IGNORED

R1200RT tupperware removal instructions

JHP

I'm sure it's been posted before, but where can I read about how to remove (and replace) the panels safely without removing the wrong fasteners?

Remove the seats.

Remove the tankbag base. 4 'long' screws

Remove the left or right upper side panel. 2 screws in front inside, one under the instrument panel, one under the aux power, (the uppper of the 2 there I think...)

Remove left or right lower side panel. 2 'long and large hex' screw near front cyclinder head, 3 above the foot rest mounting bracket, left side has a 'twist and remove' plastic fastner at the front under the instrument panel, one screw near the tank bag bracket at front, and another 2 at the back side of the gas tank. All pretty obvious.

There are only 8 'long' screws, 4 for the tank bag bracket and 2 on either side for the lower side panels. These four are a larger torx size.

The only thing to be careful of is when replaceing the upper side panels they must be positioned with the front 'curve' in place first, then the rear portion is manuvered into place.

Oh, I almost forgot, the right lower side panel requires you to remove the glove box cover. Unlatch the cover and remove the 2 'unique' screws for the hinges, being careful not to drop them 'into' the body work...don't ask. Also there are 3 (?) more screws surrounding the glove box to remove for the lower side panel. All pretty obvious.

Take your time and see how it come apart, pretty clever actually, and after just installing a SAE connector for my friends heated vest on his new Suzuki Boulevard C90, believe me the fit and finish is awsome on the BMW in comparison.

Jim

CoarsegoldKid

Those unique glovebox screws are two different lengths. Short one is rearward.

The long screws mentioned above require a size up on the Torx compared to the rest.

It's a simple job, just lots of screws.

Also, if you have a radio/CD installed, you have to disconnect the "panel" connectors on the left side after the upper panel is removed. You also have to disconnect the aux power connector on that same panel in order to completely remove the panel. I find them very difficult to disconnect, possibly because I have very large hands. You have to squeeze the "latch hook" on each side of the connector and pull at the same time.

Take your time and see how it come apart, pretty clever actually, and after just installing a SAE connector for my friends heated vest on his new Suzuki Boulevard C90, believe me the fit and finish is awsome on the BMW in comparison.
I found this observation interesting. It agrees with my perception and is one of the reasons I haven't bought anything except BMW's for 30 odd years (although I don't change motorcycles or cars very often so that is not a lot of purchases). However, my views are based on my experience with Volkswagon (4 wheel), Honda (2 wheel), Chevy and Plymouth many many years ago and I have occasionally wondered if it was still true.

Archived