IGNORED

What do you think of a 1995 BMW R1100R?

hopz

1995 BMW R1100R. What do you BMW guys think... this one is a little over 50k miles, price seems right- have not seen it yet.

Says it was maintained, has saddle bags, Corbin seat, and a few extras?

Thinking of getting rid of the Harley, or just adding a bike to the stable?

I bought my '00 R1100RT with 60K on the clock and have been as happy as a pig in poo ever since......If its been well taken care of, and the price is right......go for it.

Take it for a spin. Put it in second gear. Try to keep the RPM's between 3200 - 4200. If it feels like it is "surging" or bucking then bring it back to the owner, and make up a story that you have to leave immediately. That someone is in the hospital or something. LOL.

50k miles on a oilhead isn't even broken in yet! Its best miles are ahead of it!

Getting rid of the Harley---? I will check the weather map to see if hell has frozen over, but no- there is this empty spot in the garage...

The bike does not have a fairing- is it a little bit sporty, and a little bit "tour-ing" too? What was the story on an R model?

Well,

I have a 1997 R850R, which is fairly close to what you are looking at. They are about identical except that the bike you are looking has a few more cc's than mine.

I like my bike a lot. It may not be as new and shiny as the newer ones, but it was paid for long ago and rides really nice. I like it well enough that I do not see any purpose in upgrading to a newer bike, but that new R1200R sure looks nice, until I look at the price.

I say go for it if the price is right, and you want to have a summer "fling" with a nice BMW bike.

The R1100R has a 3.00 rear diff while the R850R has a 3.36 final. Some of the options could have included a gage package and wire spoked wheels.

Getting rid of the Harley---? I will check the weather map to see if hell has frozen over, but no- there is this empty spot in the garage...

The bike does not have a fairing- is it a little bit sporty, and a little bit "tour-ing" too? What was the story on an R model?

I didn't figure you were getting rid of the Harley, but I had to ask.

The R models are fun to ride and easy to work on (no body work to mess with). It should be a perfect compliment to a full touring bike. If you have never seen one, it looks like this

86095965_1.jpg

Shawnee Bill

Well, mine has 98,500 miles, all but 5500 mine, great bike, I claim it is the best model BMW sold.

One thing is the only instrumentation on the '95 is a speedo, a low fuel light and a couple more idiot lights. I don't really seem to need any more though.

I get about 44 mpg at something faster than traffic on the slab.

It does fairly well on gravel roads.

Corners on rails, rated horsepower is a little low but I have never had another xx1100R pull away from me.

I have a corbin seat but did a couple of 1000+ mile days on the stock seat. And a few more on the corbin.

Granted it has no fairing but to me that is a plus.

Oh yeah, did I mention it is the best model in the BMW lineup?

Come on Bill, what do you really think.. This 95 seems a bit long in the tooth- although I have not put a hand on her yet... You think the no fairing is a plus- tell me more...

What else you like and do not care for....

I also have a Roadster (the 850 version). Add stock windshield, Laminar Lip and GS hanguards and it will be pretty comfortable. A friend just traded in a R1100R with 100,000 miles which had no problems.

Shawnee Bill

Long in the tooth, it only has 50,000 miles? That's just now broken in. I am going to ride mine 1500 more miles to see 100,000 miles then decide whether to replace the shocks or the bike, right now I am leaning toward just new shocks. Shocks of course are wear items on any vehicle.

Of course the price should reflect the fact that it is a 12 year old bike.

Main problem is finding a windshield you like. I am using a Parabellum Sport Shield.

About the fairing, I am a dirt bike guy, so I am a bit of a minimalist when it comes to things like fairings. I ride year 'round and I don't feel any need for more weather protection than a simple windshield, some do. Seems everyone has a different feeling about this though.

As for weak points, not a show stopper by any means but check the clutch cable at the lever, it needs a spot of grease on the ferrule that fits in the hand lever or the cable tends to wear. Easy and cheap fix, just something to check before riding a 'new to you' bike very far.

Well, you guys got me into this mess, so I'm going to ask for help getting out...

By "mess" I mean interested in buying a BMW- just to see how much I might like one... you know a summer fling.

So... the dude with the '95 R1100R has gone quiet on me and does not answer phone calls. By various means (which will remain un-said)- I have discovered that his bike has some fairly serious problems, out of round wheel, bad steering dampener, likely bad fuel pump,Alternator belt, leaking gaskets, needs throttle cables and a few others... basically at least$2.5k of work.

So--- anyone know of any bikes in that vintage-category- either R's or RT's in the $5k or less range? I am fairly mechanical and am willing to take on a project- just not a major re-build...

Mid-west to west is good. I can go to Texas easily since I have family there..

Thoughts, suggestions, conjectures all welcomed.

Bob

bakerzdosen

OK, here's the best I could find in a brief search...

Is this the one you were talking about?

link

Others not too far away:

link 2

link 3

or, if you REALLY wanted to fit into the crowd here:

link5

link 5

link 6

Try various cities for craigslist... You'll find a bunch more. (aka Boise, Reno, Las Vegas, etc)

Wow- what a great job and quick too.

I looked at Denver, and obviously SLC- I live here!, but I limited the search parameters too tightly, and obviously should not have done that.

Thanks greatly.

bakerzdosen
Wow- what a great job and quick too.
Gotta have something to do while I wait on these databases to restore from backups...

signed,

bored in Peru...

One thing to remember when trying out these bikes. The seat height is adjustable. On the R1100R the lowest position puts you much closer to the tank. A friend of mine walked away from a purchase because he was unaware that the seat position can be changed.

Thanks, good to know... but does the "closer to tank" thing,... uhh, you know, get uhhh, restricting on the "bits"?

I have looked at a lot of pictures, I may be kidding myself, but is it possible that the R models actually have lower seat positions (in the low setting) than say the RTs?

Can't help you in your search, but as a point of reference -

I just bought a 2000 R1100RT - MINT CONDITION - matching side and top cases, Throttle Meister, BMW engine case guards, Aeroflow headlight cover, wiring socket for Gerbing heated clothes (included new Gerbing G3 heated gloves, Metzeler Z6 touring tires, BMW maintenance free battery (2 years old), Oil filter wrench, battery tender, accessory sockets to plug into dash power outlet, Clymer manual.

My purchase price - $7,900.

Shawnee Bill
Thanks, good to know... but does the "closer to tank" thing,... uhh, you know, get uhhh, restricting on the "bits"?

I have looked at a lot of pictures, I may be kidding myself, but is it possible that the R models actually have lower seat positions (in the low setting) than say the RTs?

I don't know the offical measurements but the R does feel to have a lower seat than the RT when I sit on an RT.

As for the other question, with a Corbin seat, no.

With the stock seat, not too bad but on occasion you may feel the need to make an "adjustment".

Looking at my R850R owners manual, the seat height adjustments are: 760/780/800 mm.

29.9/30.7/31.5 in.

I believe they are the same for the R1100R.

My wife has a '99 1100r and I have an '04rt. I love to ride her bike. It's light has power is comfortabe and does have a much lower seat height. I can easily flat foot on the highest setting on her bike and my feet are not quite flat on the lowest setting on my rt. I wish it had a 6th gear at times, alittle buzzy over 70, but all in all a great bike and they are usually priced right.

Archived