IGNORED

Discolured Oil Site Glass

Spudman

Hello,

The oil site glass on my 95 R1100R is so discoloured it is almost impossible to read the oil level after an oil change and very difficult even when the oil has a couple of thousand K's on it. Has anyone else experienced this problem? What did you do about it? Has anyone tried to change the glass(plastic I bet)? I heard it is possible to change without tearing down the engine, just needs some fiddling with, has anyone tried it?

Hi Spudman and welcome to the board - I moved your post into its own topic so the original thread was not hijacked.

The sightglass is an easy fix and by BMW standards not expensive. If the glass is not leaking than this job is best done as part of an oil change. Drain the old oil and then do the glass before re-filling with oil.

To change the glass, heat up a small nail and push it through the sightglass which is made of plastic. Then get a self-tapping or sheet-metal screw and run it into the hole a turn or two. Using pliers you can then just pull the old glass out. Clean up the area around the hole and using a suitable sized socket push the new one into place. This is best done dry.

HTH,

Andy

Search a bit and you can probably find a more detailed procedure. Drain oil, put hot nail through sight glass, put screw through hole, pull out old glass (vise grips) and o-ring, push in new glass and o-ring, refill w/oil.

Thanks, I wish I would have posted earlier as I just changed the oil and I am having a hard time determining the level. tongue.gif

Thanks, I wish I would have posted earlier as I just changed the oil and I am having a hard time determining the level. tongue.gif

may be a blessing in disguise. dopeslap.gif

Jim VonBaden

No sweat, park your bike on the centerstand cold, and likely you will see no oil in the site glass, chenge it then.

It might take a few tries to get there, but inevitably it will happen, which is why so many end up overfilling their oil! dopeslap.gif

Jim cool.gif

Hi guy's just how many miles on the bike people should go ahead change this oil site glass or just wait unit it start leaking I just don't want this glass pop out on me while riding. Thanks

Hi guy's just how many miles on the bike people should go ahead change this oil site glass or just wait unit it start leaking I just don't want this glass pop out on me while riding. Thanks

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

If the sightglass is discoloured or leaking swap it out. These are not a normal sevice item.

Andy

Archived