IGNORED

Software update - a double-edged sword?

JayW

I took my RT in at 19k miles for a routine valve adjustment and the brake recall work. In addition to these things, the service department installed updated software in my computer at no additional charge. Up until then, it had the version the bike came with in July of '05 and I have never asked for any updates since I have had no problems. I was told that the new version had a lot of modifications and changes.

From my perspective, I have noticed that the BC oil level check operates a little differently (which doesn't bother me), but now the ambient temperature reads 10-11 degrees too high. It was actually pretty accurate before, so I never bothered to have them move the sensor as many have done.

Can the computer or temp guage be calibrated to improve its accuracy, or I am just going to have to accept this as a cost of the software "upgrade"? Do you think the upgrade did anything beneficial that I have not yet appreciated?

Jay

Can the computer or temp guage be calibrated to improve its accuracy, or I am just going to have to accept this as a cost of the software "upgrade"? Do you think the upgrade did anything beneficial that I have not yet appreciated?

In my experience, the temp guage was much more accurate after the S/W update than before. I had moved the sensor to the front location prior to the upgrade and the error factor was still as you mention. After the update, temp guage is correct.

As for other features contained in the update.... It depends on the number of controllers that were flashed during the process. The dealer should have printed out the "measures plan" which documents the controllers that were updated.

I'm getting too deep here!! Ride and enjoy.

I have an R1200RT due in two and half weeks. I just asked the shop if they do computer updates as a part of the new bike prep. The answer was "no," and then became a bit protracted, albeit necessarily. Apparently, Beemer doesn't pay the updates on warranty unless there is a specific issue, or problem, that one of the new updates can address. Then, because the update is all inclusive, and not problem specific, there is no guaranty that something that is presently working correctly might not start working incorrectly.

Bottom line, if it ain't busted, don't fix it. Hopefully, my new bike is far enough down the cyber line that most of the glitches are already corrected. Time will tell.

Gary

Yes, in retrospect I wonder if I should have told them to be sure and not update the software since all seemed to be working so well. With PC software I have learned that if a program is working well and does what I need it to, then getting the "new" version more often than not leads to frustration and problems to figure out.

Still, maybe my RT is now more fuel-efficient, has subtle improvements I cannot sense yet, or is somehow more stable electronically. I just don't know.

Jay

In addition to these things, the service department installed updated software in my computer at no additional charge....

From my perspective, I have noticed that the BC oil level check operates a little differently (which doesn't bother me), but now the ambient temperature reads 10-11 degrees too high. It was actually pretty accurate before, so I never bothered to have them move the sensor as many have done.

I'd just have them move the sensor - the dealer did this on my 05 under warranty a few weeks ago.

834465-recall.gif

834465-recall.gif.5bb3fda3c083efae02161a747649efd8.gif

I'd just have them move the sensor - the dealer did this on my 05 under warranty a few weeks ago.

Did it work? Mine was accurate before the software update, and moving the sensor is not going to restore the previous calibration. Could it really 10 degrees hotter up under that rear fender? Maybe so at a stop in hot weather, but I doubt it at speed. Still, it is probably worth trying as a next step.

Jay

Bill Dennes

I have experience with this on an R1150 RT, as I searched for a place to mount my external temperature pickup.

Yes, it IS ten degrees (or more) warmer under the seat/tailpiece.

I wound up attaching my sensor to the top rear of a fork slider, in the shade of the front fender. This keeps engine heat and sunshine away from the thing.

Archived