IGNORED

Removing both wheels on the centerstand

bross

I am about to pull the wheels off my 06 RT so I can get my new Conti Road Attacks mounted. When I place the bike on the centerstand, it's always front heavy. What do you guys do when you take both wheels off? I don't want the bike to tip off the centerstand when I pull one of the wheels off. Thanks.

-put bike on center stand

-strap/wire etc. center stand so it stays down!

-load up sidebags/place weight on the rear rack to get weight at the back and front tire off the ground

-remove front wheel

-put wood on floor and rock bike forward so forks are resting on the wood on the ground. you might have to adjust your rear weight. make sure your center stand will not fold up!!!

-remove rear wheel

if your uncomfortable with that then do 1 tire at a time using a jack under the engine to lift the front.

steve.foote

An addition to Bills procedure is to use a milk crate as a stand for the front fork and have someone sit on the rear seat while you remove the front wheel.

Jim VonBaden

At our last tech day, on a K1200RS, we put the front axle back in and rested it on a jack stand. The weight is not enough to bend the axle, and it was very stable.

Jim cool.gif

PS This works well if you are removing both tire at once, but be careful to keep kids away because the bike can go over easily.

...if your uncomfortable with that then do 1 tire at a time using a jack under the engine to lift the front.

Watch your placement of the jack under the engine. The cooling fins on the sump casing break very easily.

I remove the rear wheel first then ratchet a loading strap attached between the rear luggage rack and the front of my tractor to pull the back end down a bit. I can then easily remove the front wheel and all is secure until I am ready to re-assemble everything.

Jay

If you have a garage... some tie downs over the rafters work awesome as a temporary bike lift. I changed a rear shock on a sportbike this way. 350lbs isn't all that much weight for your rafters to handle.

...and again, make absolutely certain the center stand can't fold. Tie it to the forks or something in that area. Personally, I think this is the most important step...

...and again, make absolutely certain the center stand can't fold. Tie it to the forks or something in that area. Personally, I think this is the most important step...

Yes I was definitely going to do that, and I like the rafter idea, I was kinda thinking of doing that anyway.

BucksTherapy
If you have a garage... some tie downs over the rafters work awesome as a temporary bike lift. I changed a rear shock on a sportbike this way. 350lbs isn't all that much weight for your rafters to handle.

I have found this to be the safest method. I place two 2x4 across three or four rafters then tie to the 2x4. I use soft ties over top of the triple tree and under the bars so it won't crush the ignition switch and I pull the seat and use the cross member under the front seat. The second takes most the weight. I use a ratcheting strap to take up slack and put pressure so both wheels are off the ground at the same time. You could pick the bike up this way I think.

Even if the kids or Murphy intervene the bike can not fall.

Call me anal but I've dropped a previous RT in the garage. Not nice bncry.gif

Archived