IGNORED

Final Drive Failed

Mikes07gt

In Boise on my way to Torrey and in the shop -- waiting to see if they can get the parts. Only one final drive in the USA and it is in N.Cal waiting to find out if they can get it here.

Mike,

What a bummer. frown.gif

It would seem that your dealership got what they wanted as you followed their directive.

This inconvenience will hopefully have a positive resolution very shortly.

I know our owner has removed FD's from bikes on the floor to get people back on the road.

It is disappointing to read of another failure of this sort.

Thanks for not unloading a rant that you probably felt like doing. thumbsup.gif

Good luck getting home and sorting this out. lurker.gif

chrisolson

Hmmmm, sorry that happened. But, I would have done like you and headed out even knowing the possibility of an issue. Sometime it works and sometimes not.

What was the final symptom of failure?

I was doing regular inspections and the more miles I put on the more movment I was able to get twisting the wheel. I stopped in boise before the seals failed.

Sorry to hear it. Make sure BMWNA and if warranted your local shop that you originally took it to get an earful. How many miles did it take to fail after the dealer said they would not replace it? If they aren't able to get that part from NCal quick enough I second the suggestion about asking for them to take a final drive off another bike on in stock. Downside is either way you'll have to change out the final drive fluid on the replacement in 600 miles.

russell_bynum
Sorry to hear it. Make sure BMWNA and if warranted your local shop that you originally took it to get an earful. How many miles did it take to fail after the dealer said they would not replace it? If they aren't able to get that part from NCal quick enough I second the suggestion about asking for them to take a final drive off another bike on in stock. Downside is either way you'll have to change out the final drive fluid on the replacement in 600 miles.

Let me know what you need and I can bring whatever tools you need to do the change at Torrey.

Good God.

What did they say again - "ride it until it comes apart"??

One question - does the warranty cover your lodging costs?

I would raise holy hell with the original dealer. I just read some of your previous posts to see how long you've been having trouble.

If they can't get the FD unit, or wont swap, I would ask them for a loaner GT.

Go to the nearest dealer of bikes and buy an FJR, HondaST, .......sell or make them take back the GT.

Sorry this happen.

I know I'm not practical....but I don't let stuff like this get to me.

Whip

creekstone

Sorry to hear you are stranded far from home....especialy since I encouraged you to hit the road. I'm just glad you saw the problem worsening and made it to a dealer before a complete failure. I hope your situation gets resolved fairly and quickly.

RichEdwards

I'm originally from NY. Maybe that explains the way I would proceed on this. When you get home, take all your documentation to a lawyer (including hotel bills). Tell him that your dealer and BMW sent you away knowing that your final drive might fail. Emphasize that catastrophic failure could have put your life in danger and the only reason catastrophic failure did not happen is because you monitored the condition of the rear drive as you traveled.

A good NY lawyer would get all your expenses covered and, perhaps, there would be enough left over to buy three or four new bikes with good final drives.

ESchwab855

Yes this blows its the reason I am done with BMW as I have had 2 fail 1 coverd at 18K 2nd 52K paid for by me. not sure could someone tell me are rear bearings a wear part oh well FJR here I come

Marty Hill

Do what Rich says. Those morons put your life in danger. They might kill the next person. Perhaps winning big bux will teach them something. You will be doing a good deed and someone in the future will thank you.

Dayum. In my circle of friends on the Honda side, many with Honda STs well over 100k miles, I've NEVER heard or seen a unit with a failed rear drive.

I'm originally from NY. Maybe that explains the way I would proceed on this. When you get home, take all your documentation to a lawyer (including hotel bills). Tell him that your dealer and BMW sent you away knowing that your final drive might fail. Emphasize that catastrophic failure could have put your life in danger and the only reason catastrophic failure did not happen is because you monitored the condition of the rear drive as you traveled.

A good NY lawyer would get all your expenses covered and, perhaps, there would be enough left over to buy three or four new bikes with good final drives.

Amen!

A little planning on my part saved me a lot of trouble - I left a day early so if I had trouble I would have a extra day to be in a shop. I also made my route through Boise where I have relatives to stay with and shuttle me around so rather than being a big potential problem it is just a pain in the butt. The parts people at Big Twin in Boise say that they will have a final drive today around 10:30 and I should be on the road by noonish if the parts arrive on time. I still hope to be in Torrey late Thursday. clap.gif

Mike

Mike,

That's great news.

I still think it was criminal to send you on your way with a known drivetrain problem, even if the mechanic wasn't able to diagnose the exact problem without a teardown.

Now that is good news. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

If it all works out, that would be an excellent warranty response. A

If so, BMW has come through for you, as they should.

Good luck and best wishes for a great time in Torrey. clap.gif

+1 on the 2 above posts.

BMWNA needs to be made aware of what one of their dealers did. I would definately follow through with that.

Dennis Andress

It's great to see you have your act together on this. I look forward to meeting you at Torrey. By the way, did you ask them to let you keep your failed drive so you can personally return it to your dealer via "Air Mail"?

Dennis

bakerzdosen
It's great to see you have your act together on this. I look forward to meeting you at Torrey. By the way, did you ask them to let you keep your failed drive so you can personally return it to your dealer via "Air Mail"?
See, I was thinking more along the lines of the "mail slot" in the front window.

Glad to hear things are going well (all things considered).

Out of the shop by 4pm and on the road -- I am in north salt lake at 10pm. I have the SLC dealer going to do a early 350mi final drive fluid replacement at 9am then I am on my way to Torrey.

Mike

Anybody leaving SLC 930ish headed down?

Firefight911

Glad to hear that you are running again!!

Me thinks your dealer will be hearing from you in a few days!!!! Documentation is your friend!!!

Thanks, I am trying to not focus on the s____ and just enjoy the rest of my trip. But I will have a few issues to deal with when I get home but for now I get to Ride TORREY!

Sorry not to rub it in to much.

Out of the shop by 4pm and on the road -- I am in north salt lake at 10pm. I have the SLC dealer going to do a early 350mi final drive fluid replacement at 9am then I am on my way to Torrey.

Mike

Anybody leaving SLC 930ish headed down?

Good to hear. Cya in Torrey. wave.gif

Thanks, I am trying to not focus on the s____ and just enjoy the rest of my trip. But I will have a few issues to deal with when I get home but for now I get to Ride TORREY!

Sorry not to rub it in to much.

with sincerity and respect let me say that your attitude thru this ordeal has been impressive. enjoy the trip. thumbsup.gifclap.gif

Archived