IGNORED

Autocom Installation

maxfrankel

maxfrankel

It seems autocom control units are typically installed either under the seat or in a tank bag. Under the seat means you can't access the volume controls while in motion (I know, you shouldn't anyway!), which would seem to be a significant disadvantage. Installing in a tank bad means accessibility but you have to have your tank bag mounted (duh) & the unit is more theft prone. Are these the tradeoffs? Comments from anyone with either configuration???

I can't imagine a need to adjust the Autocom volume once set (my Pro-M1 doesn't even have the feature).

I adjust the volume of any individual item as needed (GPS, radio, etc). Or, you could add a volume control to the speaker/earphones if necessary.

CruisinCruzan

I've had the Pro M-1 and now the super-pro, once dialed in I've never touched the volume controls or any other controls for that matter.

I have an Autocom Pro 7 that is a couple of years old installed in the tail cone of my R12RT. I never have a need to touch it. I adjust my radar detector, GPS, Kenwood FRS radio and factory radio/CD at those devices.

i installed mine in my glove box or radio box which ever you want to call it on my 1200rt. I can get to it anytime im want with the adjustment knob facing upwards. works well allows me to plug new things in very easily when i need to. plus i dont have to worry about short cable lengths or adding extensions on them. works well with me did have in in the tail cone for a while just hated running the cables the length of the bike and worrying about if it was going to be long enough.

both my Pro-7 and Pro-AVI are hard mounted under the seat (GS & LT). The LT is the most buried and needs wrench to get to. So, a short piece of vacuum hose attached to the VOX adjust knob runs out the side. Works pretty good. The hose is a tight fit onto the knob.

I adjut it mainly if I am alone vs with wife- if alone, I like the VOX set high to keep things really quiet. With wife, I need to make it more sensitive to her.

both my Pro-7 and Pro-AVI are hard mounted under the seat (GS & LT). The LT is the most buried and needs wrench to get to. So, a short piece of vacuum hose attached to the VOX adjust knob runs out the side. Works pretty good. The hose is a tight fit onto the knob.

I initially did the same, used a piece of vacuum hose to adjust the VOX setting while riding. Once I had my preferred level, I marked the VOX knob with a little white touch up paint in case I bumped the setting I wouldn't need to go through the vacuum hose trick. It has remained untouched for three years. thumbsup.gif

The purpose of the individual volume controls on the Autocom are so you can set the volume for rider and passenger at a level that each enjoys, given their helmets (which can differ, as can how well each seals/isolates), as well as the different positionson the motorcycle which the rider and passenger occupy, and are therefore subject to different air streams and/of buffeting. Once these have been set, there should be no need to adjust them.

If you need more music volume, then turn up the music volume at its source. Same for GPS or any other audio accessory.

If you're looking for an intercom system with every single possible bell and whistle, including full, remote, handle-bar mounted volume, fader and VOX controls, hmmmmm. . . . . .I wonder if Autocom is listening.

lurker.giflurker.giflurker.gif

Archived