IGNORED

Speed Enforcement

Lets_Play_Two

Lets_Play_Two

Recently a portion of I95 in south Palm Beach County has been designated an enhanced speed enforcement zone which means speeding fines are doubled. I have no idea how they decided it for this stretch of road. Normal traffic flow is about 80 mph in the 65 mph zone. Yesterday was the first day of the new enforcement. Wouldn't you know it!!!!the picture on the front page of the Palm Beach Post is a motorcyclist standing with his Suzuki and a trooper. He was stopped doing 116mph (this is a very urban stretch of interstate). The rider's comment...."I wouldn't buy a motorcycle if I wasn't going to ride fast"

Great advertisement for our pasttime. dopeslap.gif

Dave McReynolds

Would be interesting to follow up with him in a year or so and see if he's still speeding, or even still riding motorcycles. Probably not, unless he has access to Warren Buffet's bank account. When I first got the K bike, it seemed so effortless to cruise at 90+, I managed to collect a few awards myself. The awards themselves didn't sting so bad as the extra $1,000 per year on my car insurance. Interestingly, my motorcycle insurance didn't go up at all! Ironic, really, since I'm a regular Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde when it comes to the way I drive my car and the way I ride my motorcycle. But I decided that I would have to ride within the speed limits if I wanted to keep riding at all, which wasn't a decision that was easy to make, given the performance of the K bike at higher-than-legal speeds, but seemed the only decision possible.

Also, I doubt with a ticket for doing 116 that he'll have the option of traffic school, plus he'll get double points, so he's probably reached the limit of his easy ways out with that one ticket. (Edit: my comment on points reflects CA law; I have no idea what Florida law would be on this).

There's a 5 mile stretch of I-95 in Jax that was recently dubbed "enhanced". They claim it's an area of "high danger".

Nevermind it's the WIDEST portion of 95 in town. tongue.gif

Lets_Play_Two
There's a 5 mile stretch of I-95 in Jax that was recently dubbed "enhanced". They claim it's an area of "high danger".

Nevermind it's the WIDEST portion of 95 in town. tongue.gif

The same thing here. It starts where the road widens for HOV lanes. I guess the "wide-open spaces" are an encouragement to speed. BTW, the rider was locked up...the tropper was quoted as saying if he did not lock this guy up he did not deserve to wear a badge.

John in VA

I don't know what the FL laws are, but that should be considered extreme reckless driving that no safety class can excuse. Pull his license immediately for 6 months and make him walk to work, and make it a year if he was popping a mile-long wheelie like the squids around here do on busy highways. Jail time if he's ever caught driving during suspension. And if the cop can testify as to the defiant statement the rider made on the side of the road about the purpose of motorcycling, maybe the judge should ban any m/c license for him for, say, 5 years or so?

And if the cop can testify as to the defiant statement the rider made on the side of the road about the purpose of motorcycling, maybe the judge should ban any m/c license for him for, say, 5 years or so?
Hell no. A defiant verbal statement should garner at least ten years.
Recently a portion of I95 in south Palm Beach County has been designated an enhanced speed enforcement zone which means speeding fines are doubled. I have no idea how they decided it for this stretch of road. Normal traffic flow is about 80 mph in the 65 mph zone.

....which means, by well accepted highway design rules (including the "85th percentile" rule), the speed limit on this stretch of road is set way too low for safety.

Intelligent highway speed limits (of which North America, with its child-like belief that slower is safer, has very few) dictate that speed limits should be set at the speed that 85% of motorists are comfortable at driving.

Knifemaker

This guy should be jacked with that attitude.

I95 is a bad road to drive anywhere in Florida the only time I drive it is when I need to get from point A to B quickly. Even at that I95 seems to be a parking lot for lost cars and trucks all the time anyway.

AdventurePoser
And if the cop can testify as to the defiant statement the rider made on the side of the road about the purpose of motorcycling, maybe the judge should ban any m/c license for him for, say, 5 years or so?
Hell no. A defiant verbal statement should garner at least ten years.

You are kidding, right? It ought to be The Chair... lmao.gif

Steve

John in VA
man you guys are tough

It would be tougher on anybody who happened by chance to be anywhere near this brainless punk (including across the median) if he hit a bit of debris on the road at 116mph or blew a tire and launched the bike and himself a couple of hundred yards into traffic. But hey, 116mph on a public Interstate is the whole point of buying a motorcycle - or any vehicle. eek.gif

Well what happened this year is that a new legislative amendment allows highway maintainance (county officials) to designate high risk (double fine) ares based upon a study of a particular stretch of roadway which has higher than average crash rates. upon completion of a study backing their claims, the fines can be doubled. It's also a mandatory court date in Florida now if you are cited for 30mph or more above the speed limit. No school option, no just paying the ticket... you actually have to appear an do some explaining...oooof ! It hasn't done much deterent yet though on I-75 Alligator Alley.

116 m/h equates to about 180 km/h. Here that would be an automatic and immediate loss of license for at least 6 months plus $A1589 fine, and if traffic was heavy probably a court date as well. I was not there, don't know the road or time, and am no saint but anything over 100 m/h with risk to other road users......you do the crime you do the time confused.gifcrazy.gif

Paul Mihalka
116 m/h equates to about 180 km/h.
In many places in Germany that would mean that you better stay in the right lane so the Porsche or K1200S can go by at 200+. We all know that speed by itself is not the danger, it just depends on the when and where.

Yes Paul driving in Germany is refreshing.....lane discipline, keeping right..... but what was ironic is that politeness on the road that is displayed in Germany does not always equate to politeness in other areas. The number of times when entering a shopping centre that the door was not held open by the last person leaving for the next person entering surprised me. Here we have crap road manners (for the most part) but it is socially unacceptable not to hold the door until the next person has got hold of it if you are entering/leaving at similar times. I found that very strange. confused.gif

I'm all in favor of holding the door open at 240 kmh.

grin.gif

The differences from region to region, and country to country, makes one wonder about whether or not this is all one big science experiment.

lurker.gif

171320~Land-of-the-Giants-Posters.jpg

John in VA
We all know that speed by itself is not the danger, it just depends on the when and where.

116mph by itself is a danger on a public road shared by others. 116mph is for the track, not an Interstate filled with trucks, RVs, SUVs, grandma's '68 Buick, truck tire carcasses, gravel and other bits of flotsam typically dropped on US highways. Even a chunky highway seam could launch that bike into the air. Also, it is widely varying speeds in heavy traffic that is a danger. If this guy is screaming down the Interstate at 116mph vs 65mph for the rest of traffic, that's a real danger to everybody. We're talking a 50mph differential that lots of drivers wouldn't/couldn't see coming in their mirrors. Also, it takes mechanical skill to ride/drive at 116mph safely, skill that most people do not possess -- and I'd bet that the Suzuki Squid also did not have.

We all know that speed by itself is not the danger, it just depends on the when and where.

116mph by itself is a danger on a public road shared by others. 116mph is for the track, not an Interstate filled with trucks, RVs, SUVs, grandma's '68 Buick, truck tire carcasses, gravel and other bits of flotsam typically dropped on US highways. Even a chunky highway seam could launch that bike into the air. Also, it is widely varying speeds in heavy traffic that is a danger. If this guy is screaming down the Interstate at 116mph vs 65mph for the rest of traffic, that's a real danger to everybody. We're talking a 50mph differential that lots of drivers wouldn't/couldn't see coming in their mirrors. Also, it takes mechanical skill to ride/drive at 116mph safely, skill that most people do not possess -- and I'd bet that the Suzuki Squid also did not have.

None of that negates his statement. Obviously a crowded highway is not a good when and where. An short burst of speed on an open rural highway is an entirely different thing. As he said, when and where...

116mph by itself is a danger on a public road shared by others.

If that was truly the case then the fatality rate on the unregulated portions of the Autobahn would have significantly higher fatality rates than the regulated portions, but they don't.

How about a more accurate statement,

116mph by itself is a danger on a poorly maintained US public road shared by other inept and poorly trained drivers

Joe Frickin' Friday

If that was truly the case then the fatality rate on the unregulated portions of the Autobahn would have significantly higher fatality rates than the regulated portions, but they don't.

116mph by itself is a danger on a poorly maintained US public road shared by other inept and poorly trained drivers

Then you might as well leave "itself" out of the sentence - in which case, as seth noted, it does not negate Paul's statement.

Only 116 MPH ??? grin.gif Most jurisdictions decide on enforcement zones from a # of factors which are termed "warrants". Now this would include # of cites written, traffic complaints, accidents to include serious ones like a fatal (s). Does it get any more serious than that??? crazy.gif And just like the government it takes a "study" to figure things out.....by that time things have happened the public is generally rattling their sabres to get something done. lurker.gif City Hall, the P.D. and others are now feeling the pressure...so VIOLA! An enforcement zone appears! wink.gif

BTW it is a poor example of our past time of riding m/c.....but you know waht they say?? (Or maybe he said?) The only crime is getting caught! lmao.gif

John in VA

...driven by an irresponsible rider who brags that 116mph is what he bought his street motorcycle for.

Lets_Play_Two

I doubt that all those who travel at high speeds on the autobahn are exceptionally competent or well trained drivers. I think the issue is more that the behavior of other drivers and the environment allow the higher speeds. I consider myself a very competent and well-trained driver, having driven SCCA competitions when I was younger (yes my reaction time may be slower, but it is still better than a cell phone user), but I would find it difficult to safely navigate that portion of I95 at that speed with many cars spread all over the road travelling at varying speeds and with who knows what kind of attention. Clear out the left lane and I could safely do 115mph. Require that I weave through a lot of traffic and I say No thanks.

Dave McReynolds

...driven by an irresponsible rider who brags that 116mph is what he bought his street motorcycle for.

Which is a more telling remark than the mere fact that he was caught going 116 mph, which may have been a sudden burst of speed in a controlled area that he didn't plan on maintaining, or may have been suicidal/homicidal idiocy.

Many in this forum who have visited Torrey have used a certain stretch, or stretches, of open highway to test the top ends of their motorcycles at speeds well in excess of 116 mph. I doubt if any who have done so have been cited for that, as the stretch I'm thinking about is pretty open and trouble can be seen a long way off. However, some have been cited for other violations in the vicinity of Torrey from time to time, and I doubt that anyone would feel like compounding the problem by mouthing off to the ticketing LEO. I'm sure we all would do exactly the same thing should such a situation arise: remove our helmets, smile politely, keep our hands in full view, and answer whatever questions might be asked in as few words as possible. Does this mean we BMW riders are that much smarter than this guy, or just less dumb?

I doubt that all those who travel at high speeds on the autobahn are exceptionally competent or well trained drivers. I think the issue is more that the behavior of other drivers and the environment allow the higher speeds. I consider myself a very competent and well-trained driver, having driven SCCA competitions when I was younger (yes my reaction time may be slower, but it is still better than a cell phone user), but I would find it difficult to safely navigate that portion of I95 at that speed with many cars spread all over the road travelling at varying speeds and with who knows what kind of attention. Clear out the left lane and I could safely do 115mph. Require that I weave through a lot of traffic and I say No thanks.

All? Of course not. But in general, more competent.

First, they start at an older age, 18.

Second, the license seeker pays for all costs including, but not limited to;

test books, 60 hours of driver training accompanied by a professional instructor in city, rural, day, night, inclement weather, different types of roads, eye exams, theoretical exams, practical exams, tiered licensing.

These costs are probably in excess of $3000.00 now (they were over $2400 about 8 years ago).

Third, if you fail a portion, you wait, retrain, retest, before continuing.

Mopeds /Small Motorcycles/Motorcycles

Mopeds

Light Motorcycles

Motorcycles

Mopeds

Technical characteristics: maximum 50 cm³ capacity, maximum 25 km/h, single-seater only

Driver's license classes: driver's license-exempt, but test certification required

A drivers' license takes the place of the test certification

Minimum age: 15

Training: theoretical and practical

Test: theoretical test for test certification

License plate: insurance number

Personal liability insurance

Small motorcycles and bicycles with auxiliary motors

Technical characteristics: maximum 50 cm³ capacity or electric motor, maximum 45 km/h

Driver's license classes: M; A, A1, B and T also apply

Minimum age: 16

License plate: insurance license plate

Light Motorcycles

Technical characteristics: motorcycles to 125 cm³, to 11kW; for 16 and 17-year-olds, 80 km/h maximum speed, depending on the make

Driver's license classes: A1, A also applies

Driver's license test: theoretical and practical

License plate: registration number (large format), for light motorcycles up to 80 km/h small format

General inspection

Motorcycles

Technical characteristics: motorcycles without capacity restrictions

for 16 and 17-year olds 80 km/h maximum speed, depending on the make

Driver's license classes: A, authorization to drive motorcycles without capacity restrictions only after possessing a class A for a minimum of 2 years on motorcycles up to 25 kW, not more than 0.16 kW/kg or direct acquisition of class A (unlimited), minimum 25 years of age. A driver's license takes the place of the test certification

Minimum age: 18

License plate: registration number (large format)

Motor vehicle tax

General inspection

This guy was a jerk and got caught. End of story. thumbsup.gif

bakerzdosen
I doubt that all those who travel at high speeds on the autobahn are exceptionally competent or well trained drivers.
I know I wasn't every time I've been there. (I averaged 200km/h from Hannover to Schwetzingen one Saturday morning and was still passed a few times).

It's extremely refreshing to see people going 225km/h pull over so that someone going 275km/h can pass unimpeded.

People in Germany understand the driving on the Autobahn is dangerous. That in and of itself is a lesson we could learn in the US on our poor copy of the German system.

Lets_Play_Two

All? Of course not. But in general, more competent.

First, they start at an older age, 18.

Second, the license seeker pays for all costs including, but not limited to;

test books, 60 hours of driver training accompanied by a professional instructor in city, rural, day, night, inclement weather, different types of roads, eye exams, theoretical exams, practical exams, tiered licensing.

These costs are probably in excess of $3000.00 now (they were over $2400 about 8 years ago).

Third, if you fail a portion, you wait, retrain, retest, before continuing.

Mopeds /Small Motorcycles/Motorcycles

Mopeds

Light Motorcycles

Motorcycles

Mopeds

Technical characteristics: maximum 50 cm³ capacity, maximum 25 km/h, single-seater only

Driver's license classes: driver's license-exempt, but test certification required

Minimum age: 15

License plate: insurance number

Small motorcycles and bicycles with auxiliary motors

Technical characteristics: maximum 50 cm³ capacity or electric motor, maximum 45 km/h

Driver's license classes: M; A, A1, B and T also apply

License plate: insurance license plate

Light Motorcycles

Technical characteristics: motorcycles to 125 cm³, to 11kW; for 16 and 17-year-olds, 80 km/h maximum speed, depending on the make

Driver's license classes: A1, A also applies

License plate: registration number (large format), for light motorcycles up to 80 km/h small format

General inspection

Motorcycles

Technical characteristics: motorcycles without capacity restrictions

for 16 and 17-year olds 80 km/h maximum speed, depending on the make

Driver's license classes: A, authorization to drive motorcycles without capacity restrictions only after possessing a class A for a minimum of 2 years on motorcycles up to 25 kW, not more than 0.16 kW/kg or direct acquisition of class A (unlimited), minimum 25 years of age. A driver's license takes the place of the test certification

Minimum age: 18

License plate: registration number (large format)

Motor vehicle tax

General inspection

This guy was a jerk and got caught. End of story. thumbsup.gif

I was driving a pick-up truck when I was 12 years old. grin.gif Of course, most of it was on country roads with no traffic or in the corn fields where I just had to avoid tractors. So I had several hundred hours and several thousands of miles of experience before I got my license!!!

Paul Mihalka
However, some have been cited for other violations in the vicinity of Torrey from time to time, and I doubt that anyone would feel like compounding the problem by mouthing off to the ticketing LEO. I'm sure we all would do exactly the same thing should such a situation arise: remove our helmets, smile politely, keep our hands in full view, and answer whatever questions might be asked in as few words as possible.
AND GET A WARNING! grin.gif
russell_bynum

OK, I'll admit it...

I ride motorcycles because of the performance. I like the abilty to go from 30mph to 130mph in the blink of an eye. I like the ability to squeeze through a spot that a car driver coudln't even begin to fantasize about. I like flicking the thing into the turns and feeling the suspension compress.

If bikes didn't perform the way they do, I wouldn't ride them.

I suspect we're all the same in that regard...otherwise, you would all be riding 50cc mopeds.

I'm not saying that 116mph on a crowded highway is a good idea, but let's not bullsh*t ourselves. Nobody buys a 1200CC BMW because it gets good fuel economy...we buy these big-ass, powerful bikes with fancy brakes and snazzy suspension because they perform.

russell_bynum
Russell, you should receive a five-year license suspension for that defiant statement... wink.gif

thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Well, based on that, I won't be driving for quite a while. Running the back roads around here, I'll see that speed or better just in passing a pair of orange or cattle trucks. Idea is to minimize time on the other side of the road. I'll be doing, from a 70 or so rolling start, 120 or so in not very many seconds, depending on what gear I choose to initiate the pass. I understand that it takes an RT a pretty good lenght of roadway to even get to 116 mph, on a bike with some performance, it is really no big deal. Just so you know, it takes my bike about 4.5 seconds and 220 yards to go from 105 to 135 mph, in the right gears.

I have also spent more time than I would like on I-95, both north and south bound. On occasion, to "manage" a traffic situation, I have decided that acceleration is necessary and, in a couple of cases, it needed to be HARD acceleration. Again, moving at 80 or so to just squeeze a little faster than surrounding traffic, to over 100 to find a clear spot is just a downshift or 2 and a twist of the wrist away.

Now, I am against doing this as a matter of course, and far prefer to just run around 10 over whatever traffic is doing. There are times, when my sense of well-being tells me that I need to get out of here, NOW. I have survived nearly 50 years of riding by listening to that sense.

BTW, for the hand wringers, you are not automatically gonna die or even lose control of the motorcycle if you happen to encounter a moderately sized object on the road, or a tar snake. I have hit 40 lb dogs, 80 lb tire carcasses and an assortment of pot holes and 4" high edge traps at speeds that varied between 70 and 120 mph. Never once has my bike done much more than twitch. Momentum and gyroscopic precession are our friends.

"I have also spent more time than I would like on I-95, both north and south bound. On occasion, to "manage" a traffic situation, I have decided that acceleration is necessary and, in a couple of cases, it needed to be HARD acceleration. Again, moving at 80 or so to just squeeze a little faster than surrounding traffic, to over 100 to find a clear spot is just a downshift or 2 and a twist of the wrist away."

So, that was you slowing traffic down today!

tongue.gif

Ed,

Wouldn't it be nice to have a MC only hiway?

We can only dream. grin.gif

lurker.gif

I can't post an opinion on this subject without being a hypocrite. Someone pass the popcorn please.

Cheers

lurker.gif

Agent_Orange

"we buy these big-ass, powerful bikes with fancy brakes and snazzy suspension because they perform".

Methinks that sums it up nicely. thumbsup.gifclap.gif

+1

Many moons ago, I was taught "never to become a target" and always to "pass with authority" thumbsup.gif.....which still means never ride slower than the traffic around you and to use a large right handful to get around slower traffic. Since I came down to the Hill Country I cannot remember when I went out for a ride and DIDN'T exceed 110 in places eek.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Lets_Play_Two

"Since I came down to the Hill Country I cannot remember when I went out for a ride and DIDN'T exceed 110 in places"

I think the traffic environment is probably different from that of I95 between Lantana, FL and Delray Beach FL!!! grin.gif

Archived