IGNORED

Dry splines on R1200RT

Lawman

I recently changed my final drive gear oil but did not have any proper grease to grease the splines at that time..I just finished changing the final drive gear oil for a second time and greased the splines with the Moly 60..The splines were very very dry and I'm glad I did it but that causes me to be concerned for the other splines..Is my concern warranted?

Firefight911

Shouldn't you be planting those wildflower seed I saw you buy???????

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Don't worry about the splines, worry about too much water on your new seedlings!! thumbsup.gif

wave.gifwave.gif

I think it's kind of hard to say for sure. Certainly premature spline failure has been an issue on the 1100/1150 models (although that was the clutch/transmission input splines, not the driveshaft/final drive) but it's not clear that lack of lubrication was the cause of these failures as there are countless tales of people pulling their bikes apart to find bone-dry splines but no wear or damage at all. Could well be that the oilhead spline problem is actually more related to the alignment issues that have been discussed than a lack of lubrication.

That said, I have to believe that some lubrication is better than none.

Shouldn't you be planting those wildflower seed I saw you buy???????

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Don't worry about the splines, worry about too much water on your new seedlings!! thumbsup.gif

wave.gifwave.gif

Phil,

I think you are right..Actually I think I'd be better served to never even change the oil again much less grease a spline..The way I figure it, the chances of me wearing anything out before I crash it are pretty friggin remote.... lmao.gif

The other thing on the FD to drive shaft spline set on hexheads, unlike the oilheads, there is not a continuous lateral movement at the spline as the suspension moves up and down. The geometry is such.

So in a nutshell, don't worry about it. Ride, enjoy.

Archived