IGNORED

fuel tank not venting, contracts to block steering!!

Wolffman

Anyone know of a fix for a fuel tank not venting properly? I have an '05 R1200RT that put a scare into me yesterday. The tank contracted, (from heat I guess) and pushed the front left part out to get in the way of the front fork turning all the way to the left. After removing about 30 minutes of tupperware, I discovered this problem, removed the gas cap to hear the whooosh as air escaped from the tank. The tank was then back into shape and no problems until I rode a bit further and it happened again. It is not convenient for me to drop in at the closest BMW shop, (70 miles) and if anyone knows of a fix, please reply. Thanks, Wolffman.

bobanddianne

Just an observation, not a complaint

The whoosh of air you heard was from air ENTERING the tank, not escaping.

The fuel pump causes a partial vacuum as the fuel is pumped out. Eventually the outside air pressure causes the tank to collapse into the vacuum.

Not sure where to look for the blockage, but the air needs to be able to get IN in order to correct the problem.

As a temporary measure, open the tank's filler cap every once in a while so the vacuum cannot become so strong.

Whatever distance is was that caused the second collapse, I would suggest you open the filler cap about half that distance every time.

And one other concern, the distance before collapse will be less when the tank is nearly full... the vacuum will develope sooner because there is less air present in the tank. So vent the cap more often then.

Anyone know of a fix for a fuel tank not venting properly? I have an '05 R1200RT that put a scare into me yesterday. The tank contracted, (from heat I guess) and pushed the front left part out to get in the way of the front fork turning all the way to the left. After removing about 30 minutes of tupperware, I discovered this problem, removed the gas cap to hear the whooosh as air escaped from the tank. The tank was then back into shape and no problems until I rode a bit further and it happened again. It is not convenient for me to drop in at the closest BMW shop, (70 miles) and if anyone knows of a fix, please reply. Thanks, Wolffman.

Suggest it didn't contract from heat but lack of venting....Fuel goes out and no air to replace it...Tank collapses....

I posted on this problem about a month ago...I had the 12,000 mile service done and a leaking trans seal replaced so the bike was pretty much apart.... The tech pinched the gas tank breather tube when putting it back together, the tank collapses after riding about 5 miles, leans over and comes in contact with the left down tube when turning left..Scared the C@#p out of me the first left turn I took....Rode back and they fixed it...

Have you had the tank off lately? Hopefully (probably) the breather is just pinched ....

I found my original post summarized above:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/sh...true#Post847066

Phil..........Redbrick

Yes, the air was entering the tank as you say, not exiting. I followed the links and will look for that pinched hose. Thanks for all the replies

Yes, the air was entering the tank as you say, not exiting. I followed the links and will look for that pinched hose. Thanks for all the replies

Please let us know result.........

Phil.........Redbrick

johnwarnke

I came very close to dumping my brand new R1200RT one block from the dealership. It turned out to be this exact problem. I have heard that BMW sent out a shop note, but obviously it still happens. Sooner or later someone is going to be seriously hurt or killed over what seems to be treated as a minor problem.

Another thing to look for is a clogged charcoal canister. It gets clogged from filling the gas tank too full and the overflow leaks into the canister. To check when you have a vacumm do not open the tank but pull one line at a time. You can hear the air going back inside the tank.

Don't ask me how I know.

Bill P

This is some pretty scary stuff. My 05 ST has the same or similar problem. I can see the plastic cover of the tank rise up when I open the fuel filler. I was going to leave it until the 20,000 KM service and have the dealer check it, but I ran out of gas on Sunday (with about 260 KM on the trip odo). I opened the tank, heard the rush of air, and was able to restart and get to a gas station within about 2 kms. The tank took 14.8 litres (capacity is 21 l).

So I am now trying to contact the dealer and get things checked out and fixed.

Archived