IGNORED

getting more volume to autocom speakers

brennaman

I was wanting to know what some of you have done to get more volume into autocom helmet speakers. I currently take my GPS, Valentine 1, and Mp3 player's outputs and put them into a mix-it 2 amp. I then take that output and put it into the autocom. I want to stick with the autocom helmet speakers, mainly becouse I like having only 1 connector going up to the helmet. I know that I could buy the connector for in ear speakers, but then I would have 2 wires to the helmet, 1 for the speakers, and 1 for the mic. By the way, I wear earplugs. I know if I were to take them out, with the mix-it there would be pleny of volume, but I prefer the earplugs. I know I am limiting my options wearing earplugs, and wanting to stay with the stock autocom speakers/mic setup, but if anyone else wears earplugs, and use the autocom speakers, I would like to hear what they do to get more volume. Thanks

I have a pro-m1, and a pro-7-sport. They both have about the same output to the speakers. What I will probably do is buy a headset extension lead, cut it, take the audio and put it into the mix-it, then back up to my helmet. Unless someone has found a better way to get more volume.

markgoodrich

Try this: http://tinyurl.com/bd7hj. It's a little tiny amp that you can plug directly into your Autocom. Has a volume control on a long wire, so you can put the unit out of the weather and mount the control knob wherever you like. It's NOT going to add sound quality (who cares, you're inside a helmet, not at home in the living room...unless, like me you use custom earphones, in which case you bought the unit to improve stinky Autocom sound). I think it's about $65 shipped from Canada, by the guy who makes it.

I had one on my FJR. The earphone sound wasn't improved, but I WAS able to improve volume. My new one should arrive today or Monday.

The two wires, by the way, are not a hassle for me or my wife.

I tried a number of earphones, by the way. Aside from the standards such as Etymotic ER6, the Etymotic ER4 is superior sounding, but has a hard bit that sticks out of the ear. I am a fathead, and couldn't use them under a helmet...my wife still does use hers. I tried a couple of customs, and settled on Westone's motorsport-specific model (I forget the number). They retail for about $300, but two calls to local dealers got them for $200, including molds. I've a significant hearing deficit in one ear, and am religious about hearing protection on the bike...I'm trading the potential loss of safety due to being unable to hear traffic dangers for hearing protection...and great sound.

More than you wanted to know....

Unfortunately, the Autocom is simply a pass thru. I disconnected the power one day to it, and the volume was unaffected - the only function the Autocom does for me when powered up is switching to phone input when the phone autoanswers. For the outrageous price, it really does not do much other than act as a simple switch. If the future Zumo II supports BT XM even in mono, I will be tossing Autocom in the trash.

You need an external amplifier to get any more volume - some good ones have already been mentioned. Fortunately my 376C provides plenty of volume for GPS and XM.

I have the Pro-M1 also. I suggest you first try repositioning the helmet speakers, because that will have a huge affect on the volume level and the sound quality.

With the Autocom volume switch in the high setting, I get enough volume to use with earplugs without any additional amplification before or after the Autocom. When using my little armband/beltclip size FM radio, I don't even turn the radio's volume all the way up. I do max out the volume on my MP3 player, but don't need any additional amplification to sound good. At first, I did try a Boosteroo amp between the MP3 player and the Autocom, but didn't need it.

Dave

Unfortunately, the Autocom is simply a pass thru. I disconnected the power one day to it, and the volume was unaffected - the only function the Autocom does for me when powered up is switching to phone input when the phone autoanswers. For the outrageous price, it really does not do much other than act as a simple switch. If the future Zumo II supports BT XM even in mono, I will be tossing Autocom in the trash.

Which model? My Pro-M1 doesn't have any passthrough input.

Dave

John Bentall
With the Autocom volume switch in the high setting

What volume switch?

I think he means this special plug- called a switch by Autocom. But I thought it only worked on speech rather than other inputs.

"The Pro-M1 has a HIGH/LOW Speech socket An optional handlebar remote high/low speech switch is available

from your stockist (Part 164) use this to boost the speech volume about 20% for use with earplugs. A shorted

3.5mm stereo or mono plug, plugged into this socket will increase speech volume by about 20%. You need to hold

the VOX open by making a continuous tone and then plug/unplug the high/low jack to actually hear this difference"

Another solutions would be to have continuous noise filters inserted in the earplugs, so that they do not cut out so much sound.

With the Autocom volume switch in the high setting

What volume switch?

I think he means this special plug- called a switch by Autocom. But I thought it only worked on speech rather than other inputs.

Yes, that's it. My Pro-M1 has a small remotely mountable high/low toggle switch. I mounted the switch under the seat and only touch it on the rare occasion that I'm going to ride without earplugs. I forgot it was an optional accessory.

Dave

Archived