IGNORED

R12RT tool kit

GoGo Gadget

GoGo Gadget

I must say that I am a little disappointed. I get my new bike and pop the seat of as the dealer is going over everything with me. I look at the tool kit that is smaller than my wallet. The dealer remarks that BMW really does not want you working on the bikes. Ok, that seems to be the trend these days. No big deal. But then I run across the "Supplemental tool kit" online. It has everything the old tool kit from 04 RT had it seems. So it is not that BMW does not want you working on them, they just want to sell you extra stuff so you can work on them.

Is the kit from BMW worth it or just piece together my own kit from Sears/home Depot/ Snap on on wherever? Seems to me, getting the Touratech bag designed to fit under the seat and making a trip to the hardware/auto parts store for tools would be better.

My theory is that they (BMW) eliminated the "real" tool kit as part of their drive to reduce weight of the new Hexheads. This assumes that the tool kit weight ws/is included in the dry/wet weights. smile.gif

Ditto. What toolkit? I made my own kit. It has enough tools to take off the wheels, remove the fairing and valve covers, adjust the valves and I added duct tape and JB Weld.

You would do better putting together a kit for yourself.

The SO bought one for me. While much appreciated, it's not really worth the asking price and you can probably make it more complete for less cost.

GoGo Gadget
You would do better putting together a kit for yourself.

The SO bought one for me. While much appreciated, it's not really worth the asking price and you can probably make it more complete for less cost.

That is pretty much what I figured. BEsides what is offered in the supplemental kit, what else would come in handy. I seem to remember seeing a reference to a BMW tool needed to remove the rear tire or something.

Archived