IGNORED

RT-P crash bar conversion???

news_by_KKO

news_by_KKO

I'm thinking of retrofitting the RT-P crash bars on my RT.

Besides having to remove all the plastic and drill a hole, how hard is it to fit the front crash bar sub frame?

I think I found a front sub frame but I still need the rest of the RT-P crash bar stuff. So if you got it and you want to sell it or better yet donate it, please send me a message.

Thanks

Kris

I'm thinking of retrofitting the RT-P crash bars on my RT.

Besides having to remove all the plastic and drill a hole, how hard is it to fit the front crash bar sub frame?

I think I found a front sub frame but I still need the rest of the RT-P crash bar stuff. So if you got it and you want to sell it or better yet donate it, please send me a message.

Thanks

Kris

To be honest, why would you want to do this? It'll drop the resale value of your bike by $thousands, because at resale buyers will assume that it was an RT-P.

And yes, in my opinion it'd be a real hassle retro fitting the crashbars, The mounts are intertwined with the subframe like cancer. The lower mount-point includes a braket that fits across the transmission base, i.e. you'd need to remove both the bike center stand and lower transmission mounting screws and then retorque the trans with new screws. The upper mount is also intertwined with the regular sub-frame. Find someone who has an RT-P stripped for service, or better yet, visit a local dealer who's servicing RT-P's, and take some pictures of the bike striped of plastic. (I say pictures, because I find I don't really "see" the details when I'm working on my bike until I look at pictures. Either the lighting is better, or my eyes are failing, but I just understand things better looking at pictures.)

Good luck with the project. I'm thinking of coverting my RT-P solo-seat to a regular dual-seat RT. Your best bet is to find someone with an RT-P that wants to do the same, swap parts and plastics, and maybe repaint both bikes to OEM colors. A two-bike, bike-to-bike switch is do-able. Building an RT-P from a civilian bike would be, in my opinion, a serious challenge. There's always that one-other-stinking-part that doesn't show up on the fiche when you're doing custom work like that.

All of my inquiries about the same install of the RT-P bars on an RT were answered with ... Don't Do It! The job is horrendous and you will lose value.

So, I got the Wunderlich engine protector bars instead. thumbsup.gif

news_by_KKO

Well, I guess my qestion was answered. My hopes are crushed tongue.gif

I was hopping for somthing I can install on my present bike and move to another bike latter.

The used RT-P from California Highway Patrol are way to destroyed to be worth buying and the few citiy cops arould here that use BMW usually trade them in to BMW.

Thanks!

Archived