IGNORED

Motorcycle Emergency Road Service

marcls

Hi all,

My wife and I were in Mendocino over this past weekend - we rode 184 miles from the SF bay area - and it occurred to us that in the event of a breakdown, we would scramble for a towing service, etc. I have a R1200RT, which is covered by the Roadside Assistance Plan, but she rides a Triumph America. What options are there for an emergency assistance plan that would cover motorcycles?

Regards,

Marc

Les is more

Many people, including us have had good experiences with KOA RV ROAD HELP. Their introductory offer is around $75.00 for the first year. After that it goes to $99 per year. Note that a spouse is covered, the towing is unlimited and it covers all of your vehicles. It come through the Allstate Motor Club but the deal is only available through KOA.

No affiliation, just a good encounter.

Many people, including us have had good experiences with KOA RV ROAD HELP. Their introductory offer is around $75.00 for the first year. After that it goes to $99 per year. Note that a spouse is covered, the towing is unlimited and it covers all of your vehicles. It come through the Allstate Motor Club but the deal is only available through KOA.

No affiliation, just a good encounter.

After reading a thread about this recently I upgraded my Allstate road service to their RV Roadhelp plan. Then a couple of days ago I unexpectedly received a big package from KOA which included it's own "KOA Value Kard". It appears these two plans are one and the same.

grin.gif

russell_bynum

Another vote for the KOA plan. I haven't used it on the bike, but I've had my POS commuter car towed twice (broken motor mount and cracked oil pan) with no issues. One tow pays for the membership fee. Unlimited towing could really save your ass if you have a breakdown in the middle of nowhere and need a couple hundred mile tow. eek.gif

Cool, but after being off two wheels I'm not up to date with this.

Do they have bike tow trucks? Yeah, I just pictured it too. So no comments, please. Can they get my bike to the closest BMW shop? Will they wreck my fairing? etc. Are there female tow truck drivers? Are they attractive? wink.gif

russell_bynum
Cool, but after being off two wheels I'm not up to date with this.

Do they have bike tow trucks? Yeah, I just pictured it too. So no comments, please. Can they get my bike to the closest BMW shop? Will they wreck my fairing?

When you call, tell them you have a motorcycle and need a flatbed.

Most of the drivers I've dealt with have been knowledgable...except for the one who came when I called the BMW roadside service when my RT final drive failed the first time...he couldn't find his *ss with both hands on a bright day in a big mirror. Your bet is to understand how to tie down your bike so that you can assist, or at least tell them to stop if they're doing something stupid.

The KOA coverage pays them to take the bike to the nearest qualified repair facility, so yes...they will take it to the nearest dealer. FWIW, I've had them tow my POS commuter car to my house and that's never been a problem for them either.

Check your insurance policy. You may already have a plan in place. Many insurance companies will cover roadside service with a small deductible. The deductible could be less than the cost of a separate plan.

AMA MoTow is also an option. $25/year for just motorcycle. $60/year - includes autos & spouse.

AAA also has a plan that I've used and found worthwhile. The thing that a lot of people like about the KOA/Allstate plan is the unlimited milage. With a thin BMW dealer network, it's easy to burn through any milage limitation and then towing gets expensive.

David Sharpe

I also have and have used the AMA MOTOW insurance. The towing process worked great the time I needed it. No complaints. I have a limit of 35 miles before I kick in the difference. I am thinking of upgrading to the KOA because of the unlimited mileage because I am roaming farther and farther from home.

With a thin BMW dealer network, it's easy to burn through any milage limitation and then towing gets expensive.
Which is why an unlimited mileage plan is really the only one that should be considered for a touring BMW rider.

Archived