IGNORED

Nail in rear tire

Bheckel169

Inspecting my rear tire today after a ride and noticed a small nail firmly embedded in the middle of the tire in the groove. This is a Michelin Pilot Road and has 4300 miles on it. From a safety standpoint, I'm alway one to err on the side of caution and get a new tire and patch the old one and have it for a spare. I've got a couple long rides in the next two months and a simple patch job would probably get it done, but, not having any experience with these tires or for that matter a flat on any of my motorcycles in over 13 years (fingers crossed), I'm not sure what makes practical sense here. The tire is still inflated and I can ride it down to the shop. I know new tires are pricey for my 1200 RT, but the expense for a new tire is something I would not factor in in my decision. It's all about safety and long term wear after a nail has gone in. This is a straight, simple puncture.

Your thoughts,

Bruce

beemerman2k

I tend to be a safety nut in these cases, so I'd vote for a new tire.

But if cost is a factor, mail order the tire, remove your rear wheel, and take it down to any motorcycle dealer to have it mounted and balanced. That'll save some money.

I just wore out a back tire after getting a nail in it after only 500 - 600 miles..I had it patched from the inside and rode on it until the cords were exposed without a problem..

You didn't say if it was "leaking" after you removed the nair. If it was NOT leaking. I'd keep riding as if it didn't happen. If it Was leaking, replace it.

BucksTherapy

If it;s not leaking after pulling the nail then use it as normal.

I had a nail in a Pilot Road much as you describe but it went well through. I used a plug to get me home. Pulled the wheel and tookit to have the tire removed. I then had it vulcanized. This process melts new material into the tole and puts a hot patch on the inside. It then cures for the night in an oven where it is baked and brought down in temp gradually. I have had zero issues with this tire since.

This is the same process they use for high pressure truck tires and it holds under those extremes as well. There are only a few shops around that do this but I am told it is the safest method and the shops have been doing here for years without failures they say.

This process has worked for me twice and I got normal wear out of the tire.

I got a nail in a Metzler M6 at 2500KM rode it the last 15KM home flat as I live in the country and it was getting dark, used a vulcanising patch from the inside for repair. Had no problems replaced a very bauld tyre at 12500 KM. Some people are a bit precious with tyres and waste a lot of money.

I have my punctures repaired by a shop that puts a plug in from the inside. THe plug looks like a mushroom and is glued to the inside of the tire. Never had a problem doing it this way. I too, had a tire get a nail in it after 600 miles and trashing the tire was not an option although I could afford a new tire. Be warned that some dealers are going to refuse to repair the tire on the premise that it is unsafe. There is no evidence for this, all they want to do is sell you another tire. People seem to have strong opinions on this so , in the end, you will have to make your own decision.

IMHO,

Quick fix... plug it with that (sticky cord?)

If that doesn't take YOUR concern away, Go with the more complex, e.g., dismount the tire and have it patched (as explained above) from the inside.

In either case, be sure to habitually MONITOR the tire for leaking air.

You can also use one of several tire valve caps available and designed to alert you (with a flashing L.E.D., or with a change in color) That air pressure in tire has dropped.

I have a set that use the flashing LED... VERY effective at "catching" your attention.

I patched a Metz z6 with 1000 miles on it and have been riding it with no problems. I did have a hard time finding anyone willing to patch it. The guy who finally mounted it wouldn't patch it, but he would mount a tire I patched. confused.gif I plugged it myself when it first went flat and that appeared to hold fine. However, just to be careful I later brought it to a tire store who did a nice job of patching it on the inside of the tire. They were an automotive tire store.

The whole time it was being mounted another customer chewed my ear off about how stupid it is to patch a motorcycle tire. I appreciate he was probably just concerned about my safety, so I listed politely, but after I told him I was comfortable with the patch he should have left me alone. He was relentless. I listened to all his advice and then did just as I planned all along... Sheesh.

Mike

The only issue I have heard of is the newer low bias tires have metal weave in the tire and this can act like a guillitine to cut off the the rubber insert. The Stop & Go plugs have mushroom heads and I have heard of loosing the plug while on the road. Bottom line from here is the plug is temprary then put a patch on the inside & let air pressure do its job.

Jim VonBaden
The only issue I have heard of is the newer low bias tires have metal weave in the tire and this can act like a guillitine to cut off the the rubber insert. The Stop & Go plugs have mushroom heads and I have heard of loosing the plug while on the road. Bottom line from here is the plug is temprary then put a patch on the inside & let air pressure do its job.

I have had this happen, and seen it a couple times. I use string plugs and this is never an issue!

Jim cool.gif

... The Stop & Go plugs have mushroom heads and I have heard of loosing the plug while on the road ...

I have had this happen, and seen it a couple times. I use string plugs and this is never an issue!

I've seen both string and mushroom plugs fail. Last fall on a group trip in Baja I used my BMW kit to patch 3 different bikes - one had the mushroom plug fail then a can of tire-seal goo make a mess before the BMW plug provided the leak-proof temporary repair. Another lasted the 1000mi back to San Diego - no replacement tyre available. Both times a compressor was available. On the 3rd flat I finally got to use the CO2 cylinders and was impressed at how effectively they worked.

I recommend the BMW patch kit as the best emergency kit I've carried in 37 years of riding.

... and rode on it until the cords were exposed without a problem.
eek.gif

Just had a friend blow out his rear tire last week - rode it a bit too long (too bald?)! The good news is that he was able to keep the rubber side down, but this get his attention!

Ya mean like this?

33604546-L.jpg

Screwed on MacDonald Pass, just outside Helena, MT on the RT. Flat as a pancake next AM. I had to put in a plug and ride to Helena Cycle Center where they put a "plug patch" in for me. I rode another 4000 miles on the tire with ZERO issues.

Or like this??

61800539-L.jpg

61800541-L.jpg

Picked up a nail on the GS just a few blocks from home, so did the "plug patch" thing for myself. You can get them at any auto parts store for CHEAP. You have to break the bead, dismount one side of the tire, clean and abrade around the hole, glob glue on the patch and tire, thread it through, tug it from the outside and smooth it from the inside, then put the tire back on the rim. This tire went another 2500 miles before I'd worn the tread off, zero issues.

I carry two Bob's BMW tire irons and a set of these patches with me everywhere. I have the plugs too, but those are a PITA and don't work very well most of the time. I've never had an issue with a PROPERLY plug-patched tire.

Cheers!

Doug

Word of warning for those members that have any form of tire pressure units NEVER use the tire goo! If you have ever seen the inside of a rim after using it you will understand (it will kill the units). dopeslap.gif

at 4300 miles my tire was toast already. I would just ride if air is not leaking and replace when / if air leaks, or when worn out.

h

This has obviously been a discussion that's gone around before and it's probably more important than we thought.

I'm convinced after all the replies I'd rather replace the tire. I know a good repair can work and there have been plenty of posts indicating it works and it's safe, but I have to tell you, I think I'd rather pay the dough and just not have one more thing to think about on a long ride. I know I'd be thinking about it right in the middle of incredible scenery. I guess I'm a bit anal about these things. Thanks for the input. I think a new Michelin is in the future for me.

Archived