IGNORED

Who else has the rare R1200's with "clanking" cam tensioner noise?

Fabbrisd

I am posting this as a update for our newer members, hope to catch the attention of our new member from BMW Motorrad actually, sounds like a good guy.

My late '05 and Deckdr mid '06 both have the rare R1200 e "clanking" or "slapping" noise problem that has been identified coming from the cam tensioner area.

Basically, it boils down to this, some R1200's have a clanking or slapping noise coming from the cam tensioner area - and most other R1200's do not.

A side-by-side rev up or ride between R1200's, easily identfies those "rare noisy" bikes from normal R1200's.

Unfortunately, BMW does not yet acknowledge the problem, there has been no service bulletin or authorised update to approve warranty tear down and repair.

The "noisy" R1200 owners have been stuck, even with good dealers in our respective areas, with a problem that results in a lot less riding on our rare R1200's.

This is not a "minor" noise issue - and no, the common "ride it till it breaks in and you will get used to it" really doesn't sit well with this specific problem.

If you are riding your bike, and it has a "noticeable" clatter at a stop sign that a Harley rider can hear next to you - what are you supposed to do, enjoy your ride ?

Other than Deckdr and myself - anybody else out there with these "rare R1200's ?

Comments welcome - and "yes" I am a veteran BMW rider starting with my original K75 "whiner" in college.

SirAubergine

I have an '06 R1200RT with a build date of 9/05 with a noise similar to piston slap at around 3000rpm under light acceleration. The noise is louder as the engine temp increases and especially in hot weather. The noise isn't noticeable at idle or at steady rpm, even when the engine is under considerable load. Lugging the engine will, of course, make all of the normal lugging engine noises and the clanking will increase some, but not to the level heard while accelerating.

I'm of the opinion that what I'm hearing is consistent with the noises that a loosely-meshed gearset would make when driving a load such as the counterbalancer our 1200's are equipped with. I suspect some of our bikes ended up with gear mesh tolerances on the loose side of spec.

My bike has about 2500 miles on it now, and the dealer didn't think much of the noise, even though it was somewhat quieter after the 600 mile service and oil change. If a lighter oil is installed at the factory for break-in, as has been suggested by some, the 20w-50 that is now in the bike should result in a quieter gearset.

With the bike still relatively new, I haven't yet had the valve covers off to check rocker side clearance which might make a similar clatter - This is my first Beemer, so I'm not sure what noise that might make.

Anyway, file my experience as a datapoint and I'll report anything I find out about the noise.

Forrest

I have a "First batch" '05 with 56K miles on it... It too has the noise you describe, which BTW is the same noise that my 1150RS made (traded @ 75K miles).. It's most noticeable when the bike is hot and it's been on the side stand before starting.. Personally, I think it sounds like s**t and is ridiculous to have to put up with a noise that makes a $20K machine sound like a garden tractor.. But it hasn't caused any issue performance wise..

Ride Safe!

TinMan.

John in VA

My 2500 mi. 11/06 build clanks only when it's cold and hasn't been run for a day or two. The clanking stops when it warms up a bit. Add the clanking to the chuffchuff header noise and the whrrrrrizzzzz of the power brakes while sitting at a stoplight and you've got BMW's Berlin Symphony going. eek.gif

My 2500 mi. 11/06 build clanks only when it's cold and hasn't been run for a day or two. The clanking stops when it warms up a bit. Add the clanking to the chuffchuff header noise and the whrrrrrizzzzz of the power brakes while sitting at a stoplight and you've got BMW's Berlin Symphony going. eek.gif

I do have a rough knocking idle when just started cold that is worse if you touch the brakes - seems to load the engine enough to lower the idle. Thought it was slightly out of adjustment throttle body but has been like this since 1000km service and not improved after 10,000km service.

I also have an intrusive 'rolling road noise' at ~70kmh that drives me to use ear plugs at all times - don't see how anyone could listen to a radio. Seems the front tyre noise or whistling from the fairing or?? echoes up through the fork area at 60-80kmh. Clutch in proves it's not engine noise. Been like this since new. Michelin Pilot Roads. Next tyre will be Conti-Attacks to see if this helps.

Any one with similar noise? Any suggestions?

I'm in the club as well. I guess it's not so rare. BMW, what can be done? It sounds like crap!

This may sound strange, but... try a different motor oil. I recently changed from Mobil 1 20W-50 V-Twin to Castrol Act-Evo 20W-50 and my R1150R doesn't go "clank-clank" anymore.

John in VA
...I also have an intrusive 'rolling road noise' at ~70kmh that drives me to use ear plugs at all times - don't see how anyone could listen to a radio. Seems the front tyre noise or whistling from the fairing or?? echoes up through the fork area at 60-80kmh. Clutch in proves it's not engine noise. Been like this since new. Michelin Pilot Roads. Next tyre will be Conti-Attacks to see if this helps.

Most likely it's Pilot Roads noise and tends to get a bit louder as you lean over for curves, depending on the type of surface. Pilot Roads came from the factory on my 12RT and I had a set on my recent 11RT. Great tires but noisy.

Count me in - or at least I am assuming this is the source of a clackety-clack sound I first noticed at 21,000 miles. The noise is most noticeable at idle when the engine is cold. It usually goes away when the engine warms up, and doesn't affect the engine performance one bit.

Nevertheless, I don't like it at all - it is embarassing at group rides to have my expensive machine clattering away like that. I intend to have it addressed at my next dealer service, but the outcome doesn't sound hopeful based upon this thread.

Jay

There have been a occasional post reply from this Motorad guy on this forum - hey buddy, are you out there or is this type of problem too touchy to repsond to ?

I want to thank the guys who have shared about having a "clanker" - and those that have continued to ride there bikes - I like the comment "embarrassing to be at a stop lihgt next to a Harley with your BMW'r clanking away"...

Even the dealers hear and acknowledge there are R1200's out there that are clankers - except no body at Motorad will pick up the ball !!

Archived