IGNORED

Autocom Mounting

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I've had my Autocom about a week now and have all of the bugs worked out. thumbsup.gif This weekend I plan to hard mount it to the bike somewhere. Of course, the manual suggests the tail section, just wonderinng if others have better ideas or recommendations. Frankly at the moment I'm thinking about velcroing it to the battery cover as it seems to sit there fine without interference and should be well protected from the weather. Any thoughs appreciated as I will be tackling this in the morning.

Rich

Hey Rich,

I haven't owned an 1150, so I can't give advice specific to your setup. However, I can tell you that on my R1200RT I've got it directly beneath the saddle. On my wife's R1200CL it's in the right hard case where the CD changer would go. On my K75 it was in the tail section storage area. Works fine in all areas, although the most convenient is probably on my wife's R1200CL, just because it is real easy to pop open the case and make changes to the unit (plus that CD mount was just wasted space and I liked the idea that it could be used).

My only concerns about putting it so close to the battery would be interference from the magnetic field and damage from acid (obviously not an issue if your battery is a sealed type). But, if you have been running it there without trouble I say, "go for it."

Good luck!

Kevin

Slyder_Steve

Rich,

I used some velcro and "mounted" it in the radio box. Good spot as I was able to store the cables when not in use for my 10 minute commute. When I used it, I brought the cables out via the top of the box under the fairing.

Steve

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Thank you all! A good nights rest and lots of great ideas to greet me. thumbsup.gif It sounds like there are several good options, so After some coffee and further consideration of all, I'll get at it this morning. BTW-my seat is in position 2, so the under the seat idea also works for me. I'm going to be going for a ride to Canyon Lakee afterward, so I'll be back with the results, and pics, sometime later this weekend..

Thanks again.

Rich

I initially installed mine in the back next to the tool bag. After installing a Zumo it just made more sense for the Autocom to be closer to the front. So, I attached it with Velcro to the battery cover. No regrets... yet.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters
I initially installed mine in the back next to the tool bag. After installing a Zumo it just made more sense for the Autocom to be closer to the front. So, I attached it with Velcro to the battery cover. No regrets... yet.

I have a Zumo as well and that's exactly what I wound up doing. Just finished. I am heading out for a good ride this afternoon and will report back later this weekend.

I am very glad to hear that yours is working out. thumbsup.gif

I've had my Autocom about a week now and have all of the bugs worked out. thumbsup.gif This weekend I plan to hard mount it to the bike somewhere. Of course, the manual suggests the tail section, just wonderinng if others have better ideas or recommendations. Frankly at the moment I'm thinking about velcroing it to the battery cover as it seems to sit there fine without interference and should be well protected from the weather. Any thoughs appreciated as I will be tackling this in the morning.

Rich

I have mine in the tail section supported in a cutout of high density foam. (Also have the computer for my cruise control mounted there).

IMHO I found if the seat is adjusted on the very low position there wasn't sufficient clearance on my air cleaner. Also in the tail section is does not get disturbed during services.

Ed

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Great choice Tom. Unfortunately, that is exactly where I have my Power Commander mounted. For this reason, I opted for velcroed to the air vox. As my seat is in position two, this is working well so far.

thaks for the feedbacck.

rich

I too am in the process of installing my Autocom Active + System.

I purchased part # 1546 (Direct Battery Connection) and the instructions recommend connecting to the positive wire coming out of the rear power socket located on the left hand side of the rear compartment. The two wire connection to the power outlet is a 'clip on' model having a red wire with a green stripe and a brown wire. Anyone have an idea which is the positive wire?

I'm also wondering where to mount the two plastic clips for the lead wire plugs (rider and passenger) on the bike. Pictures would be helpful if you have any. Are there any 'end caps' to plug the ends of plugs when not in use. I'm worried about water and corrosion getting into the wiring and causing problems...

Thanx for your help thumbsup.gif

I mounted mine in the tail on that flat bar with velcro. It rides just fine there out of the way. Once you set the volume controls, you shouldn't need to touch them again. I had a problem with engine whine when I had a cable isolator box too close to the battery. When I moved it 6" away from the battery, the noise went away. Where ever you put the unit and cables, check the system with the bike running before zip tying it all down to see if there is any noise. Rev up the engine during the test. It took me a while to get all the noise out of my system.

John Bentall

Mine is mounted in the tail (by the Autocom factory in the UK) and there is plenty of room for there the Autocom-powered Icom FRS radio to nestle beside it.

Great work!

Now, what do you do about the connector that hangs down from the helmet? I saw somebody riding around with a little plastic clip that fit perfectly and attached it to his helmet so it was out of the way, but I was unable to ask him about it.

I sent an email to Autocom about it, but haven't heard anything back.

Does anybody here have any ideas?

Thanks!

John Bentall
Great work!

Now, what do you do about the connector that hangs down from the helmet? I saw somebody riding around with a little plastic clip that fit perfectly and attached it to his helmet so it was out of the way, but I was unable to ask him about it.

I sent an email to Autocom about it, but haven't heard anything back.

Does anybody here have any ideas?

Thanks!

Clip was Autocom part #1550.

Archived