IGNORED

PIAA 1100X Wiring question

Cyber

I'm in the process of installing PIAA 1100X Kit 74150 on my 2004 R1150RT. I have all the hardware attached and working on the wiring harness install. There's a white wire called the switch power wire that only has a single instruction "Find a power source to connect the switch power wire to."

I have no idea where to hook this wire? Any help or diagrams would really be appreciated. I don't know much about the standard wiring so the more detailed the better.

Thanks for the help,

Dave

Aluminum_Butt

I don't know the color scheme here, but assuming there is one other (probably red, probably bigger) wire that you are instructed to connect straight to the battery, then you can connect the wire you're asking about to just about any switched power source. Many folks tap into the wire for the parking lamp, as it's in the general vicinity of what you're doing already, and fairly easy to get to.

Connecting it to a source that is controlled by your ignition (as the parking lamp is) will cause the lights to go off automatically when you turn off the bike.

I have mine connected to the output side of the High Beam relay. That way my driving lights can only be turned on when my high beam is activated.

If you are running them as fog lights, then connect the white wire to the output of the low beam relay.

Unfortunatly, I can't help you there. I haven't had any problems with my lights, so I've never had to look for the relay. I actually just walked out to my bike and checked the owners manual and under the seat........I can't believe that BMW doesn't have a fusebox layout printed somewhere on the bike (unless I'm missing it somewhere). I'm sure someone else will pop up and give an answer.

I know as soon as I find a layout myself, I'm going to print it out and shove it into my owners manual.

Aluminum_Butt
Now for the newbie question -- how do I find / identify the low beam relay?

There isn't much point in running a wire all the way back to the relay (which I assume is under the seat on an RT). Instead, just tap into the wire that feeds your low beam bulb near the headlight assembly. Electrically speaking, it's the exact same thing.

Look for the wiring harness that feeds into the back of the headlight assembly. Use a test light to find out which wire(s) is hot when you turn on the ignition. This will either be the low beam light or the parking light - either will suffice if you want the driving lights whenever the igition is on.

You can get a test light at Walmart or an auto parts store of $5 or less. It looks like an ice pick, but has a light bulb in it, and a cord coming out the back with an alligator clip. Put the alligator clip on a ground point (unpainted metal surface), then push the ice pick end through the insulation of a wire to see if it's hot (light bulb comes on).

how do I find / identify the low beam relay?
There are no headlight relays on the R1150RT.

The wire to the high beam is a white/white. The one to the low beam is a yellow/white. Easiest place to find them is right at the headlamp assembly.

There are no headlight relays on the R1150RT.

Seriously? Wow......the bean counters are everywhere. Actually, come to think of it......my old Suzuki GSXR didn't have relays either. I found that out after I melted a wiring harness connection by using 90W/100W headlight bulbs on a 100+ degree day.

I tapped into the tail light wire in the tail/brake light assembly (soldered the wire, no 3M pressure clip things). I thought it was a lot easier to get to than the nose cone section, FWIW. wave.gif

Success clap.gif

Was able to hook into the low beam (yellow/white) wire. A bit of a pain to get to.

Now, if I can get this thing back together without too many left over parts wink.gif

Thanks to all for your help !!!

Archived