IGNORED

Top case painting...

jakfrost

I have been debating whether or not to have my 49 liter (LARGE) top case color matched to the rest of the bike and was wondering if anyone knows the color code for the Piedmont Red, ( 2005 model ).

I could wait untill I am next to the bike but its at home and I'm not so...I would like to get the paint shop started on materials.

Anyone remember it off hand?

Jim W.

Use your VIN to get the right match. It took two tries for Bob's in MA to get it right but they finally did and it looks great. On a more negative note, the "Piedmont Red" used for my Corbin Smuggler's Trunk is a very poor match and I'm going to have to get it re-painted.

John, thanks for the reply, and excuse my ignorance...but is the paint code imbedded in the VIN? Or should I call the dealer with the VIN to get the correct code...

Thanks, Jim

Well that is what I thought too...911. At least that is what it says under the seat, but when I called the dealer my parts guy said that the #911 refers to the overall paint scheme for the bike and 912 is the code for the red portions.

Anyone else found this??

Jim

Jim, if you have a good body shop in the area they should be able to mix the paint. Take your side case to them. They should be able to take a picture of the paint with a special camera. They then load the info into a computer & out pops a paint code.

Pat

Well that is what I thought too...911. At least that is what it says under the seat, but when I called the dealer my parts guy said that the #911 refers to the overall paint scheme for the bike and 912 is the code for the red portions.

Anyone else found this??

Jim

Jim

I think you may be right, this site confirms (although the spelling is different)

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/

Ian thumbsup.gif

Thanks Ian, I would say that does confirm it, nice to have that cleared up before I do another 200kms round trip for nothing, or worse, the wrong paint!!

Quite an interesting site, how do you guys find these places wave.gif

Jim

I just removed mine. Its really easy...just use something to pry it up a little, enough to get a finger under, and slowyly work your way around.

Use something that will not mar the surounding surface, like a thin piece of wood, I used a piece of aluminum with a little plastic on it.

Start at one side or the other, NOT the top or bottom. There are 2 locating dowels on the left and right side and if you pry from the top or bottom you could possible break one or both of them off.

The adhesive is only around the outer 1/4" so its not too bad. Mine came off very easily. Its just the first 'lifting' that is scary tongue.gif.

Jim W.

Hey!!! That's my bike. I traded for it a couple of months ago and found Jeff's name in the owners manual. I wish he would have left all the stuff on it. That would have saved me a ton on money. I had to buy my own seat and topcase, for cryin' out loud lmao.gif

But you do have the satisfaction of knowing that you ride the ex-bike of an MOA legend. Jeff's quite a nice guy and contributed a lot to the MOA, particularly in the safe riding area.

FWIW, I had my small topcase painted to match (The Red, of course) and it changed the character of the bike for me. It all matches now. Get lots of positive comments from bystanders.

I had my large top case painted a week after I ordered it in May '05. I needed it for the annual Ride for Dad but after that I brought it back to the dealer to have painted. I still do not know why they don't come color matched for the bike frown.gif

Just to let everyone who might think about painting their Piedmont Red RT...according to BMW Canada the only paint available for the 'fastest' color is a rattle can touch-up kit. There are 1/2 liter cans for all the other colors... tongue.gif.

So I guess the only option is to have the paint shop mix up a batch of '912' and give it a shot, no pun intended crazy.gif

In my previous experience that is a 'hit and miss' procedure, a lot depends on the color and location of the painted panel. If it doesn't match it perfectly I will scrap it. OCP and double type A have their downsides lmao.gif

Jim

Do it...you won't regret it. I had mine matched to the Piedmont Red at a motorcycle custom paint and body shop and it looks awesome (IMO)! grin.gif

I can send you a larger pic if you like, just PM me.

My brother painted the topcase on his GT last year. Man, what a difference!

dv1.jpg

dv2.jpg

Now if we could just get rid of those extra two cylinders, his bike would be all set.

grin.gif

Archived