IGNORED

Generic Tire Question

tone1298

I'm going on a 1200 mile trip and I'm down to the wear indicator on my Bridgestone 020 rear...

Replace? Or... wait till I get back?

I'm going on a 1200 mile trip and I'm down to the wear indicator on my Bridgestone 020 rear...

I would replace it before you go.

Thas what I thought.

I've got a line on 120/70ZR-17 for front and 190/50ZR-17 for cheap... can I use the 190/50 instead of the 170/60?

It would probably be prudent to stick to the recommended size as the wheel width was designed to spread the tire correctly. Too big or small causes problems with the tread being pinched or spread improperly! Also a larger profile tire might end up rubbing something not to mention the possible poor handling or tire pinch!

ShovelStrokeEd

Well, you can mount them but even the 180 should have a 5.5" or 6" rim to maintain the best profile and factory designed sidewall flex. If your bike came with a 170 tire, it probably has a 5" rim. That is sub-optimal for the 180 and really a bad match on the 190. Turn in will go truckish and you risk some instability on high speed sweepers as well. In general not a good thing.

Tone, seeing as you have a Detroit area address I would recommend replacing it.. As a rule you would have plenty of rubber left for 1200 miles but the rain handling ability of that tire is really compromised with the tire wear at the wear bars.. Lots of possible rain in Michigan & surrounding states this time of year so you might compromise safety if riding in the rain on that tire..

Twisty

Archived