IGNORED

poll type question about boxer engine and frequency of clutch replacement

majordad

I took a pretty good trip this weekend travelling over 720 miles. Virtually all of it was interstate travelling with about 30 miles being city (stop and go). While coming back I got to thinking what the average interval mileage has been for those here needing to change their clutch. I have 23k miles on my 2005 RT. All things being equal....around what mileage might I sense clutch problems? I understand driving habits, maintenance, etc. effect wear of the clutch and that mileage isn't the determinate for clutch replacement like a timing belt or oil change would be but wondered when those here are having to change their clutch.

If your technique is good (modest acceleration until full engagement), and baring no other issues, it should last way over 100k.

Paul Mihalka

Most clutches die for other reasons than normal friction surface wear. Clutch splines, gearbox input shaft seal, engine crankshaft seal, after '02 hydraulic clutch slave cylinder failure, all can kill the clutch. The only really worn out clutches I heard of were in police bikes.

Mine was still working fine when it was changed at 96,000 together with the transmission, which wasn't working so fine. Unfortunately they didn't keep the parts for me to see so I don't know how worn it was.

Stan Walker

I measured my '02's clutch when I did a spline lube at 69,000 miles. It was about 1/3 gone. I put it all back and I will check it again at 150,000 when I do my next spline lube.

New clutch thickness is 0.257"

My clutch thickness was 0.235"

Wear limit for 02 RT is 0.189"

Usable material on new. 0.068"

Remaining usable clutch 0.046"

I am pretty easy on my clutch. And on my bike. About 50% of my mileage is from trips, the rest from comuting in Los Angeles traffic.

Stan

I am easy on my clutch too.....because I am getting old and know that these things are expensive to fix. Is spline lubing for advanced mechanicing/the dealer?

Stan Walker

Is spline lubing for advanced mechanicing/the dealer?

It'z time consuming, but doesn't require any fancy tools or skills. The few special tools that are needed can be made for a few dollars.

I wouldn't worry about it a lot at your mileage unless there is some sort of a problem.

Stan

DavidEBSmith

And for those who have 1100s with the clutch cable, maintain proper clutch freeplay. There were some premature clutch failures in the early models that were attributed to insufficient freeplay. (And the 1996 models with the bad seals that leaked oil onto the clutch plates). The early failures created something of a bad reputation for clutch life that seemed to go away when the clutch lever freeplay specification was increased.

But you don't have to worry about that with your 2005.

Stan Walker

The early failures created something of a bad reputation for clutch life

Some of the short life was real, BMW changed the design in '97 to extend the life. Still, even with the original design 100,000 miles was possible. When I did the spline lube on Jan's '96 RT at 71,000 I found that the clutch was about 2/3's worn out. I replaced it to avoid opening it up again prior to it's next spline lube.

Stan

Archived