IGNORED

Spares/Tools for a Mechanically-Impaired Hexhead Rider

Mike

In reading the 33 Touring Tips thread, I started thinking about putting together a modest tool and parts kit for touring on my R1200ST. I'm not much of a mechanic--I get the basic concept behind internal combustion engines, but that's about it. blush.gif

I've made some minor additions my toolkit and I carry some minor spares, but I really could use some help in putting together a kit. Knowing that I'm pretty much hopeless when it comes to things mechanical, my thinking is that the kit would consist of three categories of stuff:

-Spares for items that even a numbskull could replace;

-A limited number of spares for items that are the most common points of failure, would not likely be available at NAPA on a Sunday afternoon, and which someone with a bit more savvy could help me with for an appropriate bribe (say, dinner at a fine BBQ establishment); and

-The extra tools I'd need to do the basic stuff.

What would you suggest?

Here is what I currently carry:

- BMW tool roll (the old fashioned useful kind).

- Spare head light, tail light, turn signal bulbs.

- Spare fasteners; A few of the most common size screws/bolts/nuts/clips on the bike, spares for ones that I've found by experience to loosen (e.g. exhaust header nuts).

- A spare fuel filter.

- Fuses.

- Some 14 AWG electrical wire.

- Tire repair kit with inflators.

- Tire pressure gauge.

- Small first aid kit.

- Electrical tape.

- Small knife.

- Hand towel.

- A pair of disposable latex gloves.

This is all that will fit in the tail of my K1100RS, which also holds my Autocom. If I had more room, I think I would also like to carry some vise grip pliers, wire cutters, a small socket set, a small multimeter, and some spare plugs.

If I didn't have the old BMW tool roll, I'd buy a generic prepackaged kit from Rider Warehouse or something like that and augment it with any necessary bike specific tools such as plug sockets.

Dave

Mike, I realize that you ride an ST but you might check out the R1200GS info site here as he has a comprehensive list of needed tools and tools that he carries on the road.

I have to believe that most of the tools are the very same, but the list should give you some good ideas and direction.

I forgot to mention I also carry a small tube of JB weld and cable ties. I probably should also carry a length of fuel line, as I've had fuel lines crack & leak on other bikes.

Dave

Jim VonBaden

Here is something I posted before, the bolded and astericks are the minimum kit.

Some have asked for a complete list of my tools in the kit I have displayed online a few times, so here it is

condensed-kit-displayed-ope.jpg

This is the bare minimum kit you should have. It is marked by asterisks on the list!

condensed-kit-displayed.jpg

Here it is in the pouches.

condensed-kit.jpg

This is what it looks like rolled up.

Complete-tool-set.jpg

Here is what I carry, it represents everything on my list. I have some tools not specific to the R1200GS so that I can help anyone else if they need it.

Tools-in-Jesses.jpg

And here it is in my Jesse bag. As you can see it takes up about 1/3rd of the bag, and fits in nicely!

Here is the complete list of the tools I carry!

Tool list for the R1200GS

Full Kit:

§ Vice Grips 8”

§ 4-way combination screwdriver *

§ 3” needle nose pliers *

§ 3” side cutters *

§ 10mm combination wrench

§ 13mm combination wrench

§ 2 tire spoons 9”

§ Set of metric feeler gauges

§ .006” (.152mm) and .012” (.305mm) feeler gauges *

§ Locking knife with 4” serrated blade

§ Flashlight (extra batteries)

§ Motolight lens removal tool

§ 8*, 9, 10*, 11*, 12*, 13*, 14, 15, 16, 17mm open end wrench set

§ Torx wrench set T8, 10, 15, 20*, 25*, 27*, 30*, 40*, 45*, 50*, 55* socket set

§ Allen wrench set 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, 10mm, sockets, StandardAllen wrenches 2.5mm, 3mm*, 4mm*, 5mm*, 6mm*, 8mm*, 10mm

§ 3/8” drive ratchet *

§ ¼” ratchet *

§ Extensions 3/8” 3” and 6” *, ¼” 2.5” and 6” extensions

§ Sockets 7mm, 8mm, 10mm, 10mm deep, 13mm, 14mm, 17mm, spark plug socket *, 22mm front wheel socket/Allen *

§ Dental Pic set

§ Spark Plug gap tool

§ Oil filter wrench

§ Tire pressure gauge *

§ Spark plug wire remover

§ Leatherman

§ Tire plug kit (string) *

§ Compressor *

§ Extending mirror

§ Small standard screwdriver

§ Oil Cap tool *

Supplies:

§ Spare fuel hose clamps

§ Spare fuel hose splice

§ Assorted nuts and bolts

§ Assorted wire and connectors

§ Digital volt/ohm meter

§ Zip ties assorted

§ Electrical wire assorted sizes and lengths

§ Fuses

§ Lighter

§ Electrical tape

§ Stainless safety wire

§ Duct tape

* Indicates minimum tools for small kit

Jim cool.gif

Thanks, everyone. This gives me a lot to work from.

In terms of spare parts , apart from bulbs (which are easy), fuel hoses/clamps, are there any other spares you'd consider taking? Alternator belt, fuel filter (already mentioned once), etc.?

JEEEZ...Overkill?

Sounds like you would be better off with a cell phone plan that has national coverage and plastic cards with plenty o credit... Alternatively, you can travel with a computer so that you can log on to this website and ask for someone to help you are "stranded" somewhere.

I carry basic tools for tire repair and tightening loose screw, nuts& bolts on the bike... an air pump. and spare bulbs. Granted there is certainly something to be said for "being prepared". However the way i see it the odds of a mechanical failure that I CAN repair are pretty slim.

I think what you carry depends on your ability to use it, so it will vary from rider to rider. Since my greatest mechanical accomplishment was changing the oil & filter, I don't carry much. I do have a tire plugging kit, air pump (use it all the time, as it's a lot cleaner than the greasy ones at gas stations), a series of Torx T-handles to tighten fasteners, spare bulbs, and replacement oil sight glass.

The other life-savers for me are the BMW MOA Anonymous book, and my BMW Roadside Assistance card. Used Roadside Assistance once for a flat, and it worked like a charm, although I was only on the edge of town. I also have all US/Canadian BMW bike dealers loaded as waypoints on my GPS for the areas in which I'll be travelling.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Thanks, everyone. This gives me a lot to work from.

In terms of spare parts , apart from bulbs (which are easy), fuel hoses/clamps, are there any other spares you'd consider taking? Alternator belt, fuel filter (already mentioned once), etc.?

If you typically tour alone, I guess there's not much point in carrying spares that you aren't able to install. But if you expect to be around other mechanically inclined folks (as at an UnRally), they still might come in handy.

I'd add the main throttle cable to that list. Some people throw their used cable (and alt belt) into their spares kit, but I keep a new one as a spare; if I swap it out by the side of the road, I don't want to swap it out again when I get home.

Jim VonBaden
Geez Jim, where do you put you? wink.gif

Fortunately I have not needed them for my 12GS, but several friends are sure glad I have them with me! grin.gif

Jim cool.gif

What would you suggest?

A copy of that BMW Manifesto. Read it, believe it, the glow that emits from your new found ego will signal others you need help.

wave.gif

What he said.

I think what you carry depends on your ability to use it, so it will vary from rider to rider. Since my greatest mechanical accomplishment was changing the oil & filter, I don't carry much. I do have a tire plugging kit, air pump (use it all the time, as it's a lot cleaner than the greasy ones at gas stations), a series of Torx T-handles to tighten fasteners, spare bulbs, and replacement oil sight glass.

The other life-savers for me are the BMW MOA Anonymous book, and my BMW Roadside Assistance card. Used Roadside Assistance once for a flat, and it worked like a charm, although I was only on the edge of town. I also have all US/Canadian BMW bike dealers loaded as waypoints on my GPS for the areas in which I'll be travelling.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Archived