IGNORED

Qestion about BMW F650CS

wrestleantares

wrestleantares

My wife wants a new motorcycle. We have talked about the F650CS. It seems to meet the criteria that we would like.

It will be mainly a commuter and Blue Ridge Parkway bike. Before anyone suggests it, she does not want a scooter.

Any thoughts on the bike that you would share with a novice to the model/mill.

Paul Mihalka

F650CS is a excellent bike. Some people don't like the looks, but that's about the ONLY down side.

bakerzdosen

I really liked mine (for the brief time I had it). It had more power than I was expecting. It got great mileage. The only downsides for me was that it got blown around quite a bit on the freeway and the headlight (but in comparison to the ST, what doesn't?) left something to be desired. So, I did wish that it had a bigger alternator to accommodate motolights or the like. However, for a first bike or a daily commuter, it was a nice bike.

R4ND0M_AX3

I agree with Matt. Good simple bike. Does move around a bit in the wind. It's fast enough to put you in jail. Plus ABS is an option.

I've had a 2003 F650 over here in the UK since last August. It has been my first bike and I have slightly over 1200 miles on it so far. I find it very manageable; does not feel heavy and I can flat foot it when stopped (5' 11", 33 inseam) As others have mentioned, mileage is fine...about 200 miles/tank-full. Smallish windshield provides some protection at highway speeds, but you do get pushed around a bit like has already been mentioned. Overall, I think it has been a very sensible first BMW and has allowed me to sharpen my riding skills w/o being overwhelmed by a larger, more powerful bike. I very much liked that it was equipped with ABS...from all that I've read, its an excellent option. For what its worth.

Dave

2003 F650 CS

The 2003 CS was my first motorcycle. The ABS brakes was the main selling point for me. If handled like you were riding a bicycle and the gas mileage was terrific. The only drawback is that she may crave more power, like I did.

Bob_Minor

I had an F650ST for a few years. Light, fun, and good handling. So easy and non-intimidating to ride I could have taught my 80 year old mother how to ride it. I bought it mostly as an around town scoot to supplement my RS but I've met people who tour on them. I don't know about the later F650's but the early models were known for outstanding reliability. New ones were a bit pricey but used ones can be a bargain.

baggerchris

This past weekend I met a nice fellow with a 1999 650 in the company of 2 1976 airheads. I met them near Santa Cruz Ca., and they were from San Diego. They all agreed that the 650 was able to keep up just fine, and they all seemed to be having a great time. I even met "Beezer" one of the airhead guy's Yorky. Nice little dog.

I happen to rent one last summer for a 4 day trip around Alaska, camping/rain gear, rough roads, etc. I own an 1100RT and was really impressed with this bike. It was a new 2006 and ran like a wild banshee. 75-80 mph on the highway was not an unreasonalbe speed for this bike. One drawback, gas guage leaves something to be desired. I had it loaded with stuff, ran it over hard dirt roads and it held up like a trooper.

I would not hesitate to own one, so much so, that I bought a used 250KLR as a local commuter bike in hopes of moving up to a 650GS.

Enjoy the ride. thumbsup.gif

bakerzdosen
It was a new 2006 and ran like a wild banshee.... [snip] moving up to a 650GS.
It couldn't have been a f650cs. They stopped making them in 2005 I believe. So, you're talking about a different bike, the GS.
Seabiscuit

I had a 2003 F650CS - the beautiful copper colored one. I had a crash on my Buell (first street bike) in December 2002 (had my MC license about 2 mos. at the time) so, afterwards, Steve was all about me riding a bike with ABS. He had the RT at the time and so it seemed natural to get me on a BMW, too. I gotta admit - I was drawn to the color of the bike and the total look of it. Then, I rode it and felt very comfortable with it. So, Steve surprised me with it in February - after I was healed-up from the December crash. I was almost flat-footed on it and I am 5'7" tall.

( I usually wear Sidi or BMW Airflow boots )It did help me learn to be a better rider and gave me lots of confidence. I will agree with the fact that it did get pushed around in the wind a lot more than my current bike and the battery went dead when I had my Gerbings on high, the heated hand grips on high and the headlights on... well, you get the idea. Also, for me - I just wanted more horsepower after a while ( I got into track days...etc...) So, moving up to the FZ-6 was a great move for me ,personally. But, I highly recommend the CS as a commuter bike - and it is a lot of fun for "playing" on the weekends, too. Has she test ridden one ? If possible - I would recommend she do that. I probably test rode at least a dozen bikes before buying the FZ and I knew right away ( as with the CS ) the bike was for me. On the down side, the CS has gotten a lot of negative comments made about it. I think the complaints are of the nature of the price and the horsepower. Honestly, it probably wouldn't resale ( if she decided she didn't like it afterall...) as quickly as many of the other "smaller" street bikes. But, I was glad to have mine for the time I did. Also, after I got the FZ ,our son ( he was 18-19 at the time ) rode the CS and it was a great bike for him, too. He, too "outgrew" it and really prefers Steve's FZ-1 now ..... funny, though - with gas prices as they are - he'd love to have the CS back for commuting ! I'd be happy to talk to her about it - PM me if so.

W. Mazelin

I put about 100 miles on one many months ago (when my local dealer had a service loaner program, alas, no more bncry.gif) I enjoyed the ride very much. If the F-650-CS model was around when my wife bought her Aprilia 650 "Pegaso", I would have tried to steer her in that direction. I think the bike has a lot of nice features, I know my wife would have liked the heated grips! thumbsup.gif

Lets_Play_Two
My wife wants a new motorcycle. We have talked about the F650CS. It seems to meet the criteria that we would like.

It will be mainly a commuter and Blue Ridge Parkway bike. Before anyone suggests it, she does not want a scooter.

Any thoughts on the bike that you would share with a novice to the model/mill.

My girl friend bought a 650GS three months ago after looking around and trying several models. She says the GS was the best fit for her and she now has 4000 miles on it. I have ridden it several times for local jaunts and it is nice to tool around on. We go on rides anywhere from 75 to 200 miles on the weekends and she keeps up with the GT (well, you know). I don't think she would like it for multi-day high mileage rides but we will give it a try before she opts for an 800ST!!! She might even like the 1200RT (which at 5'11" she can flat foot).

Archived