IGNORED

Went to a different dealer...

wrestleantares

wrestleantares

You may remember that the dealership that was close to me closed, and that I was asking about the next two dealerships that were in semi-close proximity.

I chose to go to the dealer in Greensboro, NC. About 90-100 miles away. The Charlotte dealership (actually Matthews) was slightly closer, but a little more slab intensive.

I could have ordered the oil filter I needed, but I needed it now and figure I can get one now and order in bulk later.

About half the ride was very pleasant.

The dealership itself was an eye opener. I've never really seen a real BMW dealership. My local one in Hickory never had more than 5-10 BMW's. The space in Hickory was dominated by "Custom" Choppers and their other line - Suzuki. But they always had oil filters and the battery I needed that one time, so I never ordered those items since I could just blip over and pick them up. All my real parts I have gotten from Cycles Recycled and Beemer Boneyard (mainly Cycles Recycled since it is local). My last set of tires even came from a new LT that was totaled with fewer than 50 miles on the odometer.

Anyway, back to the dealership in Greensboro. I pulled up on the world's ugliest LT (I say that with a certain amount of pride). I got a few stares from customers standing outside - how often do you actually see a 6 color BMW?

I went to the parts counter and asked for four filter kits. I told the parts guy I was going to look around a little at the bikes and would be back to pick them up in a bit.

The bikes... Oh, there were tons of them, and not just Beemers, in fact the pretty little lady that caught my eye was none other than the Sprint St. I was a little saddened seeing this bike as I had just missed an open house at the Asheville Triumph dealership a couple of weeks ago (Had to take care of the kids as my wife had to go out of town for a training).

The Sprint ST was gorgeous in person. As I begin to look at bikes next year to supplement my venerable redneck LT this will be a prime candidate.

They also had a BMW 650CS. This was a BMW I had never seen at my other dealership (come to think of it I do not remember seeing a 650 GS there ever either). It was also a prime candidate for my wife's new bike.

I would have loved to ride it and a few others but as I was not seriously thinking of buying, I couldn't bring myself to ask. The salesman asked me if he could help me a couple of times, but he was already juggling two customers. If he had been a bit less busy I would have loved to have spent more time browsing, sitting, and maybe ridden the CS. I would be afraid to ride the ST, it might have gone home with me.

Anyway, long story short it was the nicest dealership I have ever seen for BMW's - course I'm now up to the grand total of two.

My Ugly LT...

k12lt3.jpg[/img]

Carolina BMW is a nice shop to kill some time in. Nice inventory and friendly staff. The trip to Matthews is worth taking sometime as well. You can ogle the Ducs and Aprilias as well as the Triumphs there.

wrestleantares

Well, I've got enough filters to last through the summer (maybe). I'll head there as the fall approaches.

BTW is the Matthews Dealer a little better on prices. Carolina BMW gave me no discount - which the one good thing was Extreme though otherwise crappy always gave me a discount. Plus Carolina BMW's gear was a bout 15% more than Extreme.

Of course Extreme IS out of business now.

It's been forever since I've actually bought anything at BMW-Ducati of Charlotte, but I don't remember them discounting much if at all. For parts call Hammersley in Lynchburg, their standard ground shipping will get it to you in a day or two and they discount about 20%.

wrestleantares

Most of my real parts come from Cycles Recycled. They discount 60%+ of course their are no warranties other than not DOA since they are all used.

But there seems to be enough LT riders that wreck low mileage bikes to keep me in good condition. I haven't even bought a NEW tire in a couple of years.

My Ugly LT...

k12lt3.jpg

That's just NOT right!! eek.gif

Hey "leikam"!! The good Dr. Frankenstein here's trying to take your title away! lmao.gif

Jamie, you haven't seen my latest "sports tourer" project yet. But I'm happy to share the wealth. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

wrestleantares

Now how did I get the Frakenbiker nickname?

Okay scratch that - silly question.

How was it done/posted?

thumbsup.gif

My Ugly LT...

k12lt3.jpg

That's just NOT right!! eek.gif

Hey "leikam"!! The good Dr. Frankenstein here's trying to take your title away! lmao.gif

Can't believe you guys fell for that.. lmao.gif

That's why we don't use digital pictures to enter as evidence in court trials..They are too easily altered..Surely you don't really think there is such a bike... eek.gif

wrestleantares

Unfortunately it's real, some of us BMW lovers are too poor to afford even a used Beemer until somone has an encounter with a deer on it and rolls it for good measure.

The bike should have all the jinx worked out... it has been totaled TWICE! Neither time by me.

Took 70 days from start to finish. I thought about painting it, but that would about double my financial investment without increasing my fun payout.

Archived