IGNORED

Rig running lights for R12RT?

John in VA

I miss the SignalMinder on my old R1100RT and its running lights feature. Has anyone figured a way to rig running lights on the R1200RT on the cheap? Maybe tap the tail light wire?

I miss the SignalMinder on my old R1100RT and its running lights feature. Has anyone figured a way to rig running lights on the R1200RT on the cheap? Maybe tap the tail light wire?

Hyperlites.....AWESOME. $100 and you get 16 LEDs on each side that are running lights and flashing brake lights. PM me your e-mail if you'd like to see a working vid I can send you. They are top quality.

I've been thinking of this too for my KS (can buss also).

My thought is with enough diodes & resisters a reduced voltage could be applied to all four turn signals without frying anything.

A relay or two could knock out one or both sides during application of a turn blinker.

Yes I had Hyperlites on my 11RT but I'm looking at a dual-element conversion solution for the stock turnsignals, utilizing the tail light feed for the second element as a running light. I've looked at the Run-N-Litees website, but they don't list the R1200RT, and I was wondering if anybody rigged something with a dual socket like Run-N-Lites. I guess it's a matter of whether the stock single-feed turnsignal socket can be easily swapped out with a dual-feed and whether the Canbus may not like tapping off the tail light circuit for running lights.

The brake light/tail light bulb is a SINGLE filament unit, where the CAN BUS changes current levels for brake lights versus tail lights. The LED add option is probably the easiest. I got a set of amber LEDs that I placed inside my rear turn signals so I had a similar effect to my old R1100RS.

843191-IMG_0059.JPG.49b1f04a96402e8218564a3fd8dd6fb0.JPG

Mine work beautifully with CAN bus as Hyperlite said they would:

"Hyper-Lite Kits safe with BMW’s new ABS servo systems and CAN bus systems!!

We've put Hyper-Lite brake enhancement kits on hundreds of BMWs with the new brake system, and had several put through the mill by BMW techs. Hyper-Lite kits DO NOT AFFECT THE NEW ABS SENSOR SYSTEMS IN ANY WAY. We're just too danged efficient. Our 280 milliamp current draw is well under the amperage necessary to trigger the sensors. "

Your dealer is wrong. The Hyperlites work perfect and interface with the Canbus just fine - no error codes. He may be referring to the Kisan Pathfinder....the headlight modulator. Installed on the highbeam, the bike things the high beam bulb is bad and the light bulb flashed on the dash. Still very much worth it IMO.

As for the Hyperlights, they are great. Look awesome and are very very visible. They stay on for like 1-2 minutes after you shut off the bike until the bike cuts the power to all circuits. But that is how its supposed to work.

I put hyerlites on my 2005 r1200rt last year and they work fine. Besides, they are a piece of cake to install. They hang easliy on the rear.

Archived