IGNORED

Final Drive Oil. What Type to use?

Mike T

I changed the oil in my Final Drive this weekend on a '06 R1200RT with 7K miles. The oil that was in there was very Black and no signs of any metal flakes or sheen. I wasn't sure what type of fluid the Final Drive calls for so asked the local dealer who said it was BMW 80/90 Dino Gear Oil which I used. I've since seen other posts that recommend BMW 75/140W Synthetic. Anyone know what is the correct answer? Am I OK with the 80/90W?

I changed the oil in my Final Drive this weekend on a '06 R1200RT with 7K miles. The oil that was in there was very Black and no signs of any metal flakes or sheen. I wasn't sure what type of fluid the Final Drive calls for so asked the local dealer who said it was BMW 80/90 Dino Gear Oil which I used. I've since seen other posts that recommend BMW 75/140W Synthetic. Anyone know what is the correct answer? Am I OK with the 80/90W?

Several others including myself run 75w140,but the offical "Fatherland reccomendation and listed in the Dealers paper work" is 75w90.

1100-1150 series--- 75-140 trans and final drive

the new 1200 series--- 75w90 trans and final

100_0920.jpg

Archived