, said the 1 percenters had not quite evolved to the same state as the 99's.

I suppose we could put Journalists into that group as well. smirk.gif

I dunno what to think about this all. Hearing some of these talk about their MCs, I've heard the word 'respect' come out a lot. Seems like the concept of 'respect' for most of 'em is equated with 'intimidation.' As in, you will show respect, or you WILL be educated. Seems a little backass-wards to me.

Jim VonBaden
Hmmm..if this is the new definition of "one percenters," it would fit lots of us on this DB! blush.gif

Steve

blush.gif

Jim cool.gif

As some of you know, I have "evolved" to BMW's from a looong time on exclusively Harleys.

On numerous occasions at Toy runs, or multi-group gatherings I have been close to, or encountered 1 percent guys in the crowds. Normally these are Banditos, or Angels, or others. I give them a smile or a guy-nod, like I would any other guy. That counts as "respect".

I have seen some other dudes act like they were offended to be in their presence... they were not always well received, and subtle, and not so subtle hints were given which suggest it might be a little better to go stand somewhere else.

Like Ali G sez... "Respect Brother"....

IMHO there is a HUGE difference between respect and fear. I might give a Bandido a nod at an event like a toy run, but it ain't outta respect.

Respect is something that is earned and is freely, reverentially, even lovingly given. Fear just means I'll try not to insult you cause I don't want to get my ass beat. Big difference.

I've known some members of MC's in the past and they've got a really interesting culture. For the most part, they were all very nice guys and I was never afraid of them because I wasn't about to cross them. I was reading a line out of a Sonny Barger book in Barnes & Noble (that in and of itself is a strange twist to pop culture, but I digress) and his first "rule" was, "Treat me good and I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, and I'll treat you worse." Most of the 1% I've met have gone along with this.

I've encountered more bad attitudes from bankers and accountants who bought their new Harley to be a part of the culture than I have from real hardcore "bikers."

Not saying this is always the rule, but it's just been my experience.

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

My brother and his partner in an automobile repair shop used to do all of the Hells' Angels valve jobs, as they seemed to be the only shop in town that wanted to do them and also because when they did them, the bikes "ran better, started easier" according to the owners. They also made the comment that "if anything came up missing due to one of their guys or indeed ANY person removing said item from the garage they would "handle it"" They never had to use that, as once the word went out that their shop was "off limits" no one dared bother things there.

That's been my experience too.

From what I know of the culture (and that's some but not a lot), it's a dog's life in a lot of ways. Treat them well and they'll be the best friends you can have. Treat them poorly and sooner or later you'll get bitten. If you want to run with them, you have to understand and accept the pack dynamics. And most of all, they're not going to change their nature just because you don't share it.

I have a customer that uses the word "Vago" in his company name.

Now if you don't speak spanish Vago means vagrant /vagabond.

Well when he was choosing a color for his logo he wanted green I suggested against it as the color and Vago is already taken... by the Vagos MC!

Not in the "club" and displaying the "colors" will get everything you own burned to the ground.

Needless to say he chose another color... especially since he's very near their neighbor"hood".

Fun reading for you 1 percenter wannabes.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/neighborhoodwatch/ci_4855037

Photo

http://www.venicebeach.org/system/files?file=images/VagosMC_0.jpg

AdventurePoser

Steve

blush.gif

Jim cool.gif

Don't worry, Jim! Not you... lmao.gif

Ride safe,

Steve in So Cal

Archived