IGNORED

Tired hands & back after a ride

TwoStep

I've just returned to riding after many years absence. Love my R1150RT and love it when I get nice weather and some spare time to ride. However even after short trips (<100 miles) my hands, back, and neck are really tired and I ache. I really want to take a week long trip this summer but I'm wondering if I can handle it physically. I work out regularly and am in decent physical shape for a 53 year old. But I suspect my riding posture & gripping need improvement. Any suggestions on what I need to change or work on?

Couchrocket

Fear not... the MYRP will help, and lots more time in the saddle will also tone up those muscles you use riding.

Any time I'm off the bike for more than a week or two, I go through what you describe as I tone back up. On long tours I actually feel better and better the more days I ride consecutively. thumbsup.gif

Francois_Dumas

Stop 'squeezing' the bike.... I know I did it in the beginning, thinking of the 20.000$ I was holding !!!!!

DON'T !

Nor for other reasons.. usually fear, even if unconscious smile.gif

As the others say, stay relaxed as if you were driving your car... that doesn't mean you can drop your guard... but let your eyes and mind do the WORK, the bike will almosts ride itself. Learn to control it more with your hips (and body weight) than with your arms.

MYRP works for one, not for others, but the general idea is to find a position that allows you to sit relaxed on the bike in a positive stance (i.e. NOT hanging back on the handle bars either).

To me the MAIN thing though was the mind... as soon as I stopped worrying about all sorts of things, the rest came back automatically.... no sweat ! wink.gif

I experienced the same thing and for me it just took time in the saddle. At least for me my body wasn't use to that posture and the weight of the helmet. The more I rode the better it got. Just hang in there! thumbsup.gif

I had the same problem as well. I read the MYRP that was mentioned above. I have to keep reminding myself the arch my back as I keep slipping back to the 'slumped' position.

I installed a set of barbacks, and that helped a lot. They are @ $60 and install is very easy.

I'm 51...I can relate to your problems. I installed barbacks, a Russell saddle, Bak up backrest, and Sierra footpegs. I change my riding positon every few minutes..I will stand on my pegs as needed at slow speeds but mostly I find that just riding as much as I can seems to be my best solution. Resist the urge to squeeze the grips..On open roadways I often release both grips, lean back against the back rest and steer the bike with my body.. I could never go back to a bike without cruise control. Also, you may find your wrists do not like the position of the grips..I wish they were a little more turned out..I know someone who machined some barbacks that also turned the out just a tad..I've considered getting some but lately I find don't need them as much..Also, even though teh wind can be a little annoying don't resist the urge to sit up very tall in the seat every few minutes..IT works wonders for my back and once you decide to just take the wind it's really not even annoying but rather enjoyable..I also find it helps to sorta squeeze the gas tank a little with my thighs..It seems to relieve the discomfort in my arms and shoulders..Mostly, just ride....Good luck and keep riding. You'll be glad you did in one year.. thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Go to your favorite watering hole. Preferably one that has bar stools with rungs on the sides of the legs and no back.

Sit on the bar stool at a comfortable distance from the bar and sit as erectly as you can manage. Posture is important here so, head up, shoulders back, nice arch in your lower back towards your belly button, not away. Got that?

OK, now, place the balls of your feet on the side rungs of the stool, hands on knees.

Now, and this is very important, bend at your hips and at the same time, reach forward with your arms till your forearms are just parallel with the top of the bar and hovering about 1/2" over the surface. Maintain that arch in your lower back and your head erect.

You now have the correct posture for distance riding, or any riding for that matter. Not bad for a cooling beverage either, go ahead and order one while you continue your practice. Take a refreshing sip. Note that even though you are leaned forward, you don't have to tilt your head very far back to enjoy the beverage. Note, also that it doesn't take very much muscle to maintain this position but, you will feel a little tightness around your core muscles. Try to notice which of the muscles are pulling a little and which are relaxed. Play a little bit with the various tensions and see how they effect your comfort. Take another sip or two.

You can perform this exercise as long as you wish till you run out of money or fall off the stool, at which time, it is time to go home.

When the hangover abates the next morning, go out to your bike and put it on the main stand and try to recall, through the fog, exactly the position you were in. Never mind the position of your grips for now, try to find that sweet spot you were in just before the lights went out. Wouldn't be at all surprised to find the footpeg to seat relationship is just about the same and your bars are a little high and too far back now. Off to the catalogs or the internet to find the right accessories to position stuff to your particular physical needs.

Note, also, that you shouldn't have to grip the grips with any more force than you used to lift that 1/2 full beer glass.

Caution: Too much of the above practice will eventually lead you to the need for public speaking, as in, "Hi, my name is TwoStep and I'm an alcoholic." grin.gif

Whip,

I'm thinkin possibly another candidate for consideration to the "Defending the Alamo from Terrorists Since 1836" club... wink.gif

Relax your hands and don't have a death grip. Twist your neck while riding and try a kidney belt for your back, like a "Kevco Stubbs." The more you ride the more you train your muscles to get use to it. Just like running you don't start off with a marathon, but repeated trips increase your tolerance and ability level. I'm older than you and riding is what it is all about, you only get old when you stop riding. I have a friend that is 75 years old and we ride all the time and mostly dirt in Baja and we are no slow boys. So quit crying and ride like the wind or sit at home sell your motor feeling sorry for yourself. Life outdoors on the bike is the only way to go. bncry.gifdopeslap.giflmao.gif

I printed up MYRP for a little light reading, I'm gonna try out Ed suggestion minus the liquor until we can practice it as a group grin.gif

Had the same problem and followed the above suggestions to the letter. You guys saved my new bike's life grin.gif. But I want to see pics if you guys do the gang practice thing. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

FYI to all that replied to my posting.

I'm now using the MYRP. I noticed that my upper body relaxed as soon as I started paying attention to using my legs & waist muscles. I felt an immediate change. I no longer am I putting excessive pressure on my arms & hands. I just finished a 3 hour ride with little more than a sore butt. I'm now looking forward to a long trip this coming fall.

Thanks to everyone that answered my question.

Archived