IGNORED

sidestand/centerstand maintenance question

SAMSAR

Anyone know where I can find detailed procedures on sidestand maintenance??? I couldn't find anything in my searches and the Haynes manual isn't giving me enough detail on how to get the bushing out to grease it.

While I'm at it, I'd also be interested in any instructions on the centerstand too.

Thanks,

Paul

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for or not, but I was able to locate a good diagram here.

Entering the last 7 digits of the VIN brought me right to my make / model bike and avoided any of the guess work.

Once you see your bike's information, select "Browse Parts", look under "Frame / Fairing" and then "Centerstand", that should bring you to the diagram.

Stan Walker

Anyone know where I can find detailed procedures on sidestand maintenance???

Side stand: There is a grease port (small hole in side stand). Use a grease gun with a pointed tip.

Center stand: I just lay a small bead of oil around the point where the outer rotating part meets the inner not rotating part on both sides. Let it soak in for a day or two then wipe any excess off. I do this every 6000 mile service. So far, so good.

Stan

I took the center stand apart on my RT and found 3 out of 6 o-rings damaged and a lot of grim on the pivot points. Cleaned it all, replaced all 6 o-rings and now it returns without the aid of my big boot clap.gif

IMHO, it's a case of disassemble, clean, and pack with grease.
thumbsup.gifDitto that advice. Worked like a charm on my '03 RT. Side stand now pops up like a charm even below freezing.
Anyone know where I can find detailed procedures on sidestand maintenance???

Side stand: There is a grease port (small hole in side stand). Use a grease gun with a pointed tip.

Stan

Thanks Stan for the idea. I went and bought a pointed tip for the grease gun but I guess I couldn't get a good enough seal because the grease just came back out of the hole rather than from around the bushing. Thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you also to everyone else... The side stand is now broken down to component parts except that in the Haynes manual it looks like the bushing has been removed and is greased by hand. Can someone tell me the trick to removing the bushing?

Also, does the side stand kill switch part need to be broken down further and greased.

Thanks

Stan Walker

I guess I couldn't get a good enough seal because the grease just came back out of the hole rather than from around the bushing. Thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

My guess is some crud plugging up the hole. Maybe blow it out with compressed air or run a wire through it.

Can someone tell me the trick to removing the bushing?

Why remove it at all, just grease up the parts that rotate.

does the side stand kill switch part need to be broken down further and greased

No, just check that it works OK.

Stan

Eckhard Grohe

My take on this is that the bushing is supposed to be clamped in the fork of the side stand and rotate with the side stand thereby increasing the bearing surface.

You have to get a hook behind it and pull it out. Be sure to brace the bike as it may want to tip if you pull really hard.

On my bike they was a small hole in the stationary part of the side stand that should allow grease in but it was crudded up and I couldn't find it until I had it all disassembled.

Archived