IGNORED

Need another excuse to become ham?

WestTX RT

Technical reasons are exactly why we need a licensing requirement for Morse code! We need to keep at least a small percentage of operators that can work and pass on Morse code skills. That is exactly what the privelidges afforded to those who earned the right to operate in the reserved portions were for. If you worked to improve your skills you were rewarded with bandwidth not open to those who had not earned it. Look at our society today, everyone wants the quick and easy way to the top. They then find out it isn't very satsfying if too easy.

As for a use in the coming years...how about iambic buttons built in to a cell phone for text messaging? Morse code and text messaging would be a natural together! wink.gif

On my first real job (about 44 years ago), I had to learn to use 9 place log tables to compute survey traverses. Would you argue that everyone should learn to use log tables before they are allowed to use a spreadsheet? I would love to have a Kurta calculator today, but I realize it is of historical value only.

realshelby

I never said everyone had to learn Morse Code! I do believe it still has a place in emergency communications, I do not believe it is history just yet. Its simplicity in transmitting equipment, recieving equipment, and ledgibility in adverse conditions are not yet matched by newer technologies. Yes, computer programs can pull out signals the ear can't hear. But what happens in a national emergency when there is no power, no cell or landlines? I can be "on the air" in a few minutes with any 12 volt battery, solar panel array, etc and be available for days with limited resources. Phone (voice) communications can be set up with limited power and equipment also, but CW is still the most simple, least likely to fail communications for emergency use.

I used to carry a grade rod, lock level around to check grades on constructions sites. Setting up a transit took time and all of these tools had a degree of error. Today a laser level sets up almost automatically, little chance of error, and even a beginner can get usefull info right away. Should we eliminate using mechanical levels and transits? Who cares? Within a few hours one could learn enough about it to use them if the need ever came about. CW is different, it takes a lot of effort to learn to use it. Without an incentive to invite and reward CW operators it will likely be history simply because the operators will die off. Let everyone have all the phone bandwith they need. Letting operators on HF without code requirements is fine. But what was wrong with having a license class/bandwith for proven CW operators? Doesn't make them better operators, there are many non-CW operators more of a "Ham" than I. I have obviously already lost this argument, but I do feel this society tends to make things too easy when a little resistance is voiced! tongue.gif

steveknapp

Without an incentive to invite and reward CW operators it will likely be history simply because the operators will die off

I'm not so sure I believe that. QRP gear is mostly CW. I think for a lot of the reasons you state, CW will remain a fun/active part of the hobby.

Where it was once the primary mode, now it's one of many.

I like the idea of the new Yaesu. It is a good thing that someone has finally addressed the motorcycle mobile from the amateur standpoint. I have encouraged several friends to become hams just because of motorcycle communications. We use this system all the time while riding. Usually operate .52 just in case we can make other contacts.

Our setups include Motocomm mic/headset using Yaesu VX-2R HT. I have also added a 40W amp to system just in case of cell phone failure. All systems of course are wired. All of us have built chargers for the radios. Good learning experience for the new hams. Normal operation is low power only .5W for bike to bike (good for a little over a mile). We use PTT as I have yet to find a good VOX that will work over 30mph. Guess they just don't like wind, eh.

Learned my CW the hard way, U.S. Army.

Potentially eliminates autocom:

0813op.jpg

Damn. Had to be a "y" radio. I wore I would never buy another one after a bad experience with an 8100 ..but now..geeeeze..

confused.gif

My concern with these rigs is water damage

Back to this post from a while back.

The new QST has an ad w/ even more info. Apparently there are two models of this radio, the FTM-10R and the 10RS. The RS is the "compact" version. Dimensions are 5.2"x1.1"x3.3". The body is to IP57 waterproof standards, it looks like they both use the same head unit (also IP57). It's 10w on 2m and 7 on 440. Universal has it listed, but no price.

That's kind of a dilemma, I think I'd rather try and figure out how to protect the base (probably in the tail) and have more power.

Some of the new features listed they haven’t shown before.

• Wireless cloning

• Tone control

• Automatic volume control

• External audio input

• Alphanumeric messaging (somebody help me on this one, what would you do w/ that?)

• VOX buffer

This thing looks like the nuts.

HRO in VA has some FTM-10Rs in stock, less one.

It should be here before the end of the week.

Almost no available accessories, no Bluetooth available yet.

Potentially eliminates autocom:

Perhaps one of the basic units - 3 inputs.

Looks like it will accept PTT only - no VOX

Cellphone via bluetooth

1 audio input

Wonder what the priority is as far as audio source? When a FM call comes in, do all the other audio sources go quiet? If you're using a repeater, and you get a cell phone call, what happens.

Regardless, seems like an interesting box.

KC0LTU

Aren't there two models of this radio? one has 50 watts on 2m, methinks.

The 10R is 50w on 2m and 40w on 70cm. The RS is 10w on 2m and 7 on 70cm.

Cool, the first kid on the block with the coolest new toy.

Did they give any indication about the Bluetooth modules? I'd be real interested in seeing how they interface w/ Nolan's N-Com setup.

I'm on a Yahoo group for this radio and some of the guys bought them at Dayton from $329-379, but the didn't say what model. What price are the 10RS' going to come in?

Cool, the first kid on the block with the coolest new toy.

Did they give any indication about the Bluetooth modules? I'd be real interested in seeing how they interface w/ Nolan's N-Com setup.

I'm on a Yahoo group for this radio and some of the guys bought them at Dayton from $329-379, but the didn't say what model. What price are the 10RS' going to come in?

Apparently Yaesu isn't shipping the Bluetooth module yet.

The 10RS in Japan appears to be about 10% cheaper.

It actually showed up today. Not much time to mess with it today, but attached are some camera phone pics. The only Mic it comes with is the one that's built into the control head.

If you'd like better pic let me know. I'll post more when I get some time to diddle with it.

864210-img010.jpg.6abbfe6a84dec85278243c56f5440928.jpg

Where are you going to mount the unit on the bike? Have you made up your mind yet?

The drawer will end up in the radio box since I ride a RT-P.

The control head will initially be between the handlebars, but I'm thinking it may ultimately hang of the Migsel mount to the side of the GPS due to the size.

The antenna is initially hanging off the "factory" antenna mount, but I'm working on a variation to handle some additional hardware.

What's the difference between a cager on the phone and a BMW rider on the ham radio?

Just askin'.

What's the difference between a cager on the phone and a BMW rider on the ham radio?

Just askin'.

For the typical headset based motorcycle configuration, it's roughly equivalent to a handsfree car setup with about the same amount of potential distraction.

Beyond that, a few differences:

* With cell phone, even with caller ID, one doesn't know the nature of the call and may feel obligated to answer just in case it is an emergency call. With HAM radio, an emergency call will typically be announced in the initial call ("Mayday"). As a result, other calls are easier to ignore if circumstances make this desirable.

* Mobile Ham radio conversations are not typically prolonged, especially if a repeater is in use. While it is possible to carry on a sustained conversation, in reality this is not common.

* HAM radio is not private, whether simplex or across a repeater. This tends to limit conversations.

* Ham radio cannot be used for business purposes.

Just askin'.

SageRider has the technical differences well covered.

It's more the rider. I don't BS on the phone when I ride, if someone wants to continue BSing after I told them I need to go I tend to have dropped calls.

My calls generally consist of my wife asking me to pick something up. If I tell her I need to pay attention to road she's fine with it.

If it's an ex wife, I just don't pickup.grin.gif (Talk about the red mi$t!)

If more than a quick exchange of information on the radio required, then it's usually time to pull over.

and similar discipline with the other gizmos.

Just askin'.

As far as the distraction bit goes, I think the MAJOR difference is ham radio is simplex where a telephone is duplex.

With a radio one guy talks and the other listens. Then the roles are reversed. You can't hear the other guy while you are transmitting.

With a telephone both parties can talk at the same time and even sitting on the couch at home I have a hard time keeping track of what's being said when the person on the other end of the telephone keeps talking when they should be listening.

I have used radios in race cars for years and a radio has never caused a problem. Driving comes first, talking second.

I tend to think that many cell phone drivers think the phone is more important than the driving bit. (They probally think just about anything is more important than paying attention to driving.)

I have the high powered one on order from Universal.

Any have a recommendation for a flexible, rubber duckie type of antenna that can handle the power? I would like something like the Diamond RHF40 but it only handles 10 watts.

Thanks,

I would be concerned with the SWR of a rubber duckie type antenna. Their typical inefficiency could quickly burn something up when transmitting at high power settings. I use a Comet SBB5 (as does Sagerider) to handle the 50 watts output from the Kenwood D700A.

On a bike you will need a half wave antenna unless you can get a really good rf ground.

The Comet SBB5 mentioned is good, so is the comet hp32 but it is really heavy. The Diamond NR770 is another I have ued with good results. I just try to get a half wave so the lack of a good ground is not as important.

On a plastic motorcycle you should use a half wave for sure. I use a Larson with excellent results. I made a aluminum mounting base and use NMO style mount. Very professional looking and swr is excellent. By adding a small amount of copper or aluminum foil tape for a ground plane a small quarter wave dual band antenna can be used also. I have tried this also and once again with good results.

Comet HP32 "Rhino killer" is a great antenna and once more in production. But a very sturdy mount is needed.

The Comet SBB5 is a 2M 1/2Wave and 2* 5/8 wave 440MHz antenna and what I normally run as I do not believe the plastic rack with custom aluminum bracket on my R1200 is sturdy enough for the HP32 except for MARC (Motorcycling Amateur Radio Club) type charity work (from which I have been inactive since moving to Northern Nevada).

Anything shorter than the SBB5 on my bike currently sends the SWR through the roof.

SBB5

SWR on 2M about 1.3:1

SWR on 440 about 1.1:1

I have also converted to an NMO mount after reliability issues with UHF mounts.

AntennaMount3.jpg

steveknapp

I have the high powered one on order from Universal

The radio half on the higher power version is not waterproof, correct?

I have the high powered one on order from Universal

The radio half on the higher power version is not waterproof, correct?

Manual says that the head is build to the IP57 waterproof standard. Nothing mentioned about the drawer.

steveknapp

OK, the ad in the last QST (next to the head) says the low power version is waterproof all around, and the higher power "Drawer" half isn't waterproof.

The manuals, brochures and pictures are up on this Yaesu link. I spent a fair amount of time reading the manual last night and there are some really interesting features on this thing. The intercom looks somewhat limited. I'd still think the best route would be to run it through an Autocom, because it looks like the intercom is exclusive of listening to any of the other functions.

The Bluetooth boards aren't out yet, but I'd love to see how these all interact with the N-Com system from Nolan.

• 2 weeks later...
The manuals, brochures and pictures are up on this Yaesu link. I spent a fair amount of time reading the manual last night and there are some really interesting features on this thing. The intercom looks somewhat limited. I'd still think the best route would be to run it through an Autocom, because it looks like the intercom is exclusive of listening to any of the other functions.

The Bluetooth boards aren't out yet, but I'd love to see how these all interact with the N-Com system from Nolan.

My unit was put in the mail by Universal on Friday. As soon as the BT board becomes available, I am going to test it with a Motorola BT unit plugged into an Autocom. Currently my Zumo sees this combo as a BT headset and it works great with a BT phone; hopefully the Yaesu will see it as a headset as well. But will the Yaesu VOX work with BT?

KA4FOX

My plan for this is to get rid of the autocom, and just use the mic and earphones, but apparently the ptt adapter for the radio isnt available yet. Whats the manual say about hooking it up this way?

Obviously when ever the bluetooth stuff is working well I would switch to that.+

Anyone have a pin diagram for the Autocom headset cable? Also, what is the technical name of the plug Autocom uses for headsets and where might I buy some? I am thinking about building a small adapter cable so I can go right to Zumo or Yaesu and scrap the Autocom.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have a source for 7-pin mic cables that would fit the connector on the back of the FTM-10R? I had a couple, but pitched them cleaning out for a move recently and there are no surplus stores in the Greenville, SC area that I am aware of. Should be fairly simple to build an interface if cable if I can get one of those. The Yaesu CT-M11 is apparently not yet available.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have a source for 7-pin mic cables that would fit the connector on the back of the FTM-10R? I had a couple, but pitched them cleaning out for a move recently and there are no surplus stores in the Greenville, SC area that I am aware of. Should be fairly simple to build an interface if cable if I can get one of those. The Yaesu CT-M11 is apparently not yet available.

I'm pretty sure Associated Radio in Kansas City has them.

not affiliated.

Sounds like a "7-pin DIN" plug--recently bought one at Connect-Tech in Matthews (Charlotte) NC

Thanks to both of you on the sources. The Yaesu headset cords are now listed on all the major equipment dealer sites, but no one seems to have them in stock yet. If they don't have them by next week, I'll try to get a mic plug from one of the sources you referenced and make my own.

I saw the pdf file. Looks like it is going to be a pretty easy thing to interface directly to the Autocom headset lead. That and other websites have noted a number of problems with the FTM-10R....one guy has had to send his to Yaesu a couple of times for the same problem. The biggest issue I see with it is the complexity of programming the memories. You will have to do it all on the radio because RT Sytems is not planning to do programming software for this thing. I received the FTM-10SR yesterday. It is small, and on high power will only draw about 5 amps. I don't like that the separation cable is hardwired to the head unit. That means you will have to leave it on the bike all the time or go through a lot of trouble to remove it. I should have the CTM-11 in a couple of days and will cludge up an interface cable to see how it works out. My wife will continue to use the VX5R on hers.

I posted the CT-M11 pinout on the Yahoo group and I can provide it directly to anyone who is having troubles.

I'm trying to wire the FTM-10R directly to an Autocom 7-pin headset. I decided to avoid going through the Autocom unit because I stereo from the radio would be a problem -- I didn't want to add extra wires. I'm not a fan of BlueTooth because of the recharging issues. Yaesu documents estimate three hours of battery life listening to music.

Back the wiring: I have the mic and PTT working fine but I can't get sound to the helmet. It is possible that this is an issue with the MEK-M10 (head unit mic connection) but everything works fine with a mic plugged in. It is also possible that there is a soft switch that I don't understand yet.

I called Yaesu -- the tech guys haven't received a CT-M11 cable yet so they haven't tried to workout a headset yet.

Any ideas? confused.gif

Thanks in advance, Jim

I replied on the yahoo group too....

Have you set the speakers to "stereo?"

Another option might be to take the mic and PTT inputs from the CTM-11, but take the sound out of the stereo output jack on the back of your FTM-10R.

I'm still waiting for the CTM-11, but I also plan on trying the Bluetooth. There are a number of BT headset options showing up for helmets. Some indicate a long enough time for music to make them usable unless your an Ironbutt rider.

CT-M11 Update

First, if you wire the plug correctly, it probably works. I misread the pinout diagram and wired the socket using the plug diagram; my fault. dopeslap.gif I’m still not 100% sure what to do with the shield ground in the helmet – later experiment when I have more time.

I also know that the sound is always on the CT-M11 and the speaker settings make no difference; you can operate all or none of the speakers and still have helmet sound.

After my weekend trip, I’ll wire up another socket to ensure that I understand what I think I know before I start figuring out how to do the helmet and PTT switch cable assembly.

Jim

I also know that the sound is always on the CT-M11 and the speaker settings make no difference; you can operate all or none of the speakers and still have helmet sound

I wondered about that. That'll be pretty neat w/ an external speaker for the PA feature. I'm thinking a bicycle ref might use that feature.

I wondered about that. That'll be pretty neat w/ an external speaker for the PA feature. I'm thinking a bicycle ref might use that feature.

As a bicycle race referee, it could be useful, but it may be too many buttons to play with. Something for further experiment once the other problems are solved.

I know I can make the PTT work, but since I had the connection wired incorrectly, I believe that the transmitted sound in my earlier test MAY have been from the head unit mic. I wonder if the head unit mic is always on? confused.gif Something else to test.

Damn, another farkle to add to my bike. My list is growing faster than my wallet can keep up.

Any way this seems to do what I would want a MC radio to do,and more. Besides it is a wounderful excuse to add an antenna to a RTP grin.gif

• 1 month later...

Archived