IGNORED

Gear shifting problem on an RT1100

macajon

I'm a new member and am glad to have found a forum dedicated to BMW-RTs and the like.

I am hoping for advise or a comment on a problem I'm experiencing with my 1998 R1100-RT. I used to shift from 1st to 5th gear and at any speed smoothly and effortlessly with no problem.

When I reached about 16k miles on my odo (I now have 25k mi.), my problem stared when trying to shift from any gear esp. downshifting, and from any speed wherein the shift lever or gear seems to be stuck and am unable to shift up or down. A re-release of the clutch lever (and revving the engine?) with another attempt to shift most often would give me a positive result.

My concern is that it used to not be this way so I suspect there may be something wrong. Also, I may lose that much-valuable time downshifting in a real emergency situation.

Is there something wrong with my gears or clutch assembly which needs replacing or an adjustment? I've already adjusted my clutch lever cable and tried different clutch/gear shift sync habits, all to no avail. Would a simple transmission fluid change fix the problem (wishful thinking)?

Thank you. Any advice or thoughts on this is truly appreciated.

Could be something as simple as dry splines or a clutch misadjustment but unfortunately I think it's probably something more involved than that. As a first step I would do an oil change and inspect the drained oil carefully. The drained oil should look pretty much the same as the new oil that goes back in, otherwise any noticeable color change or metal in the fluid or on the magnetic drain plug obviously means trouble. Send a sample of the drained oil to Blackstone for analysis. If it shows clean so far so good, but I think it may indicate that you have a bearing on the way out.

Thank you SMiller and Terry for your help. Also, the link to a previous thread on this same problem was very helpful. I didn't know that this is not a uncommon problem with the R11XX but fortunately it also appears to be a simple fix, hopefully.

I'll print copies of the posts to bring to Mt. Diablo BMW in Walnut Creek to show the dealer so these (i.e. clutch fluid bleed & change and/or a spline lube) may be done in addition to my next scheduled maintenance service.

Again, THANKS!!! And ride safe.

Thank you also to BMWSportTouring for such a great and very helpful forum.

Nikki M.

Benicia, CA

Thank you SMiller and Terry for your help. Also, the link to a previous thread on this same problem was very helpful. I didn't know that this is not a uncommon problem with the R11XX but fortunately it also appears to be a simple fix, hopefully.

I'll print copies of the posts to bring to Mt. Diablo BMW in Walnut Creek to show the dealer so these (i.e. clutch fluid bleed & change and/or a spline lube) may be done in addition to my next scheduled maintenance service.

Again, THANKS!!! And ride safe.

Thank you also to BMWSportTouring for such a great and very helpful forum.

Nikki M.

Benicia, CA

One point, your 1100 has a cable clutch, not hydraulic. Check the adjustment, espeically cable free-play but I doubt that this is your problem.

It is worth checking, cleaning and lubeing the gearshift linkage behind the lefthand foot plate before you tear into the bike. Spline lubes are a big job and consume either a lot of time for you or money if you pay a dealer to do it.

Andy

As Andy noted the 1100 is different than the 1150 with respect to clutch actuation. The 1100RT does have a common problem with the two-position shift lever height adjustment bolt working loose which will quickly cause shifting problems, but when this occurs things usually go downhill fast leading to rapid discovery of the problem. By all means, check all external things that you can but if you run out of options I'd get an oil sample analyzed before you tear into the bike. If it indicates a problem you want to know that in advance, lest you lube the splines and go through all the work to reassemble the bike only to learn that the problem is still there.

In any event find out what is wrong and don't ignore the symptoms. Even in the unlucky event that you do have an internal problem, most can be fixed with a minimal amount of parts replacement (especially for a low miles bike like yours) if caught early, but there are many problems that can cause a lot of secondary damage if left to progress.

In order I'd check:

External shift linkage, there are several points where it could be loose. Including the mentioned position adjustment and where the linkage connects to the transmission's shifting shaft.

Clutch cable adjustment. There are two points, upper and lower to be adjusted correctly.

Spline lube needed. Now you're getting into the 'big stuff.'

Transmission internal shift fork damage. Of course disassembly of the tranny is requires to investigate.

Probably not shift forks, not if the problem is occurring in all gears. If it is an internal problem could be a (high-drag) failing bearing or a problem with the selector shaft/shift drum.

Of course we are all pulling for a simple linkage problem though... grin.gif

I have the same exact problem on my 1999 R1100RT and I'm taking my bike to a mechanic this week. I'll post back if I find an answer.

Regarding the loosening of the shift lever bolt on an R1100 RT, I am having that problem after some maintenace to the final drive and cleaning of the starter. I was considering using locktite to keep the bolt for getting loose. Is there another course of action that is more appropriate?

Right now it's an pain in the butt but easily fixed with an allen wrench. But it re-occures shortly after tightening.

Jim

Archived