IGNORED

Final Drive fluid

just954rr

Hola!..has anyone ever seen or heard of ATF fluid in the Final Drive ?...I had mine changed about 2 yrs ago...today i went to change it and when i drained it guess what..RED and smelled EXACTLY like ATF....any comments?

Urban Surfer

It probaly wasn't ATF fluid. ( I hope it wasn't) Red line makes a very heavy gear oil that is actually red, and does have a nasty odor. This stuff is really thick, unlike ATF fluid. Redline does not recomend it in the final drive, due to the fact that it can plug the small vent hole. Any way check the viscosity, there is a big difference.

I'm pretty sure it's ATF..anyway i flushed it twicw and added the corrects fluid.....tranny as soon as i order the tool to remove plug..the last fluids change were done by MAX BMW..in NH

BMW's own newest synthetic is also red in color. My guess is that is what Max's used. It would be unusual for them in particular to goof and use ATF.

DavidEBSmith

Ummm, did anybody mention that BMW's gear oil is red and looks and smells like ATF?

(Actually, it looks and smells better than the ATF in my Exploder transmission . . . )

Ummm, did anybody mention that BMW's gear oil is red and looks and smells like ATF?

(Actually, it looks and smells better than the ATF in my Exploder transmission . . . )

That's because the Exploder fluid you smelled was pooled on the floor off your garage. Fluid always smeels better fresh out of the container or gearbox.

Hi, cool.gif

The main difference between ATF and actual gear oil is the viscosity. Gear oil is thick and syrupy whereas ATF is runny. If it had been ATF in your final drive I doubt if it could last a whole service cycle as the stresses on the final drive gears would have worn the gears out! ATF just would not be able to do the job gear oil is designed for ie prevent metal to metal contact even under extreme stresses and loads.

Thanks.

Regards

Tio N H

smile.gif

Clive Liddell

I use what is recommended in the handbook:

GL5 90 for gearbox and final drive on the bike.

BTW my Mercedes manual gearbox specifies ATF (old "A" spec).

Archived