IGNORED

wee-Strom vs Multistrada 620

Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill

It is getting close to time to pass my R1100R to my son. I have been saying for several months now that when it turned 100,000 miles it would be time for a new ride. Today it is at 98,600. I had about decided on a 650 V-Strom to replace it but a couple of weeks ago I found that I can get a new Ducati Multistrada 620 for just a few dollars more.

So how do these two compare. I need something to do an endurance rally a couple of times a year. I like to ride 600-800 mile days. Something that will make dirt roads a little more comfortable, jeep trails. I can do some of those on my R1100R but it is a bit heavy sometimes and not good ground clearance.

And can I continue to do all maintenance myself on the multistrada?

I had a Wee for 15 months and 10000 miles - and while I owned the Wee, I took a very nice, high speed 45 minute test ride on the Multi 620.

The bikes are very different - when I got off the Multi and back on to the Wee, I felt like I got out of a Ferrari and back into the family station wagon. And don't get me wrong, the Wee is a fun bike - great motor, good handling. But the Multi just screams out to you, "let's rock".

I came close to getting a Multi after that test ride, but decided to save my license and go a totally different way and now ride a DR650 and a Transalp.

If I was choosing between a Wee and a Multi, I'd go for the Duc.

I haven't ridden the 650 V-Strom, but I know the bigger V-Strom is a more comfortable touring mount than the Multistrada and I presume the wee-Strom is also. The Multistrada doesn't have a lot of wind protection, so you face a fair amount of wind blast and buffeting on the highway. There is a big windshield available from Laminar that supposedly helps, but some of its users still complain about buffeting. The 620 is also known to be a bit buzzy, but then again so was the R1100R.

The wee-Strom is probably better on dirt, given that the Multi uses 17" sporting rubber up front whereas the wee-Strom has a narrow 19". But the Multi will be a lot more fun to ride on the street and certainly more capable as a sport bike.

You should be able to maintain the Multistrada yourself, once you learn the desmo valves, which I hear are not as hard as some people say. Since it's only a 2-valve twin, there's not much to check/adjust. Like a boxer, maintenance access is a strong point.

If you want to know more about the Multistrada, the forum to look at is www.multistrada.net. Unfortunately, you need to register to read posts there.

Dave

I haven't ridden the 650 V-Strom, but I know the bigger V-Strom is a more comfortable touring mount than the Multistrada and I presume the wee-Strom is also. The Multistrada doesn't have a lot of wind protection, so you face a fair amount of wind blast and buffeting on the highway. There is a big windshield available from Laminar that supposedly helps, but some of its users still complain about buffeting. The 620 is also known to be a bit buzzy, but then again so was the R1100R.

The wee-Strom is probably better on dirt, given that the Multi uses 17" sporting rubber up front whereas the wee-Strom has a narrow 19". But the Multi will be a lot more fun to ride on the street and certainly more capable as a sport bike.

You should be able to maintain the Multistrada yourself, once you learn the desmo valves, which I hear are not as hard as some people say. Since it's only a 2-valve twin, there's not much to check/adjust. Like a boxer, maintenance access is a strong point.

If you want to know more about the Multistrada, the forum to look at is www.multistrada.net. Unfortunately, you need to register to read posts there.

Dave

Stock to stock, I found the Duc to have much better wind management than the Wee. Clean air, no buffeting on the Multi for me. The Wee has simply awful airflow management - the stock screen lasted one day for me. Shook my head around so bad I couldn't read the instruments. There are many aftermarket screens for the Wee that work, however - I found the big touring screen from MP CycleDesigns to be perfect.

The Wee would be a better touring mount if you can get the ergos dialed in - I never could get comfortable on mine for more than 200 miles, and I spent quite a bit of $ trying to set it up right.

As far as off road, neither one of these will ever approach the abilities of a single cylinder 650 dual sport. You could take either one on well graded dirt or gravel with little problems, but stay off the single track. I took my Wee places off road that I had no business going on a big pig and I paid the price by getting it good and stuck about 30 miles from civilization. The next week, I rode my old Yamaha DT250 through that same spot and it sailed on through like it was nothing. Note to self: multicylinder street-oriented bikes do not do well in mud with their stock tires.

Stock to stock, I found the Duc to have much better wind management than the Wee. Clean air, no buffeting on the Multi for me. The Wee has simply awful airflow management - the stock screen lasted one day for me. Shook my head around so bad I couldn't read the instruments.

That's the same problem many people report on the Multistrada. If you're on the tall side, your head is in clean air, but most people seem to have issues with turbulence. I'm 5'10" and although I had mostly quiet air with the stock shield, my shoulders and head would shake like a bobble head doll when riding in traffic on the highway or gusty winds. A taller shield helps avoid the head shaking but adds rumbling turbulence and wind noise. In comparison, my K1100RS and VFR look like they have smaller fairings/screens than the Multistrada, but they are both a lot more comfortable on the highway.

Dave

That's the same problem many people report on the Multistrada. If you're on the tall side, your head is in clean air, but most people seem to have issues with turbulence. I'm 5'10" and although I had mostly quiet air with the stock shield, my shoulders and head would shake like a bobble head doll when riding in traffic on the highway or gusty winds. A taller shield helps avoid the head shaking but adds rumbling turbulence and wind noise. In comparison, my K1100RS and VFR look like they have smaller fairings/screens than the Multistrada, but they are both a lot more comfortable on the highway.

Dave

That's what drives me nuts about windscreens! I am 5'8, 29" inseam and the Duc's stock screen/fairing worked perfectly for me. It is totally hit or miss with these things - what is perfect for one rider is unbearable for the next.

This is why I prefer naked bikes.

grizzly660fan

we have a wee strom and had problems with the windscreen. the solution for us was a madstad bracket and from there we still have the stock screen. I have not ridden the duc but can do many miles per day on the strom now that its set up.

good luck on your decision.

Garry

Biased, as I have a Multi... but mine (AKA Angelina crazy.gif) sings to me in ways the tested Zuk didn't even try. cool.gif

For frequent dedicated long haul touring I'd consider something else... an ST3s/K1200RS/R1150RT/Trumpet 1150ST/1200GS/etc... but not a Zuk.

I've got the Duc set up well enough I'm trying to work out a 50cc this August on it. clap.gifclap.gif I wouldn't hesitate to take the Multi to LA and back. It'll do anything from bad roads to back roads to big roads with amazing competence and aplomb.

[edit] OK for some fairness... the Duc needs a better seat, center stand, and I like my hand grips to manage wind on the hands.

If you have any questions about the Ducati, I'll answer as honestly as possible. I've got a 1000, FWIW.

Shawnee Bill

Can I reply to myself?

Sure.

Read all the comments so far, interesting. What suits some irritates others. i.e. wind management. That is fine, I am used to my naked BMW, poor weather protection doesn't seem to bother me. So on that point I think it is a draw.

As for off pavement, I think most feel the strom is some better, I would think it has an advantage just because of the front wheel diameter, that matters. But then again I just want to take off on dirt/gravel dirt roads, fire road type of stuff without wondering what kind of trouble I am in for, no single track, I have the KLR for the rougher stuff. Again a draw, but with a slight nod to the strom.

The seat, I haven't ridden either bike, but sitting on them they both feel they could be ridden all day long, but the shape of the Duc seat just feels right, slight nod to the Duc.

They both need a center stand. Hand guards, apparently there are hand guards that can be made to fit both bikes. Draw.

But then I heard that the Duc calls for a new timing belt every 12,000 miles, I haven't priced that yet but it sounds like a major hit.

Before I bought my R1100R I was looking at every BMW in the store, I thought, "I could like one of these bikes." Then I looked over in the corner behind everything else and there sit my bike, I said "I'll take that one!"

I read all the comments then I look at the wee strom and think "I could like that bike!"

I look at the multi and there is something close to lust! cool.gif

Matts_12GS

I've done about 14,000 miles on my wee strom.

I added Givi bags, madstad bracket and stiffer fork springs and a sargent seat. Hand guards heated grips, and plus one tooth on the countershaft sprocket closed out the mods and for $5,000 I had a solid sport touring machine that has done 700 mile days and enough dirt roads to know it's only limited by me.

There are times I think I'd like a 1000 or a GS, but, none of them has proven to be worth the extra money/hassle to me. My wee is used near daily for commuting and the 5.8 gallon tank gives me on the up side of 240 miles of regular. for the money, it's a great scooter. If I wanted to spend more I'd ride a KTM adventure, but I feel I really don't need to with this one.

JerryMather

You and most every guy in the world feels the very same thing. Remember.......She's Italian and can bleed you dry but you keep coming back for more because she's sooooooo much fun to be with. thumbsup.gif

Before I post this... it's not meant as a direct rebuttal to the WeeStrom endorsement above - truly. I just want to give the Duc its due.

I've only got 9k on the clock with the Duc, but I did a 1200 mile weekend in October. My single complaint about the bike was the stock ('04) seat. My arse hurt... my God did it hurt. Duc has used a different seat since '05, and I just haven't sprung for a replacement. For the 50cc (praying/hoping/dreaming it'll happen) I plan to get an Airhawk.

I don't think she'll bleed you dry. I generally get parts next day at my door, and prices haven't been as bad as i feared; though, I recently had an issue with stalling and the ECU ($1500!) took a while to sort out from Italy.

As to cost/price... I paid <$10k OTD for a dealer used bike, and got a free 6k service out of it as well. I looked at Kawayamahonzukis, too, but didn't see anything in the same price range that caused the same lust as the Duc.

As to gas... I've got 5.4 gallons, and though the tank reads empty at 100-120 miles, I average around 40-45 mpg unless I'm playing in WV, so the range is comparable.

Didn't motorcycleusa.com do a lengthy comparison between these bikes (Multi, GS, VS, Buell, and another)?

I've had the bike offroad, but only a couple times. I've seen pictures online of GS-style fordings and a desert multi with big honkin' dirt tires buried to the axle in the sand for the photo shoot. tongue.gif

Did I mention I'm biased? thumbsup.gif

i have a wee. i use a madstat and givi screen (but i'm liking the looks of the parabellum). clean wind for me. i also use caribou cases and have a passenger backrest. plenty of power for 2 up touring in colorado! the motor is a blast and dead reliable.

I think you answered your own question with that statement. You should buy what you want to ride and what calls out to you regardless of brand. The Multi did that for me but for others it is (insert name of bike here). For me Duc ownership has had an emotional draw to it that I had not felt before with other brands. Because of that I probably overlook some faults that I really don't know are there (and some that I do). But I am cool with that because every time I jump on that bike I smile! You should buy the bike that makes you smile the most.

I owned a Wee for a couple years but never did find a screen that worked for me so finally sold it and bought an FJR.

The small Suzuki is a very competent bike and the motor alone is worth the price of admission, which is very low in the case of the Wee. Trouble I found is, it's like a good appliance, very good at what it does but totally lacking in soul or character and of course it's the ugliest bike on the road but that's subjective. I have never read a bad review on the Strom. Oh, maintenance is probably the cheapest of any recent bike I've owned, first service was under $100 if I recall correctly and 12,000klm was about $200.

Never owned the Duc but my hobby is test riding bikes and I've taken a few on the Duc and must say, if I were buying one it would be the Duc.

Shawnee Bill

I think you answered your own question with that statement. You should buy what you want to ride and what calls out to you regardless of brand. The Multi did that for me but for others it is (insert name of bike here). For me Duc ownership has had an emotional draw to it that I had not felt before with other brands. Because of that I probably overlook some faults that I really don't know are there (and some that I do). But I am cool with that because every time I jump on that bike I smile! You should buy the bike that makes you smile the most.

Well, took a test ride on a 620 Multistrada today, it was ok but didn't really make me smile. Really light feeling, had enough power but nothing extra. It felt a lot more like a dirt bike than my KLR, that surprised me. If they would just put a 19" front wheel on it would really help, I don't think it is necessary to go to 21".

I wonder if it was just the one I rode, it only had 450 miles on it, but it was difficult to make a smooth gentle take off. It lugged at anything under about 4,000 RPM so trying to do patterns in the parking lot called for some clutching, first gear the throttle was real sensitive and even just trying to hold steady at 10-15 MPH it lugged.

Maybe if I could spend 30 minutes in some twisties I would feel different but there just are no twisties within a 100 miles of here.

I have met a ST1300 rider here with a wee strom as a second bike that invited me for a test ride on it, I didn't even have to ask. So sometime in the next week or so I will try that.

tom collins

ducati's are geared too high in the opinion of most americans (it may have to do with epa noise levels or the fact that it allows higher top speeds as preferred in europe). fortunately, with a chain the fix is easy and not too expensive to add a few teeth to the sprocket. it will transform the bike and it will then feel like what you probably expected.

tom collins

ducati's are geared too high in the opinion of most americans (it may have to do with epa noise levels or the fact that it allows higher top speeds as preferred in europe). fortunately, with a chain the fix is easy and not too expensive to add a few teeth to the sprocket. it will transform the bike and it will then feel like what you probably expected.

tom collins

That is very true. I have the 1k version and changing the gearing helped out a lot in keeping it smooth. You lose top end but I was not concerned about that too much.

good luck!

james

Well, took a test ride on a 620 Multistrada today, it was ok but didn't really make me smile. Really light feeling, had enough power but nothing extra. It felt a lot more like a dirt bike than my KLR, that surprised me. If they would just put a 19" front wheel on it would really help, I don't think it is necessary to go to 21".

I wonder if it was just the one I rode, it only had 450 miles on it, but it was difficult to make a smooth gentle take off. It lugged at anything under about 4,000 RPM so trying to do patterns in the parking lot called for some clutching, first gear the throttle was real sensitive and even just trying to hold steady at 10-15 MPH it lugged.

Maybe if I could spend 30 minutes in some twisties I would feel different but there just are no twisties within a 100 miles of here.

A lot of Multi riders switch from a 15t front sprocket to a 14t front sprocket for better driveability at low speeds and quicker acceleration. The downside is raising revs on the highway by about 500 rpm or so.

I think a lot of the dirt bike feel comes from the bars. The stock bars have very little sweep back, which kind of forces you into an "elbows out" dirt oriented arm position. Aftermarket bars can give you a more street oriented arm position.

Dave

Archived