IGNORED

R1200RT Computer

gasser

Is the on board computer overkill for this bike? I am seeing many threads on its failure. Is there a simpler model of the R12RT? I like the bike and its feel but am beginning to wonder if all the technology is too much for a simple machine. This would be a great bike without all the electronics. Opinions??? lurker.gif

Well IMO the computer does give good information. It is an option, so if you do not want it don't buy it. Also if there are reliability issues with it I am sure BMW is standing behind it and replacing it under warannty.

Billp

Also if there are reliability issues with it I am sure BMW is standing behind it and replacing it under warannty.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif
maxfrankel

Minor, minor, minor. The BC produces a host of very useful information. It's fun to play with. I find my BC, 2006RT, provides quite accurate information in all modalities.

JohnBeaven

If you want the information that the BC provides then go with the option.

As for reliability and accuracy. I have no trouble with mine. The fuel consumption readout is good, the temperature readout reads about 2degs celsius low, and the oil level indication works as the manual says it should work.

I like the bike and its feel but am beginning to wonder if all the technology is too much for a simple machine.
That technology it a very big reason my RT is such a terrific machine. Without it the 1200 boxer would not have 110-115 bhp, get 47+ mpg, and be so easy to own and maintain. In the case of new boxers this high tech stuff works. My 2005 R1200RT is without a doubt, the finest motorcycle I have ever owned. I did 350 miles from McKinney TX to Eureka Springs on one tank of fuel today... Tommorrow I'll be out playing on the twisties... Would be nice to find a crotch rocket or two to feed to the RT grin.gif.

It's actually quite nice to read a couple of posts about how great this machine is. We tend to read about many of the problems on these threads, which I guess is the commisserating forum, but not quite as many of the great experience. Thanks for your post.

OBC is neither particularly expensive nor complex. Similar units have been available in cars (BMW and others) for years. Even my VW Golf has such a system. As for the necessity of the system, I would really miss the TPM function for on road monitoring of pressure, followed by the temp readout, and the oil level. Of course I haven't had issues with my system, if I had, my opinion might be different.

shatzbot10

Although I usually follow Thoreaux's advice, in life, ("Simplify, simplify.") the obc has worked very well for me (R1200RT/17k mi)and IS useful on long trips. The only acessories I've added are: heated hand grips & seat; foot brake and side stand enlarging devices; and the (annoying to install/SCBMW "bites") Wunderlich engine protector(see above post for details on this issue). The more one has, the more things can go wrong. But the obc is a pleasure.

Archived