IGNORED

Ruby Had Leaky Seals

keithb

On Sunday April 1 I took my 05 RT (Ruby) to Long Beach BMW to be inspected for leaking transmission seals. During our SoCal tech day I noticed a wet area by the transission and decided to keep my eye on it. I had not heard anything by Tuesday night and left for a short business trip to the midwest for two days. Last night I got in and received an email that my bike was ready for pickup. The seals had been replaced as well as the CLUTCH due to oil contamination!! I have not heard the gnarly details of the their findings but I am pretty darn impressed that they repaired my bike in 2-3 days of me dropping it off. Ruby has 20.2K miles on her now. Thanks to the person posting the note about leaking seals. It reminded me to check mine and sure enough they needed to be replaced. Now there are no worries about heading off to Torrey in 5 weeks. If you own a hexhead I would recommend you inspect the tranny area of your bike for leaks.

Hi Dave

You just cannot beat that kind of service. Now I just have to be patient for Sunday morning to arrive to go riding with my buddies up between the 14 and 5 freeways.

Later.

The seals (my dealer is going to do both) are being replaced on Tuesday on my 05 RT with 19.5k miles. They found the issue at the 18k service, but could not take the repair right away. no problems in the time (approx 2 weeks) and miles (approx 1500) between discovery and planned repair. I'm just glad they found it and will fix under warranty. BMW of Atlanta thumbsup.gif

Lynne

What a coincidence. My bike had 18.2K on it when I saw the first signs of oil seeping. It took only 2K miles for it to become evident that something was definitely leaking. I am thankful the bike is under warranty as well. It would be an expensive repair otherwise.

St0nkingByte

Would you guys be so kind as to remind us roughly where we should be checking to ensure we're not having leaking seals too? I think someone posted a pic but I can't find it.

Thanks!

Look at the very rear of engine in front of the catalytic converter. If you see that it is wet/oily chances are your seals are leaking. Sorry I don't have a picture to post.

Thanks to the person posting the note about leaking seals. It reminded me to check mine and sure enough they needed to be replaced. Now there are no worries about heading off to Torrey in 5 weeks. If you own a hexhead I would recommend you inspect the tranny area of your bike for leaks.

Your welcome! wave.gif

I guess to get mine done I will have to come down to California!

Would make for a nice ride though! If it makes it that far! bncry.gif

Andy.

Would you guys be so kind as to remind us roughly where we should be checking to ensure we're not having leaking seals too? I think someone posted a pic but I can't find it.

Thanks!

Discovered mine is seeping at 11,000 miles.....Not a lot of fluid but enough...Will be replaced under warranty....

Phil.........Redbrick

Orientation: Starter in upper left...Exhaust system at bottom..Viewed from under left side of bike....

R1200LeakySeal002.jpgp><p> [img]<a href=http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/R1200rtbmw/R1200LeakySeal001.jpg' alt='R1200LeakySeal001.jpg'>

I brought my 2005 RT in to Brown Motor Works recently for the 24,000 mile ( 2-year ) service and specifically asked them to check the clutch.The tech noted the leaking seal situation and they replaced them under warranty.The tech said the clutch looked fine and they buttoned her up......

I sure wished they would have replaced the clutch or called me and given me the option.I'm not happy.

Steve

Archived