IGNORED

No GPS Audio Through My Autocom

marcopolo

oops, posted this in Hexheads by mistake. Here it is again.

I recently had a new Autocom installed on my R12RT. Everything tested out just fine. I have not, to this point, installed the headsets in the helmets, and won't for a few weeks. I did, however, just buy the headset lead (part #1188) that allows me to plug in my ER6i in-ear speakers. I'm heading to Torrey at the crack of dawn Saturday morning, and was going to use this as a good opportunity to see how I liked the in-ear speakers vs. the helmet speakers supplied in the Autocom kit.

I hooked everything up yesterday to do a dry run in my garage with the Etymotic ER6i's. I switched on the ignition, and fired up the iPod. Check, music comes through clearly. Then I figured I'd try the GPS, so I fired it up (Garmin 276C), set it to simulator mode, selected a route and told it I wanted to navigate that route. So off it goes in simulator mode. When the first turn arrives, the music from the iPod is muted, and I get a blast of voice directions from the GPS. Wow, clearly I need to turn down the GPS volume, which I do. I thren decide I'll try this all over again, now that I've turned down the GPS volume. That's the last peep I've heard from my GPS. I've tried everything, but all I get is dead silence. I checked all the leads, and plugs. I've checked the setup on the GPS to make sure it's set for voice prompts. I've turned GPS volume up. I've checked Autocom rider volume (I'm getting iPod music with no problems whatsoever). I even substituted the Autocom headset for the Er6i's, but still get nothing from the GPS, but do get music. I'm stumped.

Have I missed something obvious that would explain why I can't get GPS audio through my Autocom? Would it have anything to do with the GPS being set to simulator mode perhaps?

I'd really like to give my in-ear speakers a real test to/from Torrey, including GPS directions.

Any ideas?

bubblehead

No idea what the problem is, but for what it is worth, I did the same thing on my 1150RT, and the 276C hasn't made a peep since either...not even with the car kit and speaker....??? Haven't had a chance to call Garmin yet either... confused.gif

Mark, given your description as well as that of the second responder, I would take your Garmin and simply plug a set of earbuds straight into the GPS. If you get sound, then the problem is downstream and you should contact Autocom (888-851-4327). If you don't, then the problem is the GPS.

paulcbrowne

Autocom seems to have some odd female sockets that seem to be a bit too deep for correct connection of mini stereo plugs like you'd use with your Zumo, an iPod or their connector for earbud speakers. I found out how off it was by putting in the plug and then gluing a small fiber washer around the socket's hole. My problem had been losing one channel of the two and that one sometimes going out.

Thanks Fernando. I tried doing that, but neither my Etymotics, nor the regular iPod earbuds fit the Garmin jack. If I have the time, I might try the GPS in the car to see if I get audio prompts. I'll try Autocom after Torrey, seeing as I'm leaving Saturday.

P.S., see you in Torrey. wave.gif

Not sure if it makes a difference or not but the audio out of the 276C is NOT stereo, it is mono and needs a mini MONO connector and a GLI filter assuming you are "bike powered" on the GPS.

Try putting in a short route and take it out of simulator mode.

Select the route.

Go for a ride.

Good luck.

Don't have the time to take the bike out today (Fri), given preparations for my Saturday "crack of dawn" departure for Torrey. However, I did jump in the car with the GPS, and tried a short route. The GPS voice prompts worked normally through the in-line speaker, so I have not somehow blown the GPS audio out.

Hopefully, I'll get GPS voice prompts via my Autocom, once it's out of simulator mode.

Mark, there's a lead that goes from the GPS to the Autocom. Unplug it from the GPS and look at the male pin. Does it have two black rings on it or just one?

Mark, there's a lead that goes from the GPS to the Autocom. Unplug it from the GPS and look at the male pin. Does it have two black rings on it or just one?

One black ring (part # 1294)

Don't have the time to take the bike out today (Fri), given preparations for my Saturday "crack of dawn" departure for Torrey. However, I did jump in the car with the GPS, and tried a short route. The GPS voice prompts worked normally through the in-line speaker, so I have not somehow blown the GPS audio out.

Hopefully, I'll get GPS voice prompts via my Autocom, once it's out of simulator mode.

That's good, and all I was hoping for was for you to find out if it was the GPS.

I still think it would be easy to run the bike 10 minutes around the block while the GPS is plugged in.

That would answer the question.

Anyhoo, safe trip. Have fun. wave.gif

That's good, and all I was hoping for was for you to find out if it was the GPS.

I still think it would be easy to run the bike 10 minutes around the block while the GPS is plugged in.

That would answer the question.

Anyhoo, safe trip. Have fun. wave.gif

I'm typing this in Fergus Falls MN, after a 623 mile jaunt today from Sault Sainte Marie MI. I hate to admit it, but I havn't tried the GPS/Autocom yet. frown.gif

Swing by here.

We're on the way to Torrey. tongue.gif

Just turn it on, won't bite you.

Are you using the GPS visual?

I'm sure you'll get plenty of volunteers to ri..I mean diagnose, your problem. grin.gifwave.gif

• 3 months later...

I'm reactivating this subject, since some others had the problem of no Garmin GPS audio prompts through their Autocom. I have a 276C model GPS, BTW.

When I was in LA in late July, on my long ride, I went to Brown Motor Works for an oil/filter, and FD fluid change. I saw Fernado (EffBee) there and he diagnosed my problem in a second -- the female audio jack on the Garmin power/audio cable. Apparently it's too deep, and you simply have to back out the male Autocom lead a wee bit for it to make the proper connection. This he did with two very thin spacers. I immediately had GPS audio in my helmet, and it worked like a charm for the entire ride back home, and since.

If anyone has the same problem, try this solution.

Archived