IGNORED

2001 F-650 GS Info

otis

Hello,

I'm looking for a starter bike for my wife. She loves the BMW adventure bikes and I found a 2001 F-650 GS for sale locally.

I have zero experience with he 650 and I'm looking for information. Anyone care to comment regarding reliabilty, rideabiltiy (5'2" 1st time rider), pros, cons, known probelms, ect. on this bike before I purchase?

Thanks....Pat

gettysburg

A better source for info/guidance on the F650GS would be The Chain Gang

I don't recall what year BMW made the switch, but later F650 models have the twin-spark ignition which eliminate the surging problem that older models experienced. That would be a question to ask the seller; whether or not the 2001 has 1 or 2 spark plugs.

My wife and I started riding with the F650GS(2005 model). We bought them new and no problems for the 10,000+ miles we had the bikes. In the end, the bikes didn't suit the type of riding we wanted to do, so we traded up; my wife to R1200GS and I with a 1R200RT.

+1 for the Chain Gang.

We have a '99 in our garage. My wife, who was a first-time rider when we got it, loves it, although the seat height was a challenge, and it seems heavy for its size. After a lowering kit and re-shaping the saddle, she can flat foot it at 5'6" w/ ~ average inseam. After those mods, and at 6'4", all I need is a fez to complete the Shriner look when I get on it.smirk.gif

I think the fuel tank in the '01 and later bikes is mainly under the saddle, which helps with weight distribution but might not help with the seat height issue.

That Rotax thumper hasn't changed much over time. It runs like a Timex and makes decent power for that kind of bike (and the right size rider).

I bought an 05 650GS a year and a half ago when I finally realized I was tired of looking at the back of my hubby's head. It was my first bike and I've learned a lot on it.

He would like me to trade up to the F800 for a little more power. On a few occasions, we've had trouble with me keeping up to the 1150RT at highway speeds. Nothing major but unless conditions are perfect, the 650 tops out at about 80mph which seems to be cruising speed for the RT on an uncrowded highway. I would consider that depending on what you ride.

Definately spend some time surfing the Chain Gang's site. There is a wealth of info to be had.

outpost22
the 650 tops out at about 80mph which seems to be cruising speed for the RT on an uncrowded highway. I would consider that depending on what you ride./quote]

You must have a rag stuffed in your air cleaner. Mine goes 105 mph. Don't ask me how I know cool.gif It isn't a 1100 or 1200, but it doesn't give up an inch when the roads get tight and twisty thumbsup.gif

Greetings Pat;

Presuming the standard height F650GS (not the factory lowered version), I suspect your wife would have a real hard time with this bike's height and weight, based on the combination of your wife's 5'2" stature and little / no riding experience. See the chaingang Technical FAQ on the subject.

baggerchris

+1 on the Chaingang. the 01 had single spark and some surge while others do not. They make two versions. One regular and one with lowered frame and suspension. -1 inch. You can also buy Kouba links which lower it 1 inch more, and a low seat which lowers it 1 inch more. My 06 tops out somewhere between 105 and 110, and will cruise all day at 80 with plenty of power left. I generally run between 60 and 75 which suits me. Wind protection for me at 5.9 is not perfect. Many, many folks have taken these bikes around the world with good results. The chaingang have more than a few inmates who are 5.2 or shorter. In Santa Cruz Ca., this weekend I met a fellow who has a '99 and came up from San diego with 2 Airheads, and it was agreed by all that the bike kept up just fine. They use tube type tires, and as stated have the tank under the seat which lowers the center of gravity. Mine gets 60 to 65 mpg commuting, and 70 on camping trips. Carb versions seem to get somewhat less.

I think it would be a great starter bike for your wife.

As others have said, some of the earlier bikes had surging issues which I think took 2-3 years to sort out though I may be wrong.

The Rotax will run forever, it's even used in aircraft and all sorts of recreational vehicles. I get over 80 mpg (imp) with mine and it does get to 160+ kph (100mph). Great for slow speed work which is what begginers always seem to have problems with. Best of luck.

For a 5'2" woman, a smaller starter bike might be a good idea.

I bought my 600 cc starter bike from a lady about that height. Her husband said she was about 105 lb, and she bought it as her starter bike, but she kept dropping it on the driveway. So then she bought a 250 cc Yamaha Virago (302 lb, 27" seat height) that she could handle okay, and that worked fine as her starter bike.

I don't recall what year BMW made the switch, but later F650 models have the twin-spark ignition which eliminate the surging problem that older models experienced.

This is misleading. The 2 spark ignition was not the "fix" for the surging issues the early model year 2000 and 2001 experienced. BMW had the surging issues resolved by late 2001 and 2002+ model years.

I own a 2002 F650GS (single spark) and have no surging isses at all.

Back to the original question, if the bike is in good condition and the price is right, I highly recomend the bike.

Give the 2001 model you are looking at a good test drive to check for surging. Drive along at 25 MPH in second gear at around 2-3k RPM's with a steady throttle.

If the bike does surge, there are two things to do to potentially fix it. BMW has a software update for the bike that many people report worked well. Many people also swear by changing the spark plug to a special Iridium plug. Details available at F650.com

The first generation of the bike was 2000 - 2003, and the second generation bikes were made after 2004 with 2 spark ignitions.

Archived