IGNORED

XM RADIO

STICKMAN

I was thinking about putting an XM Radio system on my 2004 R1150RT.,,Does any one have any input regarding placement location necessary items etc.

Thanks clap.gif

You might get more response in the Bike Related Forum, but here is how I did mine.

I don't have anything on my bike except my XM Roady xt. For my mounting plate I used aluminum flat bar stock. You can get this at home centers. It is handy stuff to have around since it is easy to cut and shape.

I mounted the Roady base to the aluminum as pictured. very clean installation. I picked up power from my auxillary lights because it was right behind the headlight and accessible. I ran the power to the storage compartment on the left side of the tupperware. I simply connected to a regular cigarette light socket, and I just plug the power cord for the Roady in there keeping everything out of the weather. My antenna sits on top of my brake reservior, held in place with velcro.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The white cord on the left side runs under the tupperware and comes up under the seat. When I want to listen I pull the cable end out and plug in my earphones. It keeps the cables from flopping around in the wind.

I purchased a ram ball mount that screws into the top of the lefthand brake reservoir top plate. My XM radio is a MyFi with a battery. I purchased a carriage for the MyFi from an authorized XM dealer and the carriage and radio now sit on the ram mount with easy access with my left hand to change channels, volume, off/on, etc...

I like the MyFi because I can take the radio out of the carriage and put it in a sleeve holder and with my XM antenna headset, can get off and walk or hike with it if I want. I have a backup battery and a special socket adaptor for use on my 1200 RT so I can be charging one battery while using the other. When going in for servicing, I remove only 4 screws and the mechanic has access to the brake reservoir. Hope this helps.

Bruce

Satellite Radio. Usually commercial free. I believe that XM has around 170 channels.

Unfortunately not available in Europe. bncry.gif

A couple of suggestions:

1. Mount the radio itself where you can control it easily with your left (clutch) hand.

2. Mount the antenna in a place where it is well clear of obstructions like your tank-bag, other equipment and your body. The radio operates in the high UHF, near SHF, frequency range. High frequency, short wavelength and low power all result in an easy ability to block signal reception (just put your hand over the antenna and listen to the dead air). I found the best place for the antenna to be on the very top of my top box. Anywhere else and I got too much signal fading.

3. Avoid power sharing. I discovered that I was experiencing a lot of background static and poor performance when I had my radio connected to 12V through a multi-port adapter, sharing power with my GPS and MixIt 2 amplifier. As soon as I provided a dedicated connection direct to the battery my sound quality improved.

markgoodrich

My less-than-$3 mount now has about 2500 miles on it with no problems. No drilling, no major modifications. The antenna has stuck to the handlebar screw like it's epoxied on, over all sorts of rough paved roads.

It's on the R1200RT, but the idea can easily be adapted to your bike.

Here's a description: http://tinyurl.com/2u9puc

Archived