IGNORED

2 Different encounters with riders yesterday...

wrestleantares

wrestleantares

I was out riding for about 4 hours yesterday, and had two interesting experiences with other riders. They were funny because they were a bit stereotypical.

- First Encounter: I was riding on a road that is varied, it is at the edge of the North Carolina mountains so is curvy and has relatively long clear straights. From quite a ways back I could see that I was catching slower moving traffic. Not a surprise as I was going about 85 indicated. The last in the line was a sport-bike. I got behind him on my LT, slowed down and followed a bit. He seemed quite content to follow along with the traffic. I was not. After giving him a couple of opportunities, I pegged it and passed all 4. I then resumed my trip back around 85 mph. About 10 Minutes (or less) later I saw a glimpse of a sportbike in my rear view mirror. Every time we came to a straight-away he would gain on me. I guess he couldn't take the shame of being passed by an old man on an LT. He did finally manage to pass me. - I needed gas. And no, I did not speed up any because of him. My bike was on CC most of the time.

-Second Encounter: I was on a four lane local road in the left hand lane steadily passing traffic. To the right and ahead (slightly) was a polished HD touring bike. The rider wore a beanie helmet and jeans and a t-shirt. From his mouth dangled a cigarette, and his helmet had a sticker on the back that said F*** OFF. He looked through (cursory glance) his mirror at traffic and then began to change into my lane. I was going probably 10 MPH faster than him, but nothing drastic. I took my hand off the throttle, but no other braking was necessary. Anyway, he apparently saw me in his mirror as he was changing lanes because he went into a panic. His bike wobbled as he could not decide whether to commit to the change or try and go back. After a hairy couple of seconds he completed his lane change. I could see him glaring at me through his mirrors. Glad he didn't crash, and I hope he begins looking over his shoulder next time.

DiggerJim
-Second Encounter: I was on a four lane local road in the left hand lane steadily passing traffic. To the right and ahead (slightly) was a polished HD touring bike. The rider wore a beanie helmet and jeans and a t-shirt. From his mouth dangled a cigarette, and his helmet had a sticker on the back that said F*** OFF. He looked through (cursory glance) his mirror at traffic and then began to change into my lane. I was going probably 10 MPH faster than him, but nothing drastic. I took my hand off the throttle, but no other braking was necessary. Anyway, he apparently saw me in his mirror as he was changing lanes because he went into a panic. His bike wobbled as he could not decide whether to commit to the change or try and go back. After a hairy couple of seconds he completed his lane change. I could see him glaring at me through his mirrors. Glad he didn't crash, and I hope he begins looking over his shoulder next time.
I had the same guy (or his cousin) last night on the way home. Stopped at the light, watched it turn green for me, watched as a minivan came to a stop on the right, began to go through the intersection and then watched as cruiser boy rode right around the van and through the red glaring at me as I pulled a stopper.

Jim

wellcraft

last summer i passed a harley that was cruising below the speed limit on the interstate. i was in the left lane and he was in the right lane but he apparently took offense to me passing him so he speed up. i was cruising about 85 and i could hear his pipes blaring as he accelerated to catch me. i changed lanes well ahead of him so i could take the NJ turnpike on-ramp. i guess he was going the same way because he took the ramp too. i was in knee dragger mode on the ramp and the harley rider was foolish enough to try it too. through my mirrors i could see his pegs sparking as they hit the ground and a few seconds later he low sided. i entertained the idea of stopping to make sure he was OK but i had an uncomfortable feeling about the whole thing so i kept going. i've learned that when something doesn't feel right to listen to my gut.

wrestleantares

What would have really been funny if I had passed the sportbike rider about 2 hours later on the same road.

On the way home I was doing the same speeds - but - with a weedwhacker strapped to the back in good redneck form.

(I keep the trunk removed for my Light Truck's hauling duties)

Lets_Play_Two
last summer i passed a harley that was cruising below the speed limit on the interstate. i was in the left lane and he was in the right lane but he apparently took offense to me passing him so he speed up. i was cruising about 85 and i could hear his pipes blaring as he accelerated to catch me. i changed lanes well ahead of him so i could take the NJ turnpike on-ramp. i guess he was going the same way because he took the ramp too. i was in knee dragger mode on the ramp and the harley rider was foolish enough to try it too. through my mirrors i could see his pegs sparking as they hit the ground and a few seconds later he low sided. i entertained the idea of stopping to make sure he was OK but i had an uncomfortable feeling about the whole thing so i kept going. i've learned that when something doesn't feel right to listen to my gut.

A fellow motorcycle rider goes down and you don't stop to help or at least make a phone call? Unbelievable!!

A fellow motorcycle rider goes down and you don't stop to help or at least make a phone call? Unbelievable!!

My thoughts exactly. Shame on you dopeslap.gif

Funny, I had my own "experience with another (type of) rider" this past weekend, but it was so common that I hadn't thought about posting. But here goes:

A buddy and I volunteered to ride safety/support duties for the American Diabetes Association's local Tour de Cure bicycle ride. Basically trying to keep the bicyclists safe, fixing flats, handing out water, giving minor first aid for scrapes, etc. It was up in the Napa area in Nor Cal. It was pretty hot out, and I was bummed that I hadn't worn my mesh jacket, but there I was going through a slow section in a town, sweating in my ATGATT. At a stop light a guy on a Harley rides up next to me - Tee shirt, jeans and beenie helmet. He asks if I know the area, to which I honestly replied that I did not. Bummer, he says, because he can't find any place to stop and have a few beers so that he can cool down!

I don't know how his day progressed after that, but my only thoughts were that Darwinism would ultimately prevail.dopeslap.gif

Tom

i entertained the idea of stopping to make sure he was OK but i had an uncomfortable feeling about the whole thing so i kept going

Note to self: Don't go on any group rides with wellcraft.

Similar HD experience today.

Coming home from work.

Extremely rural, 35 mile stretch of 2 lane scenic byway.

Sometimes there are no other vehicles the whole way.

Came up on the HD going the same direction as I was.

I was obviously going faster, know the road and a nice stretch of curves was ahead, so I passed.

He sped up roaring after me.

He might have caught up, but in the middle of the second curve, the trailer began to sway, and the bike, which was tied down on the trailer while on the sidestand eek.gif, began to move. dopeslap.gif

No, I did not stop to see if it fell off.

wave.gif

What if for instance, your on a 4 lane, right hand lane, left lane is clear, another bike following decides to pass you in your lane to the right of you? What would you think? Had a guy on an RT do it to me a couple of evening ago. Really didn't bother me much. But out of respect and courtesy I would not do it to someone else. Some people just don't care! eek.gif

What if for instance, your on a 4 lane, right hand lane, left lane is clear, another bike following decides to pass you in your lane to the right of you? What would you think? Had a guy on an RT do it to me a couple of evening ago. Really didn't bother me much. But out of respect and courtesy I would not do it to someone else. Some people just don't care! eek.gif

Would tick me off big time.

ShovelStrokeEd

I can't see getting all bent about it. Traffic lanes are something like 12 feet wide, some more, I bike takes up 3 feet. There is plenty of room if you are both in your respective car tire tracks. Even if you were riding in the "drip" zone, there is still more than enough room.

Question comes up as to how slowly you were riding though.

Several people beat up on WellCraft for not stopping but I think the situation was a little more complex than just stopping for a rider who has gone down. This rider was somebody who apparently didn't like being passed. He was irate enough to pick up the pace and, maybe follow WellCraft off at an exit. He was also irate enough that he exercised poor judgment about cornering speed and lost it. He might very well blame WellCraft for his crash. Now he is not just irate about being passed, he has wrecked his ride and the guy responsible (his thinking, not mine), shows up and asks if he is okay. WellCraft should stop and report the accident to 911, but I think he was correct in having second thoughts about confronting the downed rider directly. Maybe the rider was hurt and in no condition to be a threat to WellCraft. But maybe he wasn't and maybe he is armed, who knows. The first rule of first aid is to not become a victim yourself.

Stay away from Sturgis. Going to and from Sturgis last summer, I had Harleys pass me in my lane often. Didn't matter if there was another lane free or not. I think it is a culture thing. Just means you have to pay attention to your mirrors and not be surprised by them.

- First Encounter: I was riding on a road that is varied, it is at the edge of the North Carolina mountains so is curvy and has relatively long clear straights. From quite a ways back I could see that I was catching slower moving traffic. Not a surprise as I was going about 85 indicated. The last in the line was a sport-bike. I got behind him on my LT, slowed down and followed a bit. He seemed quite content to follow along with the traffic. I was not. After giving him a couple of opportunities, I pegged it and passed all 4. I then resumed my trip back around 85 mph. About 10 Minutes (or less) later I saw a glimpse of a sportbike in my rear view mirror. Every time we came to a straight-away he would gain on me. I guess he couldn't take the shame of being passed by an old man on an LT. He did finally manage to pass me. - I needed gas. And no, I did not speed up any because of him. My bike was on CC most of the time.

No mystery to this at all. The sport-bike-rider was going the speed limit because he's a young kid on a crotch rocket, with about 4 points on his license. He followed you because you were his radar foil - the old guy going 85 cleared the way for him. thumbsup.gif

wrestleantares
this at all. The sport-bike-rider was going the speed limit because he's a young kid on a crotch rocket, with about 4 points on his license. He followed you because you were his radar foil - the old guy going 85 cleared the way for him. thumbsup.gif

Actually they were going below the speed limit. Which is why I gave him opportunities to pass first. But, I see your logic.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Several people beat up on WellCraft for not stopping but I think the situation was a little more complex than just stopping for a rider who has gone down. This rider was somebody who apparently didn't like being passed. He was irate enough to pick up the pace and, maybe follow WellCraft off at an exit. He was also irate enough that he exercised poor judgment about cornering speed and lost it. He might very well blame WellCraft for his crash. Now he is not just irate about being passed, he has wrecked his ride and the guy responsible (his thinking, not mine), shows up and asks if he is okay. WellCraft should stop and report the accident to 911, but I think he was correct in having second thoughts about confronting the downed rider directly. Maybe the rider was hurt and in no condition to be a threat to WellCraft. But maybe he wasn't and maybe he is armed, who knows. The first rule of first aid is to not become a victim yourself.

+1. This is reminiscent of the video at Deal's Gap, where the minivan was passed by an impatient (and incompetent) rider who froze up in mid-pass and ended up running off the road. The discussion in the minivan was along the lines of "those guys are going to beat our asses" (because the bike was stuck behind the van for several turns) and so, fearing for their own safety, they left. Granted, the crashed rider was in the company of several uncrashed buddies. Wellcraft was, I think, wise to not put himself within arm's reach of the downed rider, but OTOH I think a 911 call should have been made.

wrestleantares

+1. This is reminiscent of the video at Deal's Gap, where the minivan was passed by an impatient (and incompetent) rider who froze up in mid-pass and ended up running off the road. The discussion in the minivan was along the lines of "those guys are going to beat our asses" (because the bike was stuck behind the van for several turns) and so, fearing for their own safety, they left. Granted, the crashed rider was in the company of several uncrashed buddies. Wellcraft was, I think, wise to not put himself within arm's reach of the downed rider, but OTOH I think a 911 call should have been made.

I'm sorry, but I really cannot imagine not stopping to help someone that I have witnessed going down. Last year I was riding back from Myrtle Beach. There was this irritating punk that was playing on his bike. He would speed up and pass me doing triple digits. Slow up and let me pass him (I was on CC). Then he'd repeat the process and wheelie, etc.

He was behind me for awhile, and all of a sudden he was just gone from my rear view mirror. There were no turn-offs so I knew he had to be still on the road. I turned around at the first available place and went and found him. He had not crashed (thankfully), but his rear tire was going flat. I fixed it with a plug and he apologized for being an ass on the road. I'd like to think my helping him changed his attitude towards riders.

I know this situation was different, but it is just an attitude I cannot take. Doesn't matter if the guy was a decked out three patcher or someone in a mini van. If they wreck, you stop and help - PERIOD.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I know this situation was different, but it is just an attitude I cannot take. Doesn't matter if the guy was a decked out three patcher or someone in a mini van. If they wreck, you stop and help - PERIOD.

What if you think he's probably going to beat your ass if you get anywhere near him? Would you still stop?

It's not about "screw him, I'm not stopping for a jerk like that." As Will states, the first rule of rescue is to not become a victim yourself.

wrestleantares

What if you think he's probably going to beat your ass if you get anywhere near him? Would you still stop?

It's not about "screw him, I'm not stopping for a jerk like that." As Will states, the first rule of rescue is to not become a victim yourself.

Yes. After all you do not have to get off your bike to check him. Turn around and ride by at least. If someone is stopped and he is getting up, and you really feel threatened - move on. If he's laying on the ground in a pool of blood/unconcious chances are he's not getting up to try and kick your ass. Then you get off and help.

That's why my phone is plugged in.

I can call for help if I witness an accident (of any type) and let the professionals so their job.

I've stopped, been first there too many times, and had too many die in my arms.

If I can help I do.

Sometimes the best you can do is control traffic to prevent further harm.

Lets_Play_Two

"This rider was somebody who apparently didn't like being passed. He was irate enough to pick up the pace and, maybe follow WellCraft off at an exit. He was also irate enough that he exercised poor judgment about cornering speed and lost it. He might very well blame WellCraft for his crash."

Seems to me that there are a lot of assumptions being made about this rider simply because he sped up and seemed to keep pace with another rider. A little paranoia perhaps, or just a vivid imagination?

wrestleantares

Seems to me that there are a lot of assumptions being made about this rider simply because he sped up and seemed to keep pace with another rider. A little paranoia perhaps, or just a vivid imagination?

I couldn't agree more.

No mystery to this at all. The sport-bike-rider was going the speed limit because he's a young kid on a crotch rocket, with about 4 points on his license. He followed you because you were his radar foil - the old guy going 85 cleared the way for him. thumbsup.gif

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!! You nailed it!

What would have really been funny if I had passed the sportbike rider about 2 hours later on the same road.

On the way home I was doing the same speeds - but - with a weedwhacker strapped to the back in good redneck form.

(I keep the trunk removed for my Light Truck's hauling duties)

Now that's funny. How about a picture of you LT in redneck mode?

You might be a redneck if ...... grin.gif

"This rider was somebody who apparently didn't like being passed. He was irate enough to pick up the pace and, maybe follow WellCraft off at an exit. He was also irate enough that he exercised poor judgment about cornering speed and lost it. He might very well blame WellCraft for his crash."

I don't think so. Here is what he said:

last summer i passed a harley that was cruising below the speed limit on the interstate. i was in the left lane and he was in the right lane but he apparently took offense to me passing him so he speed up. i was cruising about 85 and i could hear his pipes blaring as he accelerated to catch me.

Driving well below the speed limit then is catching up to someone doing 85 MPH. Seems very intentional to me. Then don't forget the sticker that said F**K OFF. He sent a message with the sticker.

If you then factor in all of the riders who ride armed and may be looking to blame someone else who "made them crash" I don't think I would have stopped either. would have called 911 and reported the situation.

wrestleantares

K12lt-1.jpg

Well, the trunk is on in this picture, but this is what a redneck BMW looks like.

wrestleantares

Driving well below the speed limit then is catching up to someone doing 85 MPH. Seems very intentional to me. Then don't forget the sticker that said F**K OFF. He sent a message with the sticker.

If you then factor in all of the riders who ride armed and may be looking to blame someone else who "made them crash" I don't think I would have stopped either. would have called 911 and reported the situation.

Actually the helmet with the F*** Off sticker was my story (I went back and checked to make sure he didn't say something similar).

The only thing he said is the guy sped up to catch him. Heck, he could have been trying to tell him his blinker wasn't working.

I would have turned around at THE MINIMUM. But that's neither here nor there.

Lets_Play_Two

"Driving well below the speed limit then is catching up to someone doing 85 MPH. Seems very intentional to me. Then don't forget the sticker that said F**K OFF. He sent a message with the sticker.

If you then factor in all of the riders who ride armed and may be looking to blame someone else who "made them crash" I don't think I would have stopped either. would have called 911 and reported the situation."

What he said was "he apparently took offense to me passing him so he speed up". So because he sped up the other rider ASSUMES something negative.

IMHO that is paranoia when you construct a fantastic outcome from an explainable circumstance. It is perfectly plausible to me that a rider being passed by another rider decides to speed up (anyone ever done that in a car). It is implausible to assume that it means he is out to get you because you passed him....where is the connection?

russell_bynum

I couldn't agree more.

+1

I wasn't there so I don't know the situation. But I do know that I've been buzzing along once or twice and been passed by a faster bike...and decided to catch up and play a little. At the very least, I would have returned and ridden by to see if he needed help. If he's irate, then you open the throttle and get to safety. Otherwise, you stop and help.

Actually the helmet with the F*** Off sticker was my story (I went back and checked to make sure he didn't say something similar).

The only thing he said is the guy sped up to catch him. Heck, he could have been trying to tell him his blinker wasn't working.

I would have turned around at THE MINIMUM. But that's neither here nor there.

Sorry to misquote.confused.gif

Considering it was an off ramp, would you have driven against traffic to see if he was ok or gone up to the exit, back to the next exit and back to the off ramp?

"Driving well below the speed limit then is catching up to someone doing 85 MPH. Seems very intentional to me. Then don't forget the sticker that said F**K OFF. He sent a message with the sticker.

If you then factor in all of the riders who ride armed and may be looking to blame someone else who "made them crash" I don't think I would have stopped either. would have called 911 and reported the situation."

What he said was "he apparently took offense to me passing him so he speed up". So because he sped up the other rider ASSUMES something negative.

IMHO that is paranoia when you construct a fantastic outcome from an explainable circumstance. It is perfectly plausible to me that a rider being passed by another rider decides to speed up (anyone ever done that in a car). It is implausible to assume that it means he is out to get you because you passed him....where is the connection?

And why is your assumption any more correct? It is still an assumption.

He's a therapist, remember. They're programmed to think positively and think everyone can be a winner. Otherwise the stream of patients starts to dwindle. tongue.gif

Years ago a friend and I were out riding not going excessivly over the speed limit it was 55 on a rural rd . Came up on a van doing about 35 I passed him I looked back to see him running my friend off the side of the road . He was able to get by but it was close . A little further up the rd we slowed a bit and were side by side discussing what happened here comes the van hammer down ,I believe actually wanting to run us down . We took off up the road a ways turned off and watched as he went flying by. We then followed him to the bar he parked in front of watched as he staggered in . Then left him a note attached to a brick that we passed through his rear window . And also let the police know about a drunk that would be coming out of that bar driving that van ,left out the part about the window though .

steve.foote

I had a similar situation happen a couple of years ago. I was droning along, following traffic at close to 100mph when I blew past a hardcore-looking dude on a HD. Moments later, I look in my right mirror and find he had fallen into a tight stagger with me (at the before noted speed). I gave him a cursory wave, but he didn't acknowledge back. We rode like that for about fifteen minutes before rolling to a stop at a traffic light in the next town.

I wasn't sure how things would go down when he pulled up next to me, so I kept the clutch in and had the front pointed to an exit. As he stopped, he looked over at me and said, and I quote, "WOW, how fast were we going?" Then he broke out in to a big grin.

Not everything is as we perceive.

If he was as nasty as he seems from your story, I think you used great restraint limiting yourself to one brick.

Lets_Play_Two

I didn't say more correct, I said more plausible. And David is right, I happen to take a positive view of the world and try to treat other people as I would like to be treated. As unlikely as it seems sometimes, we are all in this together and have a social interest in positive outcomes. grin.gif

Lets_Play_Two

"They're programmed to think positively and think everyone can be a winner."

I don't think I was programmed this way but if I can turn one loser into a winner each day, my life would be great. And by the way that new winner won't be driving drunk any more or stealing to support a drug habit. tongue.gif Of course many would just prefer to lock them up and defer the problem to some future date.

wrestleantares

Sorry to misquote.confused.gif

Considering it was an off ramp, would you have driven against traffic to see if he was ok or gone up to the exit, back to the next exit and back to the off ramp?

Done it - see my story about going back to help the sportbiker. I had to travel quite a bit - at least a couple of miles to turn around, then back, then a bit past him to turn around again.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone's not out to get you.

In this situation the OP had a gut feeling that was bad. That being the case he could do what you think is the "right" thing or do what he did. There are 3 possible outcomes to this -- a) he turned around and helped the guy who was not pissed and he heads back on the road safe & sound, b) he turned around found himself face to face with a nutjob who decides it's all his fault and takes out his rage on our thankless hero, or c) he rides on safely to home and makes his posting. In 2 of these scenarios he comes out okay. In 1 he potentially loses everything. To achieve a) he needs to risk b)...while he gets the same result as a) by doing c)...the risk does not seem to outweigh the "reward" - it's the same he'd get by proceeding apace to home. The simple calculus of risk/reward argues he made the right call for him.

You can argue that there is a potential additional "reward" - that of saving someone's life. While possible, that potential doesn't change the reward calculation sufficiently in my book (and this from a guy who spent more than a dozen years saving people whilst on an ambulance squad and now is a Wilderness First Responder & SAR member).

Jim

Road rage is the connection. Happens every day. It is real. It is a reasonable concern.

YMMV grin.gif

This has been one of those mysteries of people .Why would someone get mad for being passed ? I would rather someone pass me than sit on my bumper or rear fender at 60 MPH ! I guess some people just cant be happy ,or there just jealous . BTW it may have been more than just a brick or 2 grin.gif

I think the F*** OFF sticker would be enough to convince me that he is likely to have complete disregard for generally accepted behavior. Someone who would do that seems likely to be looking for trouble and I would not want to be their excuse for finding it. It is certainly possible that he was a nice reasonable person but he has probably gone out of his way to be antisocial.

russell_bynum
I think the F*** OFF sticker would be enough to convince me that he is likely to have complete disregard for generally accepted behavior. Someone who would do that seems likely to be looking for trouble and I would not want to be their excuse for finding it. It is certainly possible that he was a nice reasonable person but he has probably gone out of his way to be antisocial.

FWIW, I know a guy with one of those. Nice guy. Would stop to help anyone on two wheels in need.

wrestleantares

Again, two different and unrelated stories.

I really should ignore this thread, but...

I can't fathom the assumption that because somebody follows you off an exit, especially an exit that has as much traffic as the exit to the NJ turnpike, that they want to harm you.

If it had been a mom and her kids in a minivan that rolled over on the ramp, would wellcraft have stopped to see if they were okay? Is it other motorcyclists that he doesn't have the human decency to aid when injured? What if it was a Winger that went down? A kid on a Gixxer? A fellow Beemer rider? Is it just cruisers he disdains? Would he have stopped for a fellow on a UJM cruiser?

I can think of numerous reasons why someone would follow you off an exit. That they want to harm me because I passed them in a safe and legal manner isn't one of them, even if they were riding a motorcycle that so many here seem to hate.

FWIW, I know a guy with one of those. Nice guy. Would stop to help anyone on two wheels in need.

Last weekend, couple arrive.

She's tatooed, jeans, Biker B*tch tanktop, helmet w/stickers worse than F off.

1st impression. eek.gifeek.gif

She bought a 650 GS, is very nice, and will make a super grandma some day. smirk.gifgrin.gif

Go figure. tongue.gif

lurker.gif

Archived