IGNORED

Popping out of 2nd gear.

Armando

Yesterday, while riding home, my bike popped out of 2nd gear. I thought it may have been lazy gear engaging on my end but did happen again this AM. Normally, this would not bother me as it has not been a consistent behavior. However, over the last few weeks I have noticed that popping into and out 2nd has not been all that smooth. Some times when trying to engage 2nd, I hit neutral. And sometimes I don’t find 3rd until I let go and engage the clutch again. All other gears engage just fine.

Any ideas on what might be going on? My bike is an ’02 and I am just rolling into the 12k mark.

I have experienced this too but mostly when I am wearing running shoes, seems not to happen with boots. Do you preload the shifter before you shift? Have you changed to synthetic fluids in your transmission and rear drive? If your shifter is adjustable like on the R1100, then trying the other position may help also.

I have experienced this too but mostly when I am wearing running shoes, seems not to happen with boots. Do you preload the shifter before you shift? Have you changed to synthetic fluids in your transmission and rear drive? If your shifter is adjustable like on the R1100, then trying the other position may help also.

I changed the fluids shortly after I purchased the bike sometime in '05 but not sure if they were synthetic. As for preload, I was doing that for a while but it eventually morphed into starting the gear change shortly before the clutch engages. I guess it accomplishes the same thing as my gear changes have become quite smooth, except for those instances referenced above.

a

I'd change the fluid and see if you have any of the telltale signs of a wear problem. If there is a metalic sheen to the oil, you're headed for trouble. If it looks good, breath a sigh of relief and work on your shifting technique.

I'd change the fluid and see if you have any of the telltale signs of a wear problem. If there is a metalic sheen to the oil, you're headed for trouble. If it looks good, breath a sigh of relief and work on your shifting technique.

I am afraid to ask - what does the metalic sheen mean?

It means something is wearing out. I believe a gold color indicates a worn shift fork, bearings and such show up as a silver/grey color. Unfortunately, I've seen the gold.

If the OP had an early model 1100 then this problem would almost certainly be related to premature shift fork wear and the tell-tale golden sheen in the drained oil, as that was a common problem in the pre-M97 transmissions. But the later 1100s and the 1150 models are not usually affected by this issue.

Armando, Armando, Armando........

Remember Karma? tongue.gif

Seriously, before you get too worked up about it, have someone else ride it and confirm the potential problem. Mabe you just had a couple of bad shifting days.

Bring it over on Saturday and we can check the linkage.

Can you define "later" better?
Yes, all 1100s from the 1997 model year on had the 'M97' transmission which incorporated a fix for the shift fork wear problem.
Armando, Armando, Armando........

Remember Karma? tongue.gif

Seriously, before you get too worked up about it, have someone else ride it and confirm the potential problem. Mabe you just had a couple of bad shifting days.

Bring it over on Saturday and we can check the linkage.

AJ -

I am afraid of posting anymore. I just keep wondering how long it will take you to track me down!!! Yes, the karma has worked its mojo.

I'll be in touch to find out what your day is like on Saturday. I am banking on just having a couple of bad shifting days.

smirk.gif

a

Armando, did you ever check the shift linkage as was suggested? You never commented on that.

David,

I did not get a chance to do this last night. I will check and report tonight though.

a

I quickly checked the linkage and it definitely feels like there is quite a bit of play when I move it sideways and up/down. I will have to check the repair manual for specs.

AJ - We are going to the uconn game on Sat morning. Should be back by 4. Would 5 or so work for you?

a

I quickly checked the linkage and it definitely feels like there is quite a bit of play when I move it sideways and up/down. I will have to check the repair manual for specs.
Play in the shifting shaft going into the side of the tranny, or play between the shaft and its shifting linkage? If the former, in may be normal. The later is an issue.
Play in the shifting shaft going into the side of the tranny, or play between the shaft and its shifting linkage? If the former, in may be normal. The later is an issue.
so I went out again to see if I could not tell how much is too much play. The shaft going into the side of the tranny has play, both rotational and up and down. The linkage also has play. I just can't tell how how much is too much since I don't have a reference point. The good thing is that we have a tech day coming up next weekend so I will be able to compare. I will post my findings after the tech day.

a

Armando, did you ever check the shift linkage as was suggested? You never commented on that.

David,

I took the fairing off this AM as well as the foot rest plate. I found that the linkage that attaches to the gearbox itself was 1/2 way out. The gear rod to which the linkage attaches to has 2 sections of groves split by a smooth concave section. I noticed that as I applied pressure to the foot lever, the linkage tilted up more than rotating because the edge closest to the engine would dip into the concave section of the gear rod. I hope this is the cause of my problem which only got worse on Friday driving home from work.

If this is not it, then I guess I have bigger problems.

thanks again.

a

Like David pointed out it looks like a "simple" linkage adjustment, had the very same experience with the 1150rt i had dopeslap.gif...

Although on the RT this simple adjustment can be just a bit more complicated... has been for me... but i did it at dark...

Spring is in the air so I taught of visiting my friends, sold my rt last year to get a Z3... not the same fun but fun anyway...

You know when spring comes, every bikers (with or without bikes) gets that hurge tongue.gif... so I calm down visiting this site again wave.gif...

Wish you all a great seasons buddies and keep the rubber side down!

If it's not the linkage, it may be the clutch slave cylinder. That went on mine with similar symptoms.
Litigator,

what else can I check to rule the slave cylinder in/out? I will be putting the bike together tonight and riding it will tell me whether it was the linkage, or not. But I am interested in what else to look for.

a

A slave cylinder problem could cause poor/incomplete shifts, leading to a pop out, but if the shifts seem normal to the rest of the gears, and there is no evidence of excessive clutch drag, etc, I'd say it's a long shot.

Archived