IGNORED

'04 R1150RT Rear Swingarm Leak

Bill_R

Bill, is it leaking from the final drive or the transmission? Usually the final drive will leak about a tablespoon of fluid into the boot area which is "normal" and nothing to worry about. You may want to check your fluid level in the final drive.

If you are getting alot of leaking it needs to be dealt with. Not sure if it is just a seal or if the rear drive bearing has developed play which is causing the leak.

Most likely leaking past the seal at the final drive. Check the level of oil in the rear drive, it should be at the BOTTOM of the threads in the filler hole. You can also remove the large clamp from the boot and clean the inside of the boot. Recheck at each oil change to monitor how much is leaking. A teaspoon is not excessive.

Thanks for the thoughts. Not sure if it's coming from the trans. or final drive (haven't had time to remove the boot yet). Just suspect that when something begins to drip, that didn't for 4 years, that it probably isn't good. frown.gif

Just suspect that when something begins to drip, that didn't for 4 years, that it probably isn't good. frown.gif

If it can cheer you up, mine started leaking at 20k. I still don't know whether it's the FD or the trans but I check both levels between services and I never had to top them up. There was actually no noticeable drop of oil level. The bike has now 32k on the clock and still leaking frown.gif

As others have said, a small amount of oil (a few teaspoons or so every couple thousand miles) in the boot (either from the final drive input or transmission output) is nothing to worry about and probably not worth the dollars to fix. Just check the oil levels once in a while (even though at that rate it will take a long time for there to be any noticeable difference, they'll probably be no need to add any between the recommended 12k mile oil changes.)

If I were you, I would be very careful with this. I found some oil leaking from the FD boot at around 40000 miles, and now I have had to worry about it for the last 75000 miles. lmao.gif Yes, it now has 115000 miles on it. Nothing has happened yet...

Is a special tool needed to remove the seal? If so can you make it or use another tool?
Depends on which one it is. Usually it's the final drive input seal and they are conventional to replace.

Archived