assembly back into the fuel tank and I am running into

several problems.

1) The round base plate assembly #1 in the attached picture

is catching on the inner lip because the outer hose clamps

is to large. This isn't one of the fuel lines but I think

it is one of the breather lines. I'm using a 1/4" FI hose

clamp and it's too bulky. Is there something smaller? Can

I use a white nylon zip tie and cinch it down tight enough

to not come off? Do I need to use an Oeteker type?

2) Is there any way to tell which breather line is which?

If I get them hooked up in the wrong order what is the

worst that could happen?

Thanks!

832652-r1150rt40.thumb.gif.6986c3c004fa260baa6c8c903389cba4.gif

russell_bynum

The screw-type clamps will work...it just takes some fiddling to get them in a position that allows everything to fit together.

Not sure about the two breather lines.

Is there any way to tell which breather line is which? If I get them hooked up in the wrong order what is the worst that could happen?

Thanks!

Not at first glance. Unfortunately, it can be a bit of a problem if you get them crossed up. One of the lines comes from the hole at the top of the gas cap. It is mainly a drain for water which gets around the top of the gas cap in the rain or when you wash the bike. It drains to the atmosphere next to your right foot. The other one goes from the inside of the tank to the canister. It is for emissions.

If you get them wrong, the canister will fill with water and become clogged. Then, whenever you wash the bike or get caught in the rain, the water will pool inside the gas cap and will run down into your tank when you open it.

I would remove the canister IAW the instructions from www.ibmwr.org. Alternatively, you could run a thin wire down the hole by the gas cap and see which vent line it pops out. Ore you could blow some compressed air up the vent lines and see which one vents to the hole at the top of the gas tank. Connect the hose that goes to the top of the cap to the lower hose that goes down by your right foot.

Joe Frickin' Friday
1) The round base plate assembly #1 in the attached picture

is catching on the inner lip because the outer hose clamps

is to large. This isn't one of the fuel lines but I think

it is one of the breather lines. I'm using a 1/4" FI hose

clamp and it's too bulky. Is there something smaller? Can

I use a white nylon zip tie and cinch it down tight enough

to not come off? Do I need to use an Oeteker type?

You should not need to remove the vent lines from either side of that sending unit. There is a connection in the lines just to the rear of the fuel tank mount bolt, on the right side of the bike; pull the hoses from this connection instead. No clamp action required. On 1100's, one of these hoses was marked with "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" on both sides of the connector, but I think they skipped this on the 1150's, so you have to mark one of the lines on both sides of the connector yourself to keep track of what goes where. Masking tape works fine.

2) Is there any way to tell which breather line is which?

If I get them hooked up in the wrong order what is the

worst that could happen?

One of them vents fuel tank vapors through the charcoal cannister. The other line drains rainwater from around the filler cap through a hose hanging down by the right footpeg; open the fill cap, you'll see the small hole up there somewhere. If you have a can of dust-off (or a compressor), blow some air through that drain hole up by the filler cap, and see which hose it comes out of. That's your rainwater drain. Now check the two fittings it could connect to: blow some air through those, and whichever one squirts out air down by your footpeg, that's your rainwater drain. Connect that hose to that fitting, and the other hose to the other fitting, and you're good to go. thumbsup.gif

Yes "zip" ties will work just fine. There is no significant pressure on the vent lines.

ISFA which is which, within the tank to the plate, it makes little difference which hose routes to which exit point on the plate. But once the hose routing exits the tank, as mentioned you don't want to confuse which is the water drain and which is the tank space vent (that goes to the vapor recovery charcoal canister). An easy way to sort them out is once the tank is back together and back on the bike, blow into each hose going back into it. With the filler cap open, which one is its rim water drain will be clear.

David Sharpe

Thank you all for your responses. Using the zip tie allowed the cover to align with the screw holes very nicely and using compressed air to figure out which hose connected to which worked also.

This board rocks clap.gif

Yes "zip" ties will work just fine. There is no significant pressure on the vent lines.

Beware of using "zip" ties that aren't petrol resistant. They'll dissolve,and fuel will then leak past the breather/drain line inside the tank that's just staying connected by a push fit. And beware of using compressed air to blow though/clean out the drain/breather line. You can blow it off the connection to the fuel pump housing, again causing the fuel to empty through the open connection.

Urban Surfer

I didn't have the proper clamps when I did mine, and I was far from home. I used stainless wire on the vent tubes, and regular fuel line clamps on the gas lines.

Archived