IGNORED

Proficient Motorcycling

beemerman2k

beemerman2k

I posted a thread in the "Motorcycle Talk" forum about motorcycle top speeds being "capped" by the government. Obviously, I am totally opposed to such a move and I'll explain why in a second. But a voice chimed in that I did not welcome with open arms. After some debate, another member of this forum sent me a PM advising me that I am taking on none other than David Hough, the author of what I consider to be the most important books on motorcycle safety you can find anywhere, "Proficient Motorcycling" and "More Proficient Motorcycling".

David Hough is my hero. David, you have saved my butt on more occasions than either of us realize. There have been times, however, when a teaching from your book had a direct effect on saving my butt.

On one occasion, I was riding home to LA from my job in Calabasas, CA. There's generally a lot of traffic on that highway and I remember reading where you point out that cars generally travel in packs. Therefore, you encourage riders to ride in between the packs and not in the midst of them. I was in the middle lane, heading South on the 101 with a pack of cars ahead of me and a pack behind me, when I caught a glimpse of something in the left lane. As I approached the object, I saw that it was a fairly large mattress; I think it may have just fallen off a truck when it initially caught my eye. I had no time to warn the other vehicles so I had to hope they were paying attention. A car at the head of the pack behind me, in the left lane, was not paying attention and in my mirror, I saw him hit the mattress and spin out -- losing control and crossing the highway. I didn't get to see much afterward as I had to pay attention to my own situation. But I had to wonder what would have happened to me if I was in the midst of a pack of cars and one of them hit that mattress and spun out of control. Scary thought indeed.

I love the idea of America; I really do. When our nation was established, our founders were quite serious about both freedom, and the responsibilities that freedom demands. Because I believe in both of those virtues, I feel it is encumbant upon each individual to reap the fruit of their own actions. If that person is wise, then rewards await; if they are a fool, then punishment and pain. That's why I am generally opposed to any sort of government or social intervention to "protect me from myself".

When I ride, I have the ethic that says, "whether I return home or not is ultimately MY fault, no one else's." Now, from a legal standpoint, it may be the person who cut me off that is liable for my accident, but from my point of view, I should have been aware of the risks my position relative to that car was exposing me to, and therefore prepared for what could have happened. Sure, pure accidents happen when one goes down in spite of doing everything humanly possible to ride defensively. No argument from me there. But since I see my safe return as being my responsibility, I honor and cherish any and all resources that increase my ability to ride smart!

That's where David Hough comes in. I honor you, David, because you have taught me through your books to ride and think actively, not passively. Your writings, observations, and mindset has had a major effect on my approach to riding. And whenever a friend or a coworker of mine decides to pursue motorcycling, I strongly encourage them to read your books.

I try to ride defensively, but on occasion I have taken my RT above the 100 mph mark. It's not often as that is not a fun bike to ride at those speeds; I'd say about 85mph is where the bike really loves to be thumbsup.gif But to the degree that I am interested in taking responsibility for my safe return home, I appreciate your taking the time to write those books and to share your wisdom on "Proficient Motorcycling". clap.gifclap.gif

beemerman2k

One more thing while I'm thinking about it, at work here in Massachusetts, I listen to KQED public radio streaming over the Internet from San Francisco, CA. It seems that every morning there's an accident involving a motorcycle and this morning that accident was fatal. I often wonder about the rider and the circumstances of the accident, but I do remember David Hough writing, "If you want to stay alive, don't ride in cities". I think the other admonishment was, "if you want to stay alive, don't ride behind trucks!"

There's a lot of room for improvement for increased training and accident awareness and avoidance in the motorcycling community. This is where I wish our industry would take charge; mandate increased training for all riders.

BMW offered to pay for the MSF course were I to take one when I bought my RT back in Summer of 2000. I took the course (Experienced rider course) and thoroughly enjoyed it, too. That small token would go a long way if all manufacturers would offer this class for its customers.

David Hough writing, "If you want to stay alive, don't ride in cities"
What a load of nonsense, what he's saying is that a motorcycle is just a toy, to be used on Sundays but not for real transport.
beemerman2k
What a load of nonsense, what he's saying is that a motorcycle is just a toy, to be used on Sundays but not for real transport.

Well, I'd love for him to chime in here, but let me say this: I do 90% of my riding in cities (Los Angeles, Boston, NYC), so I don't take this advise literally. I think what he's saying is this:

1) your odds of an accident are much higher in cities, so be quite aware of that fact before you decide to ride there. Sometimes I hear riders complain about dealing with cars and I want to say to them, "hey, that's life in the big city! Get yourself a car next time" It seems like we sometimes don't appreciate the fact that some environments are seriously more challenging than others and b*tching about it ain't gonna change anything.

Like I said, every morning on KQED radio a rider goes down and I hear about it on the traffic report.

2) if you do ride in cities, have all hands on deck!

I logged over 60,000 incident-free miles riding in and around Los Angeles on my RT, so obviously I don't take such a warning literally -- but I did have all hands on deck! Man, the things I witnessed. Holy cow.

beemerman2k

Oh yeah, Bob, the BEST riders I have ever witnessed in all my life were the motorcycle couriers in London, England. Several times I watched them in traffic with my jaw hanging open. There were a couple of occasions when I just knew one was going down, only he'd emerge from the traffic unfazed by what appeared to me to be a miraculous recovery from a disastrous situation.

Lineareagle

Is this a hijack? Probably. But it fits in here somewhere.

I love the idea of America; I really do. When our nation was established, our founders were quite serious about both freedom, and the responsibilities that freedom demands. Because I believe in both of those virtues, I feel it is encumbant upon each individual to reap the fruit of their own actions.

The point of a democracy is for the majority to have the freedom to decide to make the rules by which the populace will live. It is not the right to do whatever you want to do.

Am I preaching to the choir here? I hope so.

I have been thinking about this lately so thought I would toss it out here.

OK un hi jack.\ and sorry.

Now if the majority want motorcycles to be limited then I would assume that they would also mandate, trucks, cars, SUV's, boats, water skiis, skidoos, bicycles etc etc.

After all they are all potentially more dangerous at speed and the need for greater skill of the operator increases with speed. So logically, or not.

The point of a democracy is for the majority to have the freedom to decide to make the rules by which the populace will live. It is not the right to do whatever you want to do.
How very Canadian of you grin.gif

That is almost the opposite of the US idea of a constitutional democracy.

Well-punted, Bob. thumbsup.gif That's right, and it's a concept that's clearly outlined in the U.S. Constitution ("The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.") and in numerous cases interpreting the Consitution. A lot of Americans fail to grasp the fact that limited government is the core concept around which the U.S. Constitution is constructed; the concept is under constant assault from both sides of the political spectrum.

Without getting into the issue of democracies vs republics, suffice it to say that in the absence of all rules there is anarchy, which really doesn't work very well.

While I agree that we tend to have too many rules, there is no functional society where everyone is free to do "whatever you want to do."

The foundation of our system is the ability to have a say in what the rules will be, not the ability to be without rules.

John Ranalletta

Without getting into the issue of democracies vs republics, suffice it to say that in the absence of all rules there is anarchy, which really doesn't work very well.

While I agree that we tend to have too many rules, there is no functional society where everyone is free to do "whatever you want to do."

The foundation of our system is the ability to have a say in what the rules will be, not the ability to be without rules.

..but, the sponsors of more laws and regulations always want to regulate how OTHERS behave.

It's all about control; who has it; and the power to exercise it, be it the speed of motorcycles or the environment.

It seems that every morning there's an accident involving a motorcycle

I have two explanations for why we hear this from major metro radio stations.

The first is that it's "news" in that it's not another fender-bender on the 405. In a list of 30 accidents, the one motorcycle rider will get mentioned disproportionately more often. There's a cynical interpretation of this...

The second is that incidents which involve motorcycles tend to be messy. Even without injuries and the need for a medical response, bikes tend to shed parts when they go down and often need to be hauled off the road. Compared to minor auto accidents where the drivers can get themselves off the road, motorcycle accidents take more time to clear so they create bigger traffic jams.

I wish our industry would take charge; mandate increased training for all riders.

We've had this discussion before. There's no money in retailers raising the skill bar before potential customers part with their money.

Change is going to come from the grassroots biker culture (yeah right), government regulations around licensing & registration or the insurance industry reducing premiums as riders improve their skills.

Sure there's a lot of room for increased training and accident awareness all around, but it goes to the question of combining horses and water (or psychologists and burned out light bulbs if you prefer).

Correct quote and suggestions start on page 100 of Proficient Motorcycling. However, I don't claim to know everything. If you have advice to offer to others that you think will help, feel free to do so.

pmdave

Correct quote and suggestions start on page 100 of Proficient Motorcycling. However, I don't claim to know everything. If you have advice to offer to others that you think will help, feel free to do so.

pmdave

So is my interpretation of your statement correct as you meant it? Do you think motorcycles are just toys and not suitable as transportation?

It's not a question of advice, the advice for cities is obvious, be super-aware of your environment, assume nothing, know where your get-out routes are (Super SIPDE in other words). My problem is with the philosophy the statement seems to imply.

hey the day i went into the city to pick up my rt-p i left the dealer and went maybe a mile on the four lane and some dumb (ryhmes with witch)on a harley softtail changes lanes right in front of me so I had to swerve into oncoming traffic to avoid rearending her.believe me she got the finger and some very explict language from me.then not half mile down the road some bozo pulls out right in front of me to the point that i found out just how good the abs works.that was 2 years ago and i have yet to experience anything close to either one,but i have yet to ride it back into the city,the citiots just do not pay attention to bikes.

ShovelStrokeEd

OK, Archie. (Obscure literary reference).

You went into the city and got scared.

Why? You were not prepared for the different dynamic and, no doubt, distracted by the new motorcycle thing.

I do that stuff every day, encounter that stuff every day and never do I have that sort of problem.

This goes directly to training and learning how to "see" on a motorcycle.

I do that stuff every day, encounter that stuff every day and never do I have that sort of problem.

I really like that statement. The more you do something the better you get. This falls back to gaining your riding 'edge' when you don't ride over the winter months. This is basically the same thing.

Me, when I start my new job downtown, ill cage it for a while, til I get used to things, mainly traffic and its patterns, and then take the bike.

My dad always warns me of the risk in riding in rush hour traffic, and though he is RIGHT about it, I'm also extremely used to dealing with it as I ride in it twice, every week day (just going north not south). He on the other hand, doesn't and lives in a much smaller city and works grave yard tongue.gif

On a side note: One kinda good thing about working downtown is the bike will be in a parking garage so when it rains she'll be dry grin.gif

beemerman2k

I want to encourage everyone to share David's books with every motorcyclist who will listen. You may not agree with everything he writes in them, but in the grand scheme of things, are the debatable issues really that critical? For new riders, they would probably be well served to know that riding in the city is no joke. For the seasoned rider, they will learn to rethink certain skills that maybe they haven't entertained in some time.

But particularly for new riders, I think "Proficient Motorcycling" ought to be required reading. Sure, once they learn the ropes, you can talk to them about the portions of the book you may find questionable. But I am certain that the new riders will be far safer motorcyclists because of Hough's book than they would have been without it. If nothing else -- and there would be plenty else -- these riders will learn how to think critically and actively about the art and science of motorcycling. These are skills most of us take for granted now that we've been riding for all these decades and miles, but we cannot forget that many riders do not have this mindset and these skills as evidenced by the accident reports. And at the end of the day, isn't that the most important skill to acquire -- how to think critically about the ride? David Hough's books are my favorite, but I read all manner of material on motorcycle safety, ususally while I'm sitting on the can blush.gif It all makes me a better rider whether I think I agree with the material or not.

"Proficient Motorcycling" is required reading in my book. thumbsup.gif Thanks David!

Oh, one more thing, these books aren't written with the likes of Killer and ShovelStrokeEd in mind. I would guess that David Hough's target audience are riders within their first 5-7 years of riding. I would love for David Hough to comment on this assumption of mine. Bob, you and Ed and many others on this forum would be considered "peers" of David Hough; you all have accumulated a similar body of knowledge and experience over the hundreds of thousands of miles you all have ridden. You all could -- and maybe should quite frankly -- write your own books! So keep in mind David Houghs target audience when reviewing the content of his writings. He's targeting the new riders.

ShovelStrokeEd

I don't mean to devalue David's work. In fact, I have ordered his book and intend to read it with an eye toward improving my riding.

Funny word, intend. The dictionary lists one of its definitions as "To have a design or purpose in mind. Therein lies a rub for far too many riders.

They do treat their bikes as toys. They only ride them on weekends and measure their skills, when they think about them at all, against those of their peers. Not to pick on the cruiser riders but, to many of them, they measure their own skills as riders and those of others by how well they maintain position in the pack and how many arcane hand signals they can learn. The sport bike boyz, in the meantime, are running around trying to outdo each other with stunts and the like. Neither thinks they are bad riders and both groups will deny any need for improvement.

To suggest that they actually sit down and read a book about how to ride would be met with derision by most of them. I don't say you shouldn't try. I have mentored a couple of new riders and try to stress, once we have gotten through the basics of handling a bike, that their eyes and brain are the most important tools they have for survival.

Lineareagle
They only ride them on weekends and measure their skills, when they think about them at all, against those of their peers. Not to pick on the cruiser riders but, to many of them, they measure their own skills as riders and those of others by how well they maintain position in the pack and how many arcane hand signals they can learn. The sport bike boyz, in the meantime, are running around trying to outdo each other with stunts and the like. Neither thinks they are bad riders and both groups will deny any need for improvement.

Absolutely correct. I had a talk with a sport rider about this very thing. Encouraged him to get a couple books and work on skills. He actually did it and a couple weeks later he was effusive about how improved his skill set was and how he was more confident. His comment which really was inspiring was. "I am passing the books along to the other guys, they want to ride like I can now".

Maybe if more of us talked about skills instead of farkles at the coffee shop we would see an improvement in the community. Something to shoot for, for sure.

City riding is always intimidating, but since I have installed my Louisville Slugger in a saddle holster, people seem to stay clear! lmao.giflmao.gif

hey the day i went into the city to pick up my rt-p

Just curious, what city? I get more freaked out in smaller cities than Chicago. You get more people who are used to not needing to look out for anything, much less bikes.

There are skills for riding in "the city" just like there are skills for riding super twisty roads.

I find the city/rural distinction faintly amusing.

(Not directed at previous post, just responding)

All relevant data shows a major increase in fatalities on rural roads.

The risks are inherent with the activity, as much, or more so, than the location of the ride.

Today I rode through 55 miles of pea soup, in the dark, through rural deer country. dopeslap.gif

Wish I'd been in the city. lurker.gif

I read books.

Some of them have to do with riding a motorcycle.

I know I have a lot of room for improvement.

I try to be in survival mode 100% of the time, but I know sometimes I'm not. crazy.gif

I've read some valuable information that I try to apply and I'm grateful the authors (DH included) have taken the time to write.

Good gear, bike maintenance, situational awareness, are part of my ride. My intention is to reduce risk and be better able to respond to changes in my riding environment.

How a rider chooses to prepare for the journey is a personal choice.

Some choose wisely.

Some don't.

Regardless, the karmic wheel spins for all of us.

Larry Grodsky, and many other experienced riders have been in many challenging situations that they were able to ride through.

However, it only takes one time that you don't for it all to end.

To believe we have control over all situations is, IMO, an illusion.

Best wishes.

I would guess that David Hough's target audience are riders within their first 5-7 years of riding.

I just cancelled my order. wave.gif

That's why I am generally opposed to any sort of government or social intervention to "protect me from myself".

It's usually not about protecting you from yourself, but about protecting us from yourself. Some examples:

- speed limits

- registration

- insurance

- social security

- medicare

These are all big brother looking out for us. I'm sure the list could go on. It's a free country with a lot of rules. dopeslap.gif

I would guess that David Hough's target audience are riders within their first 5-7 years of riding.

I would disagree. I think 99% of riders *could* benefit from reading his books. Even if you're "the perfect rider" (whatever that is), there is value from thinking about the problems that he writes about. Whether you agree with his solutions or not is up to you, the discerning (rider) reader.

The extreme beginner (still trying to remember where the brakes are) is probably the only group that couldn't benefit immediately from it.

I think AviP is missing an excellent learning opportunity.

I've been riding for >20 years, on different types of bikes, and I know I got at least something out of each book, even if it may have been the opposite of what the author suggested. The point is that I studied the problem, assessed the risks TO ME, and decided on an action/decision in accordance with MY NEEDS.

PM and More PM give you information, and suggested solutions.

I think Woodie is right. I can't think of a more up to date, easy to digest author of motorcycle street riding technique than Dave's work. I have recommended it to many riders, and given many copies away.

The benefit is clear explanations based on sound principles, and with good illustrations. I have forty such books in my library, and nothing is as good for that purpose. There are better books for high performance riding where you are spending more time "near the edge," but that's not what most riders need.

russell_bynum
I think Woodie is right. I can't think of a more up to date, easy to digest author of motorcycle street riding technique than Dave's work. I have recommended it to many riders, and given many copies away.

The benefit is clear explanations based on sound principles, and with good illustrations. I have forty such books in my library, and nothing is as good for that purpose. There are better books for high performance riding where you are spending more time "near the edge," but that's not what most riders need.

I agree totally.

That's why I am generally opposed to any sort of government or social intervention to "protect me from myself".
It's usually not about protecting you from yourself, but about protecting us from yourself. Some examples: ...

All of history is there to teach us what happens with large amounts of government control. Our Founders strove to undo that that long trend. And that is what James (Beemerman2k) was getting at, and I support that view, too - especially in "modern" times.

In those very examples you cite are levels abuse, malfeasance, and/or corruption we choose to ignore simply because we passed a "noble" law and accept it (regardless of effect). If we continue to prove ourselves unwilling to enforce current laws, why are we so quick to pass more laws?

But back to the 1st point of the thread ... I too have found David's book (I only own the 1st of the 2 smirk.gif) invaluable. It is a great source of information which helps me not only learn about control of my bike, but more importantly, teaches me what to consider and focus on when riding. Perfect for me as a rentry rider ... Great stuff to broaden one's experience more quickly. thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Leetle, tiny, minuscule nit pick.

You broaden your Knowledge by reading, you broaden your Experience by riding. They ain't the same thing.

In my case in particular, all the reading in the world isn't going to help me one whit until I go out and try the principles for myself. Even then, it may take me some time to "get it".

Re: Reading vs riding=Knowledge vs experience.

Different strokes for different folks, Ed. I just couldn't resist!

Dave

You broaden your Knowledge by reading, you broaden your Experience by riding. They ain't the same thing.

You are correct! I usually write too much, but not there. What I was thinking was, "Great stuff WITH WHICH to broaden ...

Yeah, yeah! That's the ticket! wink.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

No problemo. I know I am not alone in this.

When it comes to learning new stuff, for me, all the reading in the world just isn't going to put it into my skill set. I have to get out there and place it into my experience set, if only, don't do that!!

Take, for instance, lunch today. I'm up in Madison, WI for a couple of days and my client wanted an Italian restaurant. OK, no problem. We get there and the menu is wonderful. What came out was billed as veal parmigiana, in actuality, it was a veal burger, smothered in ketchup with a little melted Mozzarella cheese on top. My dog would have sniffed it, turned his back on it and relieved himself on it, if I had a dog. I was tempted to do likewise but there was a lady present.

I'm up in Madison, WI for a couple of days

HIJACK

Hey Ed - head on over to New Glarus and bring home a select few cold ones to your Florida Bretheren, wouldjya? Some Spotted Cow would be great! At the very least, go get some for yourself - it's truly worth it. smirk.gif

/HIJACK

beemerman2k
What came out was billed as veal parmigiana, in actuality, it was a veal burger, smothered in ketchup with a little melted Mozzarella cheese on top. My dog would have sniffed it, turned his back on it and relieved himself on it, if I had a dog. I was tempted to do likewise but there was a lady present.

Ed, that's a great example of the difference between "knowledge" and "experience". I would love to read your book on motorcycling. I am sure it would be a runaway best seller -- judging by the quality of your posts on this forum thumbsup.gif

I was over 20 years into my motorcycling life by the time I discovered David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling", yet I found the book too compelling to put down. I read it cover to cover, and I studied and contemplated the lessons presented both while sitting on the "can" blush.gif (knowledge) and while riding down the road (experience). So, while I assume the book is for riders who are rather early in their riding lives, that isn't to suggest that only novices will benefit from these books. I fully agree those who have pointed out that all riders will greatly benefit from the material presented in these books.

I hope David Hough makes this web forum his home on the 'net. David, I look forward to reading more of your inputs -- even if it means that you and I end up on opposite sides of the debating table! Our politics may differ, but our passion for motorcycling does not.

I hope David Hough makes this web forum his home on the 'net. David, I look forward to reading more of your inputs -- even if it means that you and I end up on opposite sides of the debating table!
Given that he hasn't even answered or commented on the question I asked what would be the point of him making his home here?

"So is my interpretation of your statement correct as you meant it? Do you think motorcycles are just toys and not suitable as transportation?"

I don't want to be argumentative, I'm not 'playing' with you because you're famous (I couldn't care less), I'm just interested in the philosophy of somebody who has such a well known and respected name in our environment.

I hope David Hough makes this web forum his home on the 'net. David, I look forward to reading more of your inputs -- even if it means that you and I end up on opposite sides of the debating table!
Given that he hasn't even answered or commented on the question I asked what would be the point of him making his home here?

"So is my interpretation of your statement correct as you meant it? Do you think motorcycles are just toys and not suitable as transportation?"

I don't want to be argumentative, I'm not 'playing' with you because you're famous (I couldn't care less), I'm just interested in the philosophy of somebody who has such a well known and respected name in our environment.

Bob, the answer to your question is already covered in my books. I assume you've read them. Therefore it's redundant to write the same words again here.

So, to be redundant, I'm VERY serious about riding skills. I believe one of the problems in motorcycling that is leading to a significant rise in fatalities nationwide, is that too many motorcyclists treat riding as a lark. I've sometimes compared successful riding to flying a helicopter. I'll get nasty responses from helicopter pilots who feel motorcycling is much less demanding than flying. And that's true of the operational skills. However, add the skills required to negotiate traffic, curves, surface hazards, wild animals, etc. on the ground, and I believe that SUCCESSFUL motorcycling requires a very serious attitude, knowledge about both the vehicle and the situation, proficient control skills, and good habits.

In reference to "don't ride in cities" that's a bit tongue-in-cheek. If we're talking London or Roma for an American motorcyclist, I'd still suggest not riding into the city. But obviously most of us are going to ride into (or through) cities. So, as I've noted in the book, we need to get serious about riding in urban traffic.

over...

pmdave

In reference to "don't ride in cities" that's a bit tongue-in-cheek. If we're talking London or Roma for an American motorcyclist, I'd still suggest not riding into the city. But obviously most of us are going to ride into (or through) cities.

over...

pmdave

Thank you, that answers my question.

I would agree about riding in busy foreign cities unless you have a LOT of experience in the major cities here, even then I wouldn't recommend riding in London, adding the fact that they drive on the correct side of the road just makes it too difficult. I've driven (not ridden) in Rome, wow, what a crazy place, the drivers have great skills but unless you are playing the game by the same rules as them it's really hairy. The only place worse that I've been would be Taiwan, I didn't drive there but it was a whole new game. At least the car drivers there really seem to watch carefully for the scooter riders, probably because they know so many people that ride them full time. Riding in South America was an eye opening experience but the only major cities I was in were Santiago, Chile and Mendoza, Argentina and then not for long.

I don't want anyone to think I'm being antisocial, but I'm about to tackle a rewrite of the book Proficient Motorcycling, and that's going to demand my full attention for a while.

pmdave

I don't want anyone to think I'm being antisocial, but I'm about to tackle a rewrite of the book Proficient Motorcycling, and that's going to demand my full attention for a while.

pmdave

If you need any tips, just ask lmao.giflmao.gif

Andy

bakerzdosen

pmdave

Nah, such is the life of the rich and famous. We understand. lmao.gif

Good luck. I for one have liked seeing your posts around here for the past few months. wave.gif

I would agree about riding in busy foreign cities unless you have a LOT of experience in the major cities here, even then I wouldn't recommend riding in London, adding the fact that they drive on the correct side of the road just makes it too difficult.

Let's see ...

In England (Japan, Australia, etc):

Left = Correct crazy.gif

In US, Canada, etc:

Right = Right thumbsup.gif

While I question your definition of "correct", you are indeed correct, that such a translation on the fly is difficult - if not dangerous - to someone at least. I have driven in dozens of nations, including England and others that drive on the LEFT side. Driving on the LEFT side seems an easy proposition until you're in downtown London - a town originally designed for walking or riding a horse! The most difficult issue is finding the warnings and One-way signs. They're in all the "wrong" places! wink.gif

Having driven in London on several occasions, I can't picture myself riding a bike there (which I feel certain is a relief to all pedestrians over there!).

Would love to go back though!

pmdave

There you go again, using words like think, and full attention .

You should know by now we can't do either very well.

Or, for very long.

grin.gif

wave.gif

Couchrocket

I'd like to thank Dave for the books! I take them out for a reread each year.

Yup... me too. And if I owned a dealership a copy would go out the door "free" to each and every person who bought a bike from me. If I could count the times that "watch for situations that contain multiple hazards" makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up as I approach multiple turning movements, driveways, etc. and make me keep head on a swivel and not "assume" that everyone is going to do what they should "out there"... well, I'd be rich, but better than that, I'm still alive so far -- thanks in large part to Mr. Hough!

And, when I lived in the land of the great horned rats, learning to late apex and maximize my sight lines has saved my buttocks from said rats, rocks, sand, crud, crap, and corruption more times than I can count... literally.

David... THANKS! A lot of us talk, not many of us take the trouble to do all the work required to put out a quality book with the great illustrations, photos, etc. that you do. And for your trouble I hope you make a gazillion dollars in the process of saving lots of lives. thumbsup.gif

,,,if I owned a dealership a copy would go out the door "free" to each and every person who bought a bike from me.

I've got 4 adult kids...the ones who have wanted to take up motorcyle riding have promptly received gifts of Proficient Motorcycling.

Archived