IGNORED

Need tire changing advice

paulcbrowne

paulcbrowne

I have a Harbor Freight tire changer and a No-Mar mounting bar. I also have an old set of tire spoons that must be from WWI. Changing my R12RT rear, I found the old spoons far better than the No-Mar bar. I used some cut-up bicycle inner tube to keep the HF clamps from scratching the wheel.

Anyone have experience to share about good tire spoons and how to use them? I think that I was just lucky not to scratch my rims because the spoons had no protection from contacting the rim.

Aluminum_Butt

I have both 11" straight irons and a 16" Motion Pro curved bar. The MP was a bit pricey, but I think I might buy a second one. The curve really helps out.

Here's a link to the MP iron: Link

Lots of folks use cut up shampoo or detergent bottles for rim protection. I prefer these: Link I use six of them so there's always a protector close to wherever I might want to insert an iron - trying to move them around as your putting the tire on is a real PITA.

I always get a helper just to be a third hand when I'm putting on the second bead. But, otherwise, having three irons and lots of protectors does the job for me.

russell_bynum
I have both 11" straight irons and a 16" Motion Pro curved bar. The MP was a bit pricey, but I think I might buy a second one. The curve really helps out.

Here's a link to the MP iron: Link

Lots of folks use cut up shampoo or detergent bottles for rim protection. I prefer these: Link I use six of them so there's always a protector close to wherever I might want to insert an iron - trying to move them around as your putting the tire on is a real PITA.

I always get a helper just to be a third hand when I'm putting on the second bead. But, otherwise, having three irons and lots of protectors does the job for me.

All of those things are good. smile.gif I have similar rim protectors (I don't need them anymore now that I have the MojoChanger) but mine didn't come with the string tied to them. I added sting myself since I kept losing the protectors into the tire and having to demount the damn thing to get them back. dopeslap.gif

But, to the OP: What was wrong with the No-Mar tool? If you're using it right, it should be much faster/easier than using tire irons.

But, to the OP: What was wrong with the No-Mar tool? If you're using it right, it should be much faster/easier than using tire irons.

If I had to guess, the tire kept walking while using the no mar. the irons probably helped keep the tire from walking.

I use a handscrew (woodworker's clamp) to stop the tire from coming out of its seated position.

Lets see if I'm right grin.gif .....

russell_bynum

If I had to guess, the tire kept walking while using the no mar. the irons probably helped keep the tire from walking.

I use a handscrew (woodworker's clamp) to stop the tire from coming out of its seated position.

If that's the case (that's what happened to me the first time I used the no-mar bar), then that's a technique issue.

If that's the case (that's what happened to me the first time I used the no-mar bar), then that's a technique issue.

then that's a technique issue

Ain't it always smirk.gif

Stan Walker

+1

Stan

I just changed my tires on a Harbor Freight tire changer using my brand new MOJOLEVER. The wheel will not spin in the clamps if you first strap a "spoke" of the wheel to the machine and then twist the tire clockwise before you tighten the clamps. RU-Glide solution in a spray bottle to keep things slippery and using the MOJOLEVER the old tire slipped right off. The new tire slipped right on. NO marks.

I always used tire irons before. The MOJOLEVER is The Tool for the job.

(I watched Mitch change about four tires at the Cadillac Tech Daze so it was pretty easy to repeat the process.) wink.gif

lawnchairboy

also just slapped on some z-6's with the MOJOLEVER, a fine tool indeed, the HF bar is difficult to use without adding R-1 style red rim perimeter pinstriping or worse

Jim VonBaden

+1

Stan

+2, except it is a small C-clamp with a leather wrap to prevent damage to the rim.

28Lever-on-upper-bead-last.jpg

Jim cool.gif

PS Note the zip tie on the rim protector?

FWIW, I find that the Motion Pro levers (I have three) and cut up shampoo bottles work well enough for me. I changed both tires on my GS and the rear on my VFR last night, after work. I hardly lost any skin on my knuckles. Only one wound even bled. Heck, I can't even read a newspaper without injuring myself even worse than that.

RU Glide, or equivalent, is important for both dismounting and mounting.

I have a no mar sys,,no mar clamps work great for me..I use a lot of tire lube,and they go right on,,Push the no mar bar with you leg,Push tire down into the center of the rim and they go right on,,Do you have the up dated bar??they put a handel on it so it dose not twist off the rim, if not i think you can get it from no mar,,They are good people,,

Jim,

Who sells the rim protectors shown in your picture? Getting tired of working with pieces of plastic from milk bottles.

Jim VonBaden
Jim,

Who sells the rim protectors shown in your picture? Getting tired of working with pieces of plastic from milk bottles.

I got mine at Morton's BMW, and I know they sell them at Bob's. I have also seen them at UJM shops as well.

Jim cool.gif

Jim,

I got mine at Morton's BMW, and I know they sell them at Bob's. I have also seen them at UJM shops as well.

Jim cool.gif

Thanks for the information! thumbsup.gif

bakerzdosen
Jim,

You can get them off ebay or a place called The Motorcycle Zone for $12 shipped. That seems to be the cheapest online price I could find. However, you can find them at a few places for <$16. Bob's has them for $9 (before shipping) and $6.95 for shipping to Utah at least.

Archived