IGNORED

Audio - Communications Set up for a R1150RT

Capt_Ron

I have a 2004 R1150RT. I am comtemplating adding an audio/communications system, but I'm not exactly sure what equipment I need or what brand of equipment would be best. I am relying on advice from some of you who have undertaken such projects.

I'll give you an idea of what I am hoping to achieve. I would like to have the capability for music from a MP3 player or XM radio, intercom with my ocassional passenger, and radio communications (CB and/or FRS, perhaps interchangably?) heard through a headset in my helmet. All of this neatly mounted and arranged, easy to use, and hopefully I won't have to take out a 2nd mortgage to do it. If I were to outfit my wife's R1150RS with a similar system, would this change equipment recommendations?

My boss has a used AutoComm "Active Rider" unit for sale for $50. No headset with it, just the little box and some cords. Don't know if this would be good as a foundation to connect other parts of the system.

I am eager to hear of your experience, what you've done that worked well, what you'd change or recommend. Thanks.

Ron

That sounds like a great price, jump on it. You can go to the Autocom website or call them to determine the full functionality of the unit to make sure it will satisfy your needs but my guess is that it will. You can still buy headsets and cables for older units from them as well.

I like your set up. I will try to do something like that. I bought a Sandisk 4 gig MP3 player. Haven't done anything with it, but I can't find a source anywhere for a RF remote like the the one for iPod. It seems there are a ton of accessories for iPods and very few for any other brand of MP3. I may see if I can return it to Best Buy and exchange it for an equivelent model in the iPod. I didn't buy an iPod in the first place because it was just so much more expensive for the same capacity.

Ron

Couchrocket

Ron,

I feel your pain. My son turned me on to the iPod Video after seeing my pathetic little wimpy 128meg mp3 player. It was "spendy" but I love it and have never looked back. As you say, though I'm sure there must be a remote out there "somewhere" for your unit -- the iPods seem to be the hot ticket for aftermarket goodies.

After considerable searching, I have been unable to locate a wireless RF remote for the 4GB SanDisk MP3 player so I took it back to Best Buy and exchanged it for an iPod 2nd gen 4GB Nano. I almost went with the 30GB video iPod for $50 more, but it was twice the size and weight, more than I thought I'd need, and I could apply the $50 to another aspect of the system I'm building. The 4GB will hold 1000 songs and that's plenty for me. Now I may get that Monster ezClick weather resistant RF remote to go with it. There is no end to the stuff you can find for an iPod, but the assessories for other brands are far more limited.

I gotta say those people at Best Buy were very accommodating in making the exchange 35 days after I made the original purchase. They were very nice about it, no problem.

Ron

Archived